News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Bonnaroo Bitchfest

Started by postjack, February 09, 2010, 10:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellerb

Quote from: Phishy69 on February 10, 2010, 09:49:59 AM
DUI for driving a bike, that's insane.  Are they just trying to boost sales for the cab companies?

Nope, for their budgets  (and the lawyers)

phil

I really don't like Bonnaroo.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

mattstick

Yeah, great music festivals are the worst.

rowjimmy

Festivals are awesome... It's music that fucking blows.

phil

Just because it's packed full of people doesn't make it a great music festival. When I went in '06, it seemed that the three or four acts I was most excited about all weekend happened to all be playing at or around the same time. The rest of the weekend I was forced to watch Big Nazo or something else I didn't give a rat's ass about (it wasn't actually big nazo, I'm just using that as an example.) That combined with the sheer number of people was very offputting to me. I think I'll stick to smaller festivals (allgood anyone?)
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

mattstick

It seems like your problem was that you only wanted to see 3 or 4 bands at Bonnaroo in '06.

rowjimmy

Just because it's packed full of people doesn't make it a bad music festival. When I went in '07, it seemed that the three or four acts I was most excited about all weekend happened to be playing at the best possible times. The rest of the weekend I was able to catch tons of amazing acts that I might never have seen or even heard of- some of which are now favorites. That, combined with the general ease of movement despite the sheer number of people was very impressive to me. It seems ridiculous though, to compare it to "smaller festivals" especially when those are way bigger than they used to be. (allgood @ wilmer's park, anyone?)

phil

Quote from: mattstick on February 15, 2011, 09:40:37 AM

It seems like your problem was that you only wanted to see 3 or 4 bands at Bonnaroo in '06.

Phil and Friends (with john scofield) was the only act I truly cared about seeing that year. Les Claypool was cool as well, as was Elvis Costello with Allen Toussaint. I honestly couldn't tell you anyone else that was even there that year besides Matisyahu (meh) and Rusted Root (and I really only know they were there because my dad was raving about their set.)

My biggest beef with it will always be the overlapping sets. That makes absolutely no sense to me. At allgood, I can post up on the hill and see every act throughout the whole day. For me, that's more enjoyable that running around looking for the which stage and the what tent and trying to make it on time to catch certain acts.

In all likelihood, I'll go to neither and save my money for phish shows this summer.

rowjimmy

Quote from: phil on February 15, 2011, 09:49:25 AM

Phil and Friends (with john scofield) was the only act I truly cared about seeing that year. Les Claypool was cool as well, as was Elvis Costello with Allen Toussaint. I honestly couldn't tell you anyone else that was even there that year besides Matisyahu (meh) and Rusted Root (and I really only know they were there because my dad was raving about their set.)

My biggest beef with it will always be the overlapping sets. That makes absolutely no sense to me. At allgood, I can post up on the hill and see every act throughout the whole day. For me, that's more enjoyable that running around looking for the which stage and the what tent and trying to make it on time to catch certain acts.

In all likelihood, I'll go to neither and save my money for phish shows this summer.

I agree with matt. It sounds to me like you picked the wrong year to go. I went in 07 because I was psyched about a lot of the lineup. If you only go for a few bands you aren't going to get your money/time's worth .

sophist

Sounds like you failed to pack enough sherm Phil.  Sherm Shortage'd
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

phil

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 15, 2011, 09:52:16 AM

I agree with matt. It sounds to me like you picked the wrong year to go. I went in 07 because I was psyched about a lot of the lineup. If you only go for a few bands you aren't going to get your money/time's worth .

I mostly went because my dad and I were driving across Tenn. visiting colleges anyway. Due to some crafty scheduling, we just happened to be passing by that way on Friday. It seemed like an opportunity not to be passed up. I'm glad I went, and I likely will not go back.

Quote from: sophist on February 15, 2011, 09:53:25 AM
Sounds like you failed to pack enough sherm Phil.  Sherm Shortage'd

No sherm, but a grouchy black man did sell me bunk mushrooms. That was cool.

rowjimmy

Quote from: phil on February 15, 2011, 09:57:24 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on February 15, 2011, 09:52:16 AM

I mostly went because my dad and I were driving across Tenn. visiting colleges anyway. Due to some crafty scheduling, we just happened to be passing by that way on Friday. It seemed like an opportunity not to be passed up. I'm glad I went, and I likely will not go back.

Failure to ride perfect storm to Port Awesome is failure.

McGrupp

Bonnaroo isn't my type of fest... I'd go for teh phish if they played there again, though...

/$.02
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

McGrupp

I just re-read this thread...

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Dissing bonnaroo... you'd think I dissed someone's mom.

"Dorothy mantooth is a SAINT!! you hear me?! Dorothy Mantooth is a SAINT!!"
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

phil

Quote from: McGrupp on February 15, 2011, 10:40:43 AM
I just re-read this thread...

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Dissing bonnaroo... you'd think I dissed someone's mom.

"Dorothy mantooth is a SAINT!! you hear me?! Dorothy Mantooth is a SAINT!!"

I'm gonna take Bonnaroo out for a nice seafood dinner and then NEVER call her again.