News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2010/11 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Started by Undermind, December 04, 2010, 10:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undermind

Red Sox are improving their line up that's for sure!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5882356

QuoteSources: Adrian Gonzalez to Red Sox

ESPN.com news services

The Boston Red Sox have agreed to a deal in principle to acquire slugging first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Saturday morning.

The Red Sox have received permission from Major League Baseball to negotiate with Gonzalez on a new contract, the sources said, and Gonzalez's physical examination, one of the last hurdles to the deal, could happen Saturday, as Gonzalez was in Boston after being flown in by the team.

The Padres would not receive any established major league players in the trade, but it's likely the Red Sox would include their top pitching prospect, Casey Kelly, sources have said. Red Sox prospects Anthony Rizzo and Ryan Kalish also have been brought up as possible pieces, sources said.

Sources told Olney it's very possible the Gonzalez deal would mean the end of Adrian Beltre's time with the Red Sox, because although Kevin Youkilis could move to left field, Boston's preference probably would be to shift Youkilis to third base.

Gonzalez is the Padres' most popular player with great crossover appeal to the team's Mexican-American market, a native son who carried San Diego to within a game of a playoff spot in 2010.

He is signed through 2011 at $6.3 million. The Padres exercised his 2011 option Nov. 1. His contract called for a $5.5 million salary, but performance bonuses pushed the figure above $6 million.

Acquiring Gonzalez, while signing one of two free-agent outfielders, Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth, would give the Red Sox their most potent offensive lineup since the Manny Ramirez trade to the Dodgers in 2008 and make clear why they were willing to lose free agents Victor Martinez and potentially Beltre.

The Red Sox have long coveted the 28-year-old Gonzalez. As far back as the 2009 trading deadline, the Red Sox made a pitch for Gonzalez, a three-time All-Star who last season finished fourth in balloting for the National League's Most Valuable Player.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pound left-handed hitter batted .298 with 31 home runs and 101 RBIs for the Padres last season. He finished fifth in the National League in on-base percentage (.393), ninth in slugging (.511) and led the league in hitting with runners in scoring position (.407).

Opposing pitchers issued 35 intentional walks to Gonzalez last season, a number exceeded only by Albert Pujols.

In addition to his offensive prowess, Gonzalez is a gifted defender, having won two Gold Gloves in five full seasons.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

mattstick

Decline of Ortiz with loss of Beltre and V-Mart, adding A-Gonz doesn't do much.

Also, this should be in the Hot Stove thread not a 2011 MLB thread.

DoW

I think it's a big trade for the sox.  I'd say crawford is off limits now but I wouldn't assume that werth or beltre is off limits.  they can still move youk to left and sign beltre at a discounted rate since he wants to stay in boston.
with lackey, beckett and lester in the rotation.

my view on it is that with TB losing crawford, sox overtake TB and should make the playoffs.  then you face that rotation in the playoffs with a very good offense.

I don't like the sox but this is a very good move for them.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mattstick

lol @ Lackey & Beckett.

G. Augusto

I just hope the Mets can keep my interest longer than my fantasy team can...

DoW

Quote from: G. Augusto on December 05, 2010, 08:27:56 AM
I just hope the Mets can keep my interest longer than my fantasy team can...
I hope MLB.TV has a NY Mets package this year.  Only show games in June.

Undermind

uhoh. :shakehead:

http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/report-adrian-gonzalez-deal-falls-through-over-extension-issues.html

QuoteReport: Adrian Gonzalez Deal Falls Through Over Extension Issues
by Nick Coman on Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 3:06PM   Comments 21

The 2 p.m. ET deadline for the Red Sox and Adrian Gonzalez to come to terms on an extension has come and gone with out an agreement.

Accordingly, the deal has fallen through -- says Jon Heyman.

The 2 p.m. deadline was considered "soft" -- meaning a deal could come after that time -- but according to Heyman, the parties just couldn't reach a deal. Gonzalez apparently wanted an eight-year extension while the Sox only wanted to go six years.

The Padres previously said that they wouldn't be willing to field other offers for Gonzalez if the trade with Boston did not work out.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the trade could still be possible even without an extension in place.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

DoW

Quote from: Undermind on December 05, 2010, 03:19:09 PM
uhoh. :shakehead:

http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/report-adrian-gonzalez-deal-falls-through-over-extension-issues.html

QuoteReport: Adrian Gonzalez Deal Falls Through Over Extension Issues
by Nick Coman on Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 3:06PM   Comments 21

The 2 p.m. ET deadline for the Red Sox and Adrian Gonzalez to come to terms on an extension has come and gone with out an agreement.

Accordingly, the deal has fallen through -- says Jon Heyman.

The 2 p.m. deadline was considered "soft" -- meaning a deal could come after that time -- but according to Heyman, the parties just couldn't reach a deal. Gonzalez apparently wanted an eight-year extension while the Sox only wanted to go six years.

The Padres previously said that they wouldn't be willing to field other offers for Gonzalez if the trade with Boston did not work out.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the trade could still be possible even without an extension in place.
interesting.  good luck getting 8 years on the open market in the offseason.

antelope19

O's just traded for Mark Reynolds. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

Questionable move by the O's....

A-Gonz deal is done, but unless the Red Sox give AGonz Ryan Howard or Tex-type money, they're giving up 3 prospects for 1 year.

Meanwhile the Jays continue to trade for high-ceiling talent dealing Marcum for Lawrie.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on December 06, 2010, 12:27:00 PM

Questionable move by the O's....

A-Gonz deal is done, but unless the Red Sox give AGonz Ryan Howard or Tex-type money, they're giving up 3 prospects for 1 year.

Meanwhile the Jays continue to trade for high-ceiling talent dealing Marcum for Lawrie.

LOL. 

When you stop fluffing the Jays and get back to reality, let me know.   :wink:

I'm OK with the Reynolds deal.  He strikes out alot, but we needed some power in the line up in the worst way.  The O's had given up on Mikolio and Hernandez was kind of the step child of the talented young pitching group we have.  With Matusz, Arieta, Bergesen and Tillman, he wasn't fitting into the plans for the future. 

Potentially, our line up could look like this:

1) Roberts
2) Adam Jones
3) Markakis
4) Reynolds
5) Weiters
6) Scott
7) Pie
8) Josh Bell
9) Iszturis

Not bad if you ask me. 

mattstick

Not good either.

Doesn't Josh Bell also play 3rd?

That's why I thought it was questionable.

Sorry, but Pie isn't a major leaguer.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on December 06, 2010, 12:39:53 PM

Not good either.

Doesn't Josh Bell also play 3rd?

That's why I thought it was questionable.

Sorry, but Pie isn't a major leaguer.

Yes, Josh Bell plays 3rd.  But he sucks in the field, so you could potentially DH either one of them, or put one of them at first base. 

As for Pie, I would've agreed with you prior to last season, but after watching him last year, he made major strides as a hitter.  He's fast and decent in the field and can spell Jones in Center when needed.  Not to mention he's only 25 years old.  Plus we have Reimold coming back.  Hopefully he'll come around from his surgery after a year in minors.   

Honestly, I am less worried/more optimistic about the O's this year than I have been in a VERY long time.  It's going to take a little time, but Showalter is rapidly changing the culture around here.  He's getting his staff in place and, IMO, you're going to see a different brand of baseball coming out of Baltimore in the not so distant future. 

mattstick

Seeing is believing.

fwiw, I think the Jays young pitching is a few years ahead of Baltimore's.  It will be interesting to see what happens as the Yankees get super old and Boston struggles with Lackey & Beckett sucking.  The Rays are due for a step back.

But back to the O's... Roberts seems old now, Markakis has really plateaued, Reynolds will (re)set the MLB record for K's in a season now that he's in the AL East, Pie and Izturis are barely major leaguers - there is still a lot of work to be done to even get back to .500.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on December 06, 2010, 12:54:05 PM

Seeing is believing.

fwiw, I think the Jays young pitching is a few years ahead of Baltimore's.  It will be interesting to see what happens as the Yankees get super old and Boston struggles with Lackey & Beckett sucking.  The Rays are due for a step back.

But back to the O's... Roberts seems old now, Markakis has really plateaued, Reynolds will (re)set the MLB record for K's in a season now that he's in the AL East, Pie and Izturis are barely major leaguers - there is still a lot of work to be done to even get back to .500.

Roberts was hurt alot of last year which would be why you feel like he's getting old.  He's still one of the best lead off hitters in the game, and, when healthy, is good for 25-30 stolen bases/season.  If Markakis has "plateued", I'm ok with batting .300, being top 5 in the majors in doubles with 45 and being one of the most feared arms in the outfiled.   :-D  If he had any sort of supporting cast last year, all of his numbers would've been higher.  Especially his RBI's.  Obviously, Reynolds struck out alot in Arizona, and we can speculate about how he's going to do in the AL East, but that's all it is, speculation.  Personally, I can't wait to see what he can do in the "hitters parks" of the AL East.

I think it's obvious that Izturis is solid in the field.  He was a major upgrade for us at the time as the year before we tried 7-9  different guys at short stop.  No, he doesn't have the best bat, but the guy plays really well in the field.  I think the O's would agree with you though.  We drafted a SS at the number 3 overall selection in the draft this past year. 

I'm not saying we're gonna be world beaters next year, but we're making steps in the right direction. 

EDIT: I just read that Reynolds can play both first and third.  I like the trade a little more now as we are in need of a first basemen.