News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The First Debate

Started by cactusfan, September 26, 2008, 01:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

man, i can't wait.
especially because poor, scared johnny m. might actually skip out on it, which is frankly astounding.
has there ever been a presidential debate where one cadidate was too scared to take part?
it's just incredible.
plus he even suggested the first pres debate be postponed and held IN PLACE of the vp debate.
which debate will then be, ummm, postponed until, err, how about nov. 5?
you can't make this shit up.
not only is palin incapable of talking to the press, she can't even handle a debate.
but she's ready to be president, by gosh!
i keep thinking my jaw can't drop any lower, but mccain just keeps on getting nuttier and nuttier and more and more desperate. it's the most colossal trainwreck in campaign history, is it not?
seriously, i can't wait for friday night.

what do people think? will mccain's blink be further blinked? will he show up? won't it be utter political suicide to abandon an agreed upon debate at which, if left alone, obama will simply talk for 90 minutes to tens of millions of viewers/voters?

pulling up a chair and popping my popcorn...

Hicks

A colossal trainwreck that just may get him elected.   :|
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

DoW

do people really think john mccain is scared of obama?  are you serious?
if you want to hear about obama TALK about what he can do, go ahead.  I want to watch US Senators actually do what they were elected to do.

the people who care about this debate already have their mind made up on who they will vote for.  why do you want to watch it?  in case you didn;t realize this, depending on your views, you can make an argument for either party winning the debate.  it is all relative to what side of the spectrum you are on.

in my opinion (and it is onyl an opinion), this is typical of obama.  he is a great talker on what he can do, but has nothing to show for it which is why HE is scared to go to washignton and actually try to DO something.

flame away.  I'll respond over the weekend as I ahve a hell of a day in front of me and won't ahve time to "debate."  I have an actual job to do.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mattstick

I don't think John McCain is scared to debate Obama, but I do think he's a fucking drama queen for making such a big deal about this.

If he can't handle doing his job and running for President then he probably can't handle being President.

DoW

ok.  one work email already sent off.
well, I think there is a lot of debate over whether Obama is in fact doing his job and whether he ever did his job as a Senator.

rowjimmy

Hold up, son.

John McCain hasn't cast a vote in the Senate since April 8.

(source: http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/m000303/votes/)

Obama last cast a vote on July 9.

(source: http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/o000167/votes/)

In that lag time where McCain was out full-time and Obama was multitasking, Obama cast votes on the following issues:

FISA, Retroactive Telecom Immunity, Social Security, Medicare, Access for Rural Americans, Civil Rights, Age Discrimination, Flood Insurance Reform and FINANCIAL SOLVENCY of the national flood insurance program, Lowering Costs of Petroleum, Collective Bargaining Rights for Public Employees, the congressional budget for the United States Government for fiscal year 2009, Military Construction, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and related agencies.

Fact is, this current attempt to strike a bailout deal had nothing to do with presidential politics until McCain preempted the joint statement that he and Obama agreed upon with his declaration that he was going to suspend his campaign and rush to Washington. McCain then did not go to Washington until mid-day the following day after making a stops on the set of CBS news and at the Clinton Global Initiative. He's grandstanding to give the appearance of leadership when, by his own admission, he's not so sharp on the economy stuff.

rowjimmy

I was gonna put this in the Political images thread but...

Phunkaddict

Don't forget his stop on the Rachel Ray show, to talk about grilling. Yup, GRILLING. Suspend the campain to talk about grilling (save the country).  :lol:
And The Light Is Growing Brighter Now

DoW

Just look at what they have accomplished in the Senate.  This is a very unfair argument because it takes serving a couple of terms to really build up a resume, but right now, we need leadership in the Senate to step forward.

You also need to understand that I am sure as hell not saying McCain can accomplish this, but I would love to see what he can do as a lot of Americans should be interested in seeing.  Why are so many liberals scared to see what McCain can do?  If he is bad, let him fall flat on his face.  Obama likes to talk.  Let's see if he can actually do anything.  He brags about how he can bring people together.  Where is he when we need it?  if you really don;t want to see what McCain or Obama can do, then your mind is already made up and you will never accept otherwise anyway.  but I say, let them work and let's see.

Again, there are always two sides to a story but a lot of people (not necessarily on this board) only want to look at things through a tunnel.
I (and this is me and MY opinion) can;t understand why people think TALKING about issues and what they CLAIM they can do is more important than doing something.  and this applies to both candidates.

and thanks for the person who smited me for voicing an opinion.  now you get smited for discussing politics.  and no, I didn;t smite hicks for discussing politics.  I smited him for erroneously sayng that my post was attacking him and his views.

rowjimmy

I'll give you a +k after I'm done typing this...

But anyway... McCain and Obama have established their respective records. This trip home is grandstanding on McCain's part and I'm disappointed but not surprised that Obama allowed himself to be bullied into it.

What's important now is that they follow through on their commitment to debate tonight.

The American voters deserve it.

They don't deserve empty rhetoric and posturing without substance. You wanna (not) rush to Washington to get your photo-op? fine. But get your saggy ass on a plane and in front of the moderator on Friday night.

Now, do we want to see if McCain will achieve something or fall on his face, of course we do. It's already backfiring on him. The problem is that he's so completely full of shit when he says he's putting aside the campaign to go solve this crisis. If it were true, he'd forgo the announcements, and simply fly to Washington and allow his actions speak for him.

gah

bvaz, please see "McCain Leaps into a Thicket" posted on the Road to November thread, last page. by rowjimmy, for an explanation of "bragging about bringing people together". Obama is actually doing it, and McCain is not, simple fact. Stated by his fellow senators.

And please explain to me why I should be interested in seeing what McCain can do? I am a liberal and you ask why am I "so scared to see what McCain can do?" Look around you, we've seen what he can do for the last 8 YEARS! He has voted with Bush 90% of the time, why should I think he is going to be that much different from what we have just been through?

Simple question you need to as yourself, quoted from Reagan, Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago? Let me ask you that, are you better off, is this country better off today than it was 8 years ago? If being in a war and on the edge of financial collapse is better to you than by all means, please explain. I am VERY open to hearing this.

Why are YOU so scared to see what Obama can do? It really doesn't matter cause you'll be dealing with is for the next four years and I hope you bitch and complain and make stickers that say 01.20.13 Obama's last day....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 26, 2008, 10:19:15 AM
It really doesn't matter cause you'll be dealing with is for the next four years and I hope you bitch and complain and make stickers that say 01.20.13 Obama's last day....

There's no need for this sentence...

sophist

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 26, 2008, 10:19:15 AM
bvaz, please see "McCain Leaps into a Thicket" posted on the Road to November thread, last page. by rowjimmy, for an explanation of "bragging about bringing people together". Obama is actually doing it, and McCain is not, simple fact. Stated by his fellow senators.

And please explain to me why I should be interested in seeing what McCain can do? I am a liberal and you ask why am I "so scared to see what McCain can do?" Look around you, we've seen what he can do for the last 8 YEARS! He has voted with Bush 90% of the time, why should I think he is going to be that much different from what we have just been through?

How and when does the president vote?
He doesn't.  He suggests policy and the policy is implemented (or not) by the legislative branch.  That is a "scare" tactic talking point.  Let's focus on the actual flaws and real flubs of McCain. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gimmetela

i think both men will be in attendance.  obama will not back down, and mccain would be an idiot not to show up. 

and it's not like either of them are going to actually READ the bailout plan.  their personal spin doctors will spin it to them and they will vote accordingly.  and it's not like the bailout plan came to fruition LAST week.  that shit's been in the makes for a while.  you're silly if you think OUR government acts that fast. 

kinda like the patriot act...

that said, i'll be interested to watch it and see what happens.  personally, i think obama's going to stomp a mudhole in mccain.

antelope19

What time is this all supposed to go down??? 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment