News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/06 - Great Woods - Mansfield, MA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, June 06, 2009, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrum

Quote from: ytowndan on June 07, 2009, 02:36:19 AM
Quote from: Hicks on June 07, 2009, 02:23:20 AM
Yeah they need to bust out a Glide to make up for the Coventry version.

There was something wrong with it?  I don't understand your remark.   :?

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Gol D. Roger

WARNING: DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK ABOVE  :samurai:
:wink:

HOT Seven Below. Now i need to download the rest of the show :D

,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

sunrisevt

Weird night. The first day with good weather, but the band went on really early--like 7:40! Some good stuff--Piper, -7, Twist w/ Santana jam, but the slow & new tunes ... ? Ah, well. Great weekend overall.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Buffalo Budd

Looks decent to me, can't wait for the SBDs to give it a listen.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

nab

mattstick

Any comment on the funk breakdown in Contact?

I'm certain the first set is as meh as it looks.

Nobes

The set is a little quirky. Putting "Nothing" in the second slot was a buzzkill. Back on the train was sweet and Golgi got the crowd frothing. I haven't been to too many shows but I've listened to far too many and Trey's sound now is as good as it was in '95. He looks happy as shit to be up there too. THe crowd fed off that big time last night. I had a fucking amazing time. But I'm getting too old for this shit. Phish shows are exhausting. Hilights for me were: Jibboo, Prince Caspian, Seven Below, the last 3 minutes of Fluffhead were INSANE, and Harry Hood. Though I would've like a Reba in there, I left very content. The band was playing beautifully.

sls.stormyrider

once again, morning post show trying to stay awake at work

pre-show: met up with Birdman, Aug, and GF. good times. bumped into RR and MB walking in. The crowd was pumped and ready for a high energy show. The sound where we were was perfect. DFC, 1st section reserved outside the pav. The auds should be nice.

Set 1- overall, well played, I liked the tunes, but too mellow. Highlights were clearly Jibboo, Taste, and Prince Caspian
MP key words - woke up this morning, smokin that herb
                     woke up this afternoon (laughter, silence)

Set 2- ahh, yes. this was what we came for. It flowed like a  :phish: show. No "real" segues, but most of the time went directly to the next song w/o stopping (I think you know what I mean).
7 below had a great jam. then - FLUFFHEAD. My wife about peed in her pants. If you saw / heard some asshole jumping up and down screaming Fluffhead during the intro, well, that was me. Aug, L, and I all called it in the lot - see my post from 6/05. Dead on. Great. The rest of the set was strong.
Hood rivalled the JB version, I'll let you decide which was better. I thought he got Mr Minor but I will defer to Aug's superior knowledge of Phishdom. Possum rocked.
Dug the phunk break in Contact. Julius rocked as usual.
once again, CK5 ruled.

Overall, well played; clearly not as much energy as Fenway. 2nd set was very strong and I'll take it any time. sound was great.

It's all good. I wasn't planning on this so I view it essentially as a gift.
Thanks again to Birdman for hooking me up.

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Undermind

I'm sorry I didn't make the meet up again.  I was in a caravan from Maine that include some slow drivers.  I didn't get parked until 5 or so.  I had a great time with some really cool people though!  Had some tasty homebrews that my friend made, some makers mark and some gagnja rice crispy treats.

I liked this show a lot.  Highlights from the 1st set were Golgi, Taste, and Caspian.  Trey was on fire for Caspian.  I went to get a couple of beers during Jiboo and when I went to back to section 12 the guy that looked at my ticket was singing gotta a jiboo, gotta jibbo, etc.  That cracked me up!

The 2nd set was sick imo.  Seven below was fun! Fluffhead sounded flawless to me.  Possum and Hood were sweet and Julius was a rocker and a half.  To quote my friend from last night, " I love sober Trey!".  He is so fuckin' on right now, as is Mike, Page, and Fish.  I wish I was seeing more shows this summer, but I do have Hartford and the stream!!!  How was the stream last night?  My cellphone had all kinds of issues connectiong.  Anyway what a blast.  I got hame (to Maine) at about 4:30 and I'm still feeling quite tosty from those post show rice crispy treats.  Hopefully I'll be ablt to meet up woith some of you in Hartford!
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

birdman

Personally I liked this show better than Fenway.
Had an absolute blast dancing in the trench for the whole show.
Set I doesn't look like much on paper but the crowd was rocking out to every song.
Golgi was great to hear and Jibboo just plain rocked.
Obviously Set II is where the magic happened. 7 below was a treat and Fluffhead brought the house down.

Man, I love Great Woods shows!
Paug FTMFW!

jasonsobel

Quote from: slslbs on June 07, 2009, 10:23:03 AM
Overall, well played; clearly not as much energy as Fenway. 2nd set was very strong and I'll take it any time. sound was great.

interesting.  I thought there was a lot more energy at Great Woods last night compared to Fenway.  Fenway had the tour opener excitement, but I felt the crowd wasn't as into the show.  Or perhaps that's just the sense of large stadiums being a less "intimate" place to a see a show.
sing me back home before I die

PIE-GUY

Quote from: nab on June 07, 2009, 09:21:04 AM
I'm personally excited that they debuted Let Me Lie.

Not my favorite TAB tune - would rather hear Dark and Down!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: jasonsobel on June 07, 2009, 12:00:44 PM
Quote from: slslbs on June 07, 2009, 10:23:03 AM

interesting.  I thought there was a lot more energy at Great Woods last night compared to Fenway.  Fenway had the tour opener excitement, but I felt the crowd wasn't as into the show.  Or perhaps that's just the sense of large stadiums being a less "intimate" place to a see a show.

ok
agree - the crowd definitely had more energy last night.
also agree that the 1st set was better than it looked.
I thought the band had more energy at Fenway (or maybe it was just the setlist - Stash, DWD, Tweezer, Gin, Bowie, and YEM)
they definitely picked it up in the second set, though. the flow was also better last night in set 2.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

whatapiper

this is all great to hear, my promise this time around was to not be a setlist monster and let the music be the judge.   i cant wait to DL this one...

how may folks here went for the entire tour on livephish in one purchase?   
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

susep

made it down w/ mehead.  The lot scene was preety good, good in the sense of there wasn't a lot of douchery and peeps were extremely friendly and willing to puff.  Met up w/ a good friend from school.  mehead and I strolled the lots looking for paug members but didn't see anyone.  I was looking for Aug. and slslbs and messengerbird but no luck.  
The energy throughout the day and into the first set was outstanding, again great weather and great vibes all around.
First set was ok, no real jams but the songs were tight.  My first set highlight was Golgi.  Great version, crowd really responding well.  Sparkle was another highlight but instead of taking that energy into an Antelope or other big gun they went into Jibboo.  Ok version but nothing w/ the "x" factor.  Taste was a good performance but mehead and I were wondering what would they play next w/ Taste usually in a set ending slot?  After a quick walk through the concession areas we settled back in for set 2.  W/ no real exploratory jamming, the Seven Below opener was a nice beginning but after midway through I realized the song wasn't going into anything other then Trey's straight linear lead style.  Fluffhead next was executed well but was a tad boring for me.  I was really hoping for some serious improvisation and risk-taking but did not receive.  Scent came and for me the show had already ended.  They played Hood but the jam seemed a bit contrived and Mike was noticeably too loud.  As a result they just kind of slammed through the jam w/ out any real development.  From there after a big ending vamp they went right into Possum.  At this point I was hoping to hear the Pavlonian tick of Fish's ride ala Bowie but to no avail.  
The encore of Contact, Julius was mediocre as well.  Contact had a few brief moments of funk where mehead and I asked, why didn't they do this earlier but ultimately it was a very brief foray.  
All in all I thought the show was very weak overall.  Granted on an execution level they did not mess up and Trey breezed through Fluff and other "changes" but overall their jamming was very conservative w/ Trey leading the way in his standard lead playing.
Phish did not take any risks last night but rather played, imm, a nostalgic show.  
The main reason I love Phish is because of their improvisational prowess however they are not yet that band.  The question is, will they ever be?  Even w/ Trey leading the way w/ his lead playing, Trey himself is playing very conservatively.  Unlike his previous years where his hallmark trademark was playing w/ wild abandon now, he shows non of that.  
Bottomline, Phish has a long way to go.  Overall I thought last night was weak.  Sure the energy was good and there were big smiles around both on the stage and in the crowd but, Phish is not jamming.  I'm not sure if we could call them a jam band at this point because they've fallen in line w/ moe. and other mediocre bands that lack the "x" factor.  I'm not saying this is how it will be moving foward but that's what I saw last night.