News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

torrent piece size?

Started by jedifunk, December 18, 2004, 07:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

What is the ideal size that torrent pieces should be?  Larger (1-2MB) or smaller (256-512KB)?

How does piece size affect speeds?
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

guyforget

Are you asking in reference to when youre creating a torrent?  

I found this:
Select the piece size, or just accept the default value of (auto). In general, the smaller the piece size, the more efficient the BitTorrent download will be, but will result in a larger .torrent file. 256 kB seems to be the most common piece size in use these days, but you can experiment with other settings if you want. Avoid very large piece sizes for small files; likewise avoid small piece sizes for very large files.

Hope that helps.
-AD_

jedifunk

thanks.

kinda seems like a contradiction of terms, but i'll play around with it.  i have been using 1MB pieces for my seeds.  seems to work ok.  was originally using the auto feature.  i'll try 256KB on my next seed.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio