News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Quote from: Mr Minor on July 07, 2011, 09:12:46 PM
Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on July 07, 2011, 06:01:31 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on July 07, 2011, 01:13:21 PM
On my xbox360 there is a 'Party' option. You can watch a movie with other people and talk to each other using the xbox headset. I think this would be cool, kinda like those LSTs where we watched old movies on AMC together.

this almost sounds creepy to me... slightly.

But also a little like Mystery Science Theater-ish, too.
That's what it made me think of.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

McGrupp

Quote from: postjack on July 07, 2011, 07:36:20 PM
The Parking Lot Movie.

The story of a parking lot near the university of virginia, and the overeducated hipsters who work there. A fucking beautiful movie, especially if you have ever worked in customer service.

You liked it? I wasn't sure how I felt about it.

I grew up in charlottesville, going in and out of that parking lot my entire life, always had a good relationship with those guys...recognized almost all of them and know one of them personally...

Seemed like the movie was trying too hard to prove a point... something about it just bugged me. A little too hipster-snoody. Trying too hard to make some big existential statement out of nothing. Maybe that's the whole point... dunno...

Worth a watch though. Phil, have you seen this yet?
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

barnesy305

Quote from: McGrupp on July 11, 2011, 10:14:49 PM
The Parking Lot Movie.

The story of a parking lot near the university of virginia, and the overeducated hipsters who work there. A fucking beautiful movie, especially if you have ever worked in customer service.

I grew up in charlottesville, going in and out of that parking lot my entire life, always had a good relationship with those guys...recognized almost all of them and know one of them personally...

Seemed like the movie was trying too hard to prove a point... something about it just bugged me. A little too hipster-snoody. Trying too hard to make some big existential statement out of nothing. Maybe that's the whole point... dunno...

Agreed George, I've parked there many a time myself, it was behind the Satellite Ballroom. Kinda cool that one of them went on to be in Yo La Tengo though.

Multibeast12

Quote from: barnesy305 on July 11, 2011, 10:20:19 PM
The Parking Lot Movie.

Agreed George, I've parked there many a time myself, it was behind the Satellite Ballroom. Kinda cool that one of them went on to be in Yo La Tengo though.
I loved it, but i also have never been to that parking lot so i don't know what it is actually like.

McGrupp

Quote from: Multibeast12 on July 11, 2011, 10:47:48 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on July 11, 2011, 10:20:19 PM
The Parking Lot Movie.

I loved it, but i also have never been to that parking lot so i don't know what it is actually like.

They definitely overplayed the "UVA kids are douche bags" thing. I mean, there are a lot of douche bags at UVA, but they totally played it up for the sake of the film. I'm also convinced that a lot of the footage they used of the kids partying was not from UVA... you don't see kids with gelled up hair and pink polos with popped collars in cville. It's a "fratty" school, but not like that...

eta: I don't/didn't go to uva, just grew up in cville and know a lot of uva kids. they make them all seem very over-privileged in the movie, so maybe that's my problem with it.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

runawayjimbo

Netflix is changing their pricing plans again, pretty much forcing you to choose streaming or DVD-by-mail.

Netflix Increases Prices for DVD-Streaming Plans by 60%

Netflix Inc. (NFLX), the online and mail- order movie rental company, raised prices by 60 percent for U.S. subscribers who want both services, citing the costs to acquire and deliver films and TV shows.

Netflix will no longer offer a $9.99 package of DVD-by-mail and unlimited streaming, the company said in a statement today. Instead, more than 23 million subscribers will pay $15.98 monthly beginning Sept. 1 if they choose both options, or $7.99 for just one.

The company introduced a DVD-only plan for $7.99 on July 8 for new subscribers and extended that to current customers to reflect the costs of acquiring and delivering content digitally and by mail, Steve Swasey, a Netflix spokesman, said in an interview. Many customers want the option of streaming-only or DVD-only packages, he said.

"We wouldn't have charged this when the streaming catalog was still lean," Swasey said. "The streaming catalog is robust to the point where a lot of people won't want DVDs anymore."

Netflix, based in Los Gatos, California, needs to boost revenue to raise funds for expansion and the acquisition of new content, Tony Wible, an analyst with Janney Montgomery Scott LLC, said recently in an interview. He has a "sell" rating on the shares.

Since 2007, Chief Executive Officer Reed Hastings has increasingly focused on delivering movies and television shows via the Web to televisions, set-top boxes and mobile devices.

The company, after instituting a November price hike, discovered subscribers still want DVDs by mail, according to a blog posting. It is creating a separate unit, run by Andy Rendich, chief service and operating officer, to handle the mail-order side of the business.

DVD Customers

"Given the long life we think DVDs by mail will have, treating DVDs as a $2 add-on to our unlimited streaming plan neither makes great financial sense nor satisfies people who just want DVDs," Netflix said in the posting.

The company plans to expand its streaming-only service to all 43 countries and territories in Latin America and the Caribbean later this year. As of March 31, 97 percent of its customers were located in the U.S., according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Netflix rose $3.91 to $294.66 at 1:52 p.m. New York time in Nasdaq Stock Market trading. The shares were up 65 percent this year before today.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

McGrupp

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Just changed my subscription to streaming only. $7.99/month ftw. I never used the hard DVD option anyway...

qop24

I was talkin to Alley about this last night actually after a few movie studios announced yesterday that they are going to significantly increase fees for license contracts now that netflix has some competition. It sucks but it makes complete sense if they want to continue streaming content. The instant catalogue is still kinda crappy imo (tons of movies but only a handful worth watching, again imo) but more revenue + more competition will hopefully mean a more full catalogue of instant content
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

gah

I hate when I'm forced to upgrade my technology to keep up with everyone else. Nothing should change. Ever.

jstepan

I just streamed this movie and really enjoyed it.. people bet on the amount of luck of others have using deadly games like Russian roulette.
Intacto
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220580/
Λ Σ Δ
to Use your head... you have to go out of your mind... Dr Tim Leary

one day we'll figure out the mathematical formula that describes the universe, then, our whole reality will dissolve and a sign will pop up that says 'level two'.

mistercharlie

Just noticed an old movie in the 'new movies' section called True Stories. It was written and directed by David Byrne, who also acts in the movie, and also stars Jon Goodman. Gonna watch it the next time I get the tv to myself (the wife seemed less than interested to watch it).
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

khalpin

Quote from: mistercharlie on August 04, 2011, 04:49:11 AM
Just noticed an old movie in the 'new movies' section called True Stories. It was written and directed by David Byrne, who also acts in the movie, and also stars Jon Goodman. Gonna watch it the next time I get the tv to myself (the wife seemed less than interested to watch it).
It's like Byrne's lyrics in movie form.  Dude's off his rocker.  Haven't seen that movie in a long ass time, but it's definitely enjoyable.

gah

Quote from: khalpin on August 04, 2011, 07:54:40 AM
It's like Byrne's lyrics in movie form.  Dude's off his rocker.  Haven't seen that movie in a long ass time, but it's definitely enjoyable.

added to my list.

Check this, watched this movie eysterday by Werner Herzog called Encounters at the End of the World. Do yourself a favor,  :smoke: sit back and relax, and you'll meet people like this:

And watch scenes like this:

natronzero

That movie's great! Although, I don't know if someone who wasn't a David Byrne/Talking Heads fan already would be that into it.
The True Stories album is great too. It's actually Talking Heads performing the songs, not the movie versions.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.