News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

I think my laptop is done/help booting Vista

Started by mistercharlie, September 11, 2013, 09:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

So I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that is about 7 years old. It is (was) running Vista. When I went to turn it on this morning I quickly see the "Dell" screen and am then prompted to sart windows in Safe Mode or to start it regularly. But no matter which one I choose it goes to a black screen with a mouse pointer on it, and then nothing. I tried starting it in safe mode with command prompt and the same thing happens.

Oddly I can start it up using the media direct option and view the pictures/videos/music that are stored in the public files, but cannot start windows itself.

What can I do? Or is it time to scrap this heap and scrounge up some money to get myself a new laptop?
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Superfreakie

A common problem with those Inspirons is that they eventually succumb to overheating problems which tend to fry the cpu, gpu or other components. When mine went last year, nearly 7 years old, guy at Dell told me forget trying to repair it, it's time to move on.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Hicks

Yeah seven years is pretty good for a laptop, probably time to just pull any data you don't have backed up and get a new one.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

DoW

I'd make sure it is trying to boot from the hard drive and not the CDRom.
Other than that, get all the data off while you still can,
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate