News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Minor

Quote from: whatapiper on September 17, 2009, 10:24:49 AM
Wow, thanks everyone! This weekend I will play around a bit. I asked apple care about more ram and they told me it would cost 200 to instal on site. He said I could also do it myself for a fraction of the cost.    How difficult would it be to do myself? I'm assuming I have to take part of the monitor apart

I upgraded to 2G of RAM and did it myself and it cost me around $120 for 2 1G RAM sticks (iirc as it was earlier this summer).  Super easy to do on your own, though.

rowjimmy

Alumni

Wow, thanks everyone! This weekend I will play around a bit. I asked apple care about more ram and they told me it would cost 200 to instal on site. He said I could also do it myself for a fraction of the cost.    How difficult would it be to do myself? I'm assuming I have to take part of the monitor apart

That's some expensive memory. I took my notebook from 1G to 4G by purchasing 2 2GB sticks from newegg.com. Cost was under $70.
Cause I got a degree

rowjimmy

Yeah, you don't want to purchase your ram from Apple.

ytowndan

Quote from: AlumniGreens on September 17, 2009, 12:35:42 PM

That's some expensive memory. I took my notebook from 1G to 4G by purchasing 2 2GB sticks from newegg.com. Cost was under $70.

Yeah, newegg has great deals.  I got 4 GB of DDR3 RAM a few weeks ago for 79 bucks. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

whatapiper

Quote from: AlumniGreens on September 17, 2009, 12:35:42 PM

nice, i went to the apple store and the guy basically said the same, except he "could not" tell me where to look.   i will check out newegg here soon, 70 is more like like it...

thanks again
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

rowjimmy

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

I was sitting in front of this machine this afternoon thinking to myself, I need some stuff on here...

What stuff do I need?

This thread got me started.

hesthemamba

A collection of the best of the best mac apps. All open source - hence the domain name.

http://www.opensourcemac.org/

It has most of the things mentioned in the thread +more!!
there goes my afternoon.... :banana:
He was a naked pa.

whatapiper

Quote from: hesthemamba on March 19, 2010, 03:05:34 PM
A collection of the best of the best mac apps. All open source - hence the domain name.

wow, thanks!
beginning to end
we belong

rowjimmy

Quote from: hesthemamba on March 19, 2010, 03:05:34 PM

Officially love this site.
Thanks.

whatapiper

it looks like i finally have some money to spend on new ram!!! finally!!!!
now i just need to get the confidence to do it myself :shakehead:
im not computer savvy in the slightest so am i making a mistake by trying to do it myself?  ive seen a youtube vid of a guy using a suction cup to pull the screen out and that makes me nervous....
beginning to end
we belong

whatapiper

and btw i love VLC Media Player, closest thing to winamp ive found.  dropping flac files into itunes is a pain imo
beginning to end
we belong

whatapiper

so when getting my mac fixed the lady at the genius bar politely told me there is a screw under the apple logo to easily pull out and install new ram, is this new?
beginning to end
we belong