News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?

Started by emay, July 20, 2012, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Undermind

Quote from: Guyute on December 14, 2012, 11:03:54 PM
To say this hit close to home puts it mildly.  I live a couple towns away, my kids schools were put on lockdown.  It was a half day though and they didn't inform the parents.  All everyone knew was that there kids were late and the initial reports were that a second shooter had got away and they were searching for him.   I just drove to the school was my solution.

Today was also the 20th anniversary of Wayne Lo and the Simons Rock shooting.  I grew up in that area, was my senior year in high school and my parents and a friend that worked there in security. 

Just crazy shit.
Wow man!  I just can't imagine the thoughts going through your head.  Just horrendous.  Glad you and yours are ok.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

DoW

copying and pasting from a shared FB post.
what happened today still hasn't sunk in.

This is Victoria Soto, and although I didn't know her, she is my hero. I don't know too much about her, but I know a lot of people who do know her and she's amazing. Victoria was a Stratford high graduate and only 27. She was killed today after she hid her first graders in closets and cabinets and told the shooter they were in the gym. He killed her and not one of her children were harmed. I have never been more proud to be from Stratford or to be a teacher. God bless Victoria, her family and friends, and all of those who were involved today in anyway. Victoria is a true hero.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

PIE-GUY

In all seriousness, the Onion nailed it today...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuck-everything-nation-reports,30743/

Fuck Everything, Nation Reports

WASHINGTON—Following the fatal shooting this morning at a Connecticut elementary school that left at least 27 dead, including 20 small children, sources across the nation shook their heads, stifled a sob in their voices, and reported fuck everything. Just fuck it all to hell.

All of it, sources added.

"I'm sorry, but fuck it, I can't handle this—I just can't handle it anymore," said Deborah McEllis, who added that "no, no, no, no, no, this isn't happening, this can't be real." "Seriously, what the hell is this? What's even going on anymore? Why do things like this keep happening?"

Continued McEllis, before covering her face with her hands, "Why?"

Despairing sources confirmed that the gunman, armed with a semiautomatic assault rifle—a fucking combat rifle, Jesus—walked into a classroom full of goddamned children where his mother was a teacher and, good God, if this is what the world is becoming, then how about we just pack it in and fucking give up, because this is no way to live.

I mean, honestly, all 315 million Americans confirmed.

"Well, I suppose we have to try to pick up the pieces and make some sort of sense of this tragedy and—you know what? Fuck it, I can't do this," said Connecticut resident Michael Zaleski, his remarks understandable given the circumstances, because, holy shit, what else can one say? "I'm sorry, but I can't fucking do this. Can you? Can anyone?"

Witnesses said the gunman fired at least 100 rounds during his deadly rampage, which, according to children in the school—goddamnit, how? How? Twenty children. Dead. In a fucking school.

No. No, no, no.

"I just feel so [why does it even matter what this person said when no words can bring 20 dead kids back to life?]" said some person who, just like everyone else, is completely unable to process or handle any of this. "It's awful. Just too awful to bear."

Americans reported feelings of overwhelming disgust with whatever abhorrent bastard did this and with the world at large for ever allowing it to happen, as well as with politicians, with the NRA, and above all with their own pathetic goddamn selves, sitting in front of a fucking computer instead of doing fucking anything to help anyone—Christ, as if that were even fucking possible, as if anyone could change what happened, as if the same fucking bullshit isn't going to keep happening again and again and fucking again before people finally decide it's time to change the way we live, so what's the point? What the hell is the goddamned point?

"I..." said Tom Miller, 27, after reading an article about the tragedy online. "I just..."

"..." he added.

At press time...screw it, there's nothing else to say.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

antelope19

Add me to the fuck all this camp.

Expecting our politicians to address this ASAP. Shit needs to change like yesterday.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

emay

Morgan Freeman's statement about these random shootings....

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you kn
ow the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

barnesy305

rowjimmy

runawayjimbo

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on December 15, 2012, 12:26:07 PM

Snopes'd

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/newtown.asp

We haven't found any source documenting the attribution of these words to actor Morgan Freeman, so most likely the quote is something that originated elsewhere and was later attributed to Morgan Freeman to lend it a sense of gravitas.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: runawayjimbo on December 16, 2012, 11:36:12 AM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on December 15, 2012, 12:26:07 PM

Snopes'd

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/newtown.asp

We haven't found any source documenting the attribution of these words to actor Morgan Freeman, so most likely the quote is something that originated elsewhere and was later attributed to Morgan Freeman to lend it a sense of gravitas.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

emay

Damn just had dinner with my dad this evening and he said he went to that elementary school for 2 years before moving back to Albany, NY. Freaky. Said he was really torn up when he saw the footage of the school and of the community...still cant get over this situation.
And another guy was found today with 47 guns and plans to shoot up an elementary school near him!? This shit has gotta stop.

I know runawayjimbo would rather point of fallacies on about the situation but this shit is getting pretty serious. Theres too many mental ill people with guns out there. 

runawayjimbo

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on December 16, 2012, 08:38:13 PM
I know runawayjimbo would rather point of fallacies on about the situation but this shit is getting pretty serious. Theres too many mental ill people with guns out there.

Yeah, I'd much rather nitpick people's words instead of having a thorough debate about a complex issue. That totally sounds like me.

emay

Quote from: runawayjimbo on December 17, 2012, 02:50:19 AM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on December 16, 2012, 08:38:13 PM

Yeah, I'd much rather nitpick people's words instead of having a thorough debate about a complex issue. That totally sounds like me.

I know you do man, thats why I am surprised to see you didnt post something that will actually open up a discussion.

Its interesting, the GOP said they will not make a statement on this other than that it is a tragedy and that they will let the President speak for them/America. I guess the "guns dont kill people, people kill people" wouldnt resonate well with the general public this time? At this point I dont think there is much to say, there needs to be something done, not said, to bring these acts of violence down,.