News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 8

Started by UncleEbinezer, July 12, 2011, 08:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

"now get the fuck outta my driveway you bald prick"

"yeah, i'm an occupier...."

mbw

"My God, Mrs. Johnson, you've got a big vagina."

ytowndan

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2011/07/critics-laud-larry-david-international-relations-genius/40357/

QuoteCritics Laud Larry David, International Relations Genius

Weeks before the eighth season of Curb Your Enthusiasm premiered on HBO, we were hearing that the season's third episode, "The Palestinian Chicken," where a Palestinian chicken restaurant moves in next door to a much-beloved Jewish deli in Westwood, was one of the show's best ever--"an instant classic," in the estimation of Variety's Brian Lowery.

If anything, that undersells the daring of the episode, which aired last night. As Hit Fix's Alan Sepinwall notes, the entire episode was "layed out as a parody of both Israeli/Palestinian tensions and the Ground Zero mosque kerfuffle." The episode's basic conceit, explains The AV Club's Meredith Blake, is that the Palestinian chicken restaurant turned "Larry's ostensibly liberal friends...into conservative, pro-Israel reactionaries" whose arguments against the restaurant's location "sound a whole lot like those made by opponents of the 'Ground Zero Mosque' last year ('It's insensitive. Can't they open a few blocks uptown?')." Those aren't topics many television comedies strive to cover, and certainly not with the "'Did they really just go there?' element that Larry David's HBO sitcom thrives on," writes The Wrap's John Sellers. Sellers explains:

"Take, for instance, the following exchange, and imagine it being said by, say, two guests on "Nightline," or by co-workers at your office:

"'I like you,' says an Arab woman, flirting with a balding older man with a New York accent.

"'What's not to like?' he replies.

"Eh, you're a Jew.'

"Now put that in the context of an exchange between Larry David and a scorchingly hot, though extremely anti-Semitic, purveyor of addictive rotisserie chicken, and you have a stellar comedic moment."

Along with being breathtakingly funny, Blake argues, the episode made a persuasive argument for the David Doctrine in international relations. "There's something kind of brilliant about Larry's hedonistic approach to diplomacy," observes Blake. "[N]egotiations, sanctions and suicide bombs won't get Palestine anywhere; great sex and delicious chicken will." That David had the confidence to go ahead with the episode, and make a chicken-and-sex-based approach to peace in the Middle East seem almost viable, is a testament to his unique position in American comedy. "Like his collaborator Jerry Seinfeld, David sees the world through a prism of potential-joking," explains Entertainment Weekly's Ken Tucker. "Neither of them is overtly political, nor do they seek to break taboos in a latterday Lenny Bruce sense. On Curb, jokes about religion and ethnicity are cast in terms of specific people in particular situations whose outrage, whether genuine or feigned, can be satirized merrily."
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

gah

i liked the mosque/restaurant proximity comparison discussion at dinner.  L O L
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

JPhishman

"social assassin"

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

ytowndan

I shat where I eat and, now, I shall eat where I shat.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mbw

cant wait to watch last nights.   :lol:

PIE-GUY

It's a smiley face.

I have a Dodgers hat you can where.

I hate the Dodgers!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

I thought this episode was kinda meh.

UncleEbinezer

I shit where I eat and I will eat where I shat.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: goodabouthood on August 02, 2011, 10:01:34 AM

Well, it was a tough act to follow after what might have been the best episode of the series last week.

At least the hostess was pretty smokin' though.

I'm not calling you Dog anymore!!
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

gah

Quote from: runawayjimbo on August 02, 2011, 10:11:15 AM

Well, it was a tough act to follow after what might have been the best episode of the series last week.

Oh yeah, that scene was pretty funny. When he was getting all angry about the cabinet. That was the one scene that had me cracking up.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: goodabouthood on August 02, 2011, 11:23:52 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on August 02, 2011, 10:11:15 AM

Oh yeah, that scene was pretty funny. When he was getting all angry about the cabinet. That was the one scene that had me cracking up.

I said to my wife during that scene, "where the fuck did this guy come from?"  Completely character to insert.  And Dog was pretty funny.  Kind of had this low-key, tolerant thing at first and then BAM!  "Peace."

PIE-GUY

I love how universal the rule is... "you never give away a cabinet."
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul