News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 03, 2018, 07:37:16 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 03, 2018, 12:17:09 AM
This winter has been especially rough for me because last year I got this weird affliction (syndrome lol) called Renaud's Syndrome and basically if I am outside for any length of tiem when it is under 50 degrees, I lose all the circulation in my toes and fingers (mostly my fingers) and all the blood leaves them and they turn bright white and look dead and it freaking hurts.  Don't google it unless you want to ralph. 

This really sucks,so no trips to the mountains either?

Really limited.  I had to buy these giant down Burton AK mitts that are rated for like 0-10F and I have to wear them when it's like 30F out.  If it is 25 or below I can't really go.  Luckily with the mountain I can always head into the lodge every hour.  When I get stuck out on the bike and I am still an hour plus away from home is when it super sucks.

August

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 03, 2018, 12:06:12 PM
I've haven't been getting many miles in this winter, but my daughter joined a running club through her elementary school and I join her on her after school workouts when I see her Tuesdays (today, eg.).

My heart rate doesn't get up where I like, jogging at a 4-foot, 10 year-old's pace, but goddamn is it satisfying to be out in the early spring air with her.

Now I'm smiling just anticipating this afternoon.

Also, I'm hoping for a renewal of the Runaway Jim 5k at Curveball. That was some fun shit.

Most excellent! That's a great common ground and motivator for both of you!

Glad you're back, Caravan.
Hopefully you'll get a ton of time in now and you'll have no choice but to hit the trainer when next Winter rolls around. I start each week with a weekly mileage goal. If I know my long run is 20 and I need 50 for the week, I gotta get those 30 in somehow during the week. It blows some mornings (most), but it's very motivating to hit your weekly goals. Sign up for a race. So easy that way.

Caravan2001

Quote from: August on April 04, 2018, 06:31:52 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 03, 2018, 12:06:12 PM
I've haven't been getting many miles in this winter, but my daughter joined a running club through her elementary school and I join her on her after school workouts when I see her Tuesdays (today, eg.).

My heart rate doesn't get up where I like, jogging at a 4-foot, 10 year-old's pace, but goddamn is it satisfying to be out in the early spring air with her.

Now I'm smiling just anticipating this afternoon.

Also, I'm hoping for a renewal of the Runaway Jim 5k at Curveball. That was some fun shit.

Most excellent! That's a great common ground and motivator for both of you!

Glad you're back, Caravan.
Hopefully you'll get a ton of time in now and you'll have no choice but to hit the trainer when next Winter rolls around. I start each week with a weekly mileage goal. If I know my long run is 20 and I need 50 for the week, I gotta get those 30 in somehow during the week. It blows some mornings (most), but it's very motivating to hit your weekly goals. Sign up for a race. So easy that way.

Yeah agreed.  I do have a 100 mile/week goal, but have not been keeping up (which is why I am 950 miles behind on it.) But it's great to have that looming over your head.  I also had signed up for 3 races in April and May that I had to bowl out of due to family commitment so that derailed my training too as I knew I would have to miss them.  All that said, I renewed my racing license last week and have my eye on a local Monday night series that just started, but I will probably join in May as I need to quickly get some fitness back.  Racing is a great way to train though!

August

Nice! You'll get it back super fast.
One mile at a time!

gah

Sunrise, very cool to just be getting out there and enjoying the spring air. Dig it. that kind of running is the best.

C2K1, sorry to hear about the Raynauds. My college gf had that, and she'd bring gloves with her when we went to the grocery store, even in the summer, just for when we walked through the frozen section, or with her to the movies even, cause theaters are always cold, anyhow...that sucks though that it's effecting your ability to ride in certain weather. Also my sister bf is a cyclist and dropped some of the Nuun tablets on me a few weekends ago, I haven't had a chance to try them out yet though, but good to know they come highly rec'd. I've seen the honey stinger waffles, they had them at the marathon a few weeks ago, but I didn't wanna try anything new...I might grab some at REI next time I'm in there though.

Aug, when's this 70K you're doing? Is it a trail run? Is it your first Ultra?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

August

70K is this Sunday!
All trail and they're calling for more snow Saturday night on top of an already sloppy trail 😬😬

I've ran a few Ultras before, but this will be my first time racing one since '15.
Just looking to go Top 10 is all ;)

sunrisevt

Quote from: August on April 05, 2018, 02:39:24 PM
70K is this Sunday!
All trail and they're calling for more snow Saturday night on top of an already sloppy trail 😬😬

I've ran a few Ultras before, but this will be my first time racing one since '15.

Damn, son!

:crazy:
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

August

Well, the one plus is that it's only 4,000ft or so of climbing ;)

Caravan2001

Quote from: August on April 05, 2018, 02:39:24 PM
70K is this Sunday!

Good luck homie- you got this!  Hope the weather isn't too much of a factor.  Do you wear goretex sneakers or socks for something like that?  I swear by my Brooks GTX when its raining around here...I mean, just for walking around that is lol.

August

I never found a trail shoe that I loved.
I'll just be going with some sturdy racing shoes with wool socks.
Ill have a drop bag at the 3rd aid station (29M) with fresh socks and shoes.
My feet will be hamburger meat either way, but I use Aquaphor and baby powder beforehand, which has helped in soggy marathons before.
It's all good. Ready to do this!

gah

Dude, I just checked the race out. So it's a solo or relay race...you're obviously doing it solo, but you can break the top 10 for sure! No doubt. Stoked for you! I've seen you taper here this week, so you've got to be itching to just get out there and do this!

Speaking of socks, ever use Injinji's? They're the toe socks, I use them as sock liners for hiking, but then saw they make them as running socks too, and picked up a pair, and have been digging them for long runs. Probably gonna pick up a few more sets.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Caravan2001

Quote from: August on April 05, 2018, 04:53:57 PM
My feet will be hamburger meat either way, but I use Aquaphor and baby powder beforehand, which has helped in soggy marathons before.

Word. Get some!   Link to the course/race site?

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: August on April 05, 2018, 04:53:57 PM

That is insane, good on ya and good luck.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

August

Weather is actually looking good!
Since it's point 2 point, some areas still have snow/slush and some are clear.

http://jayasports.com/pp70k-2/
The RD has been posting some pix on their FB page as he marks the course.

As for Injinji socks, I have a few pair.
They're great for long distance, especially if your feet sweat a lot.
Basically elimates any friction btwn toes do you'll really cut down on blisters.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."