News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New turntable/speakers

Started by aphineday, January 01, 2011, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatapiper

Quote from: twatts on May 17, 2014, 09:38:05 PM
Quote from: whatapiper on May 17, 2014, 09:02:11 PM
About to jump on some sweet looking ADS L780 II speakers which look in near perfect condition.  Everything I've read on these is A+ just curious if any paugers out there have used or been exposed to these before.  They retailed in the late 80's for around $800 and the local shop I've been browsing is doing 30% off used speakers.  They have them listed pre sale for $475 so I'd be looking at dropping around $330 on these.  They sounded absolutely amazing to my ears, any comments/advice?

ADS speakers are great vintage German speakers...  Built to last a lifetime...  $330 might be a bit high, but if they come with the stands, I'd say they are worth it...

Terry

Stands included, and I did give hicks a text yesterday but the man is MIA.  :|
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

twatts

Quote from: whatapiper on May 18, 2014, 01:17:12 AM
Quote from: twatts on May 17, 2014, 09:38:05 PM
Quote from: whatapiper on May 17, 2014, 09:02:11 PM
About to jump on some sweet looking ADS L780 II speakers which look in near perfect condition.  Everything I've read on these is A+ just curious if any paugers out there have used or been exposed to these before.  They retailed in the late 80's for around $800 and the local shop I've been browsing is doing 30% off used speakers.  They have them listed pre sale for $475 so I'd be looking at dropping around $330 on these.  They sounded absolutely amazing to my ears, any comments/advice?

ADS speakers are great vintage German speakers...  Built to last a lifetime...  $330 might be a bit high, but if they come with the stands, I'd say they are worth it...

Terry

Stands included, and I did give hicks a text yesterday but the man is MIA.  :|

Low ball him at 300 and then see if he'll take 320...  I think you will be very happy...

I love vintage speakers...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

whatapiper

Thanks, going to run over there today after work and see what I can do, pretty stoked! My wireless Zona's have been having channel issues for some time and I just stopped spinning vinyl in frustration about a week ago. My pretty records are collecting dust!
beginning to end
we belong

whatapiper

Beyond stoked, they accepted my $320 cash offer and with the stands. Turns out they wanted $40 for the stands but had the speakers displayed with them so I raised a little hell when the dude tried to dime me on them. False advertising! I'm feeling like I made out with a solid score. Happy Father's/early birthday for me!
beginning to end
we belong

Augustus

Buffalo Budd

Anyone have any experience/knowledge about these turntables

American Audio TTD-2400

Will it make much of a difference from an old Technics and is it worth $100?
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mattstick

Looks like they sell for ~ €100 new so $100CAD seems like a good price.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mattstick on October 02, 2014, 08:04:48 AM

Looks like they sell for ~ €100 new so $100CAD seems like a good price.

Ok, but will it make much difference in the quality of my sound or am I just splitting hairs here.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

I would bet your vintage Technics is better built than that Technics 1200 knock off.

Spend the money on a new cart if you really have the upgrade itch. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on October 02, 2014, 09:16:38 AM
I would bet your vintage Technics is better built than that Technics 1200 knock off.

This.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 02, 2014, 09:29:08 AM
Quote from: Hicks on October 02, 2014, 09:16:38 AM

This.

That's kind of what I was wondering about.  I am currently using the Ortofon red, which I am pretty happy with.  Thanks for the input folks.  :beers:

jam>

This is not the exactly proper spot to post this but do any of you have an opinion on this vacuum tube preamp? It seems to be quite a value. http://www.haglabs.com/collections/phono-preamps/products/cornet3

Buffalo Budd

So since I've saved about $500 up for the upcoming Dead shows but will not be making it, I've decided to splurge on a decent turntable. I have my eye set on a Pro-ject Carbon entry level but I was wondering if this is the best bang for my buck. I've been researching a bunch and all reviews point me to the Audio Technica AT-LP120 but I find it an ugly table. I want something that will sound as great as possible but also look classy as this is going in our living room and I don't plan on buying another one for many years.
A - Any suggestions on what my best option would be for $500 or less?
B - Would I be better off saving till I can drop $1,000 on one or is that money better off spent on my amp/speaker set up?

mbw

The new Teac table looks incredible, looks wise.  All of the sound reviews i have come across are positive as well.

http://www.teac.com/product/tn-300/

antelope19

That's a nice looking table!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment