News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

My views on the community

Started by DoW, May 05, 2006, 07:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

August

very true, jedi.

most people who toured have "grown up" in a sense.
got a job, bought a house/apt, had a kid or two.....

that was really my point with the KIDS taking over, it will be a new breed.
but there will still be riff-raff about causing trouble.....

i dunno......
i know i wont be doing tour anymore.
a handful of shows seems feasible.
a

fauxpaxfauxreal

I actually agree with Jonyem.

But I agree with august too.

I think the scene will be smaller, but worse.

I think people like me that are a little older, wiser and whatever are going to stop going to see shows (It will be nearly impossible to get me to go to a show, unless it's IN TOWN and FREE)...that might cause there to be smaller crowds...

But I DON'T THINK that the creepazoids will stop going.

So you might lose a lot of people...but I think the majority of the people that will drop out will be the good guys, not the bad guys. 

Or something like that.

jedifunk

i would agree with that... although, i'd still drive to see phish... but not as far as i used to... i'd do minni->chitown.  and probably minni->st louis, or kc, or maybe, maybe denver.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jonyem

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 05, 2006, 02:38:48 PM
I actually agree with Jonyem.

Damn dude, why'd go and do a thing like that?  :-P
After thinking about this for a while I've come to think that I'm just gonna wait and see. No sense in worrying about something that  may never happen. I'll stay tuned, for sure.

jedifunk

turn off, tune in, drop out!
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

I'll opine...

I think the scene will be worse than when we left, although I'd really like to believe it'd purify a bit.  The people with lives (like Jedi for instance) may move on, and who takes his place?  There's so much information about Phish and the scene, that more sketchy folks know that shows are good places to go to make a buck, and kids, who are getting into things other than music (and I unfortunately think there are more of them than ones that have found Phish through the music).  But I suppose I'm optomistic, maybe there'll be an influx of happy old farts gettin' jiggy with it.

I also won't be going on tour (extended-wise), but do wish for a return.  I would like them to be on hiatus until about 2010 or so (My kids will be older, I'll have more free time, I may even be able to bring my boy).

I also agree that it's what you make of it.  I had the same amount of fun in 2000 as in 1997.  My circumstances changed as well, but I made it a point to not get caught up in hotel parties etc.  I slept in my car or camped.  I like to rough it.  And my favorite way to travel is with one good friend.  Sure, I'm okay with meeting up with random friends on each night, but being on the road with a good friend and only having to collaborate on decisions with one person is awesome.  I hate being in a large group until I'm in the show.  Then I have my 20,000 or so friends dancing all around me.  I did do summer 97 and 98 in a large group and it was great, but fall 97 and fall 98 were unbelievable.  Part of the reason my circumstances changed in 99 and 00 is that I couldn't go on long tours for whatever reason, and that's really the only downside to those years.  I still got to party with my best friends, and it was just as fun.

Good thread bvaz,

So my view is that although the scene and community became "darker", It didn't affect me.  I felt it affected the band, and hope that they can shut that stuff out if/when they return.  I think the bands resistance to the dark side will cause the community to do the same and resist what iwould hurt them.

JF
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

PhishJY

Hopefully, the people who bring the dark side to the shows will eventually feel "left out" or "ignored" and leave.  Then the whole scene will be back to somewhat normal....
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

VA $l!m

i'm just trying to decide whether or not i'm a "creepazoid"??????
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: VA slim on May 05, 2006, 06:49:07 PM
i'm just trying to decide whether or not i'm a "creepazoid"??????

Dude if you don't know I'm not going to tell you.   :mrgreen:

VA $l!m

seriously, -seriously though, the thing about "the lot got shady" or whatever-- or the "creepazoids" (-wow , where did that word come from?) hanging onto tour...

i just think some of ya'll are acting holier than thou about the whole thing...

i'll leave it at that, but i dunno...

jedifunk

Quote from: VA slim on May 05, 2006, 06:56:01 PM
seriously, -seriously though, the thing about "the lot got shady" or whatever-- or the "creepazoids" (-wow , where did that word come from?) hanging onto tour...

i'll definitely agree with that... its not like i was a saint on tour... i definitely had my period where i was a tour rat, lot trash, KYD... pushin molls, nugs... BUT, and this is where i will always differenciate... I WAS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS THERE FOR THE MUSIC!
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on May 05, 2006, 07:26:29 PM
Quote from: VA slim on May 05, 2006, 06:56:01 PM

i'll definitely agree with that... its not like i was a saint on tour... i definitely had my period where i was a tour rat, lot trash, KYD... pushin molls, nugs... BUT, and this is where i will always differenciate... I WAS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS THERE FOR THE MUSIC!

thank you. this is exactly the only point that is to be made, IMO, on the subject.

August

same goes for me.
i have pushed rolls to do tours.
i have that grimey, street-tough mentality.
but i never got caught up in any mess on the lot.
like i said before, you wouldnt have known that i did alot of shows.
in no way did i try to front like being on tour was this thing that was so cool
and i had to change my language/dress/musical tastes.......

and that last comment in no way is an accusation, but i always find it amusing
to run into people i knew from HS that are now "phish heads"......
come on, now.

bottom line, i keep it real but am as dirty as it comes.
a

birdman

Birdman will be there, watching over everyone like a hawk. Dont get out of line....or else!

Seriously though, I stopped touring after 97. Cleaned up my act, started a family, basically made the lot rat->(semi)productive citizen segue. Sure things have gotten worse with the scene and they sure as hell wont get any better. But I have perservered and still managed to eek out 42 shows since "retiring" from touring and am no worse off because of it. Focus on the music and the good times and let the rest of it roll off your back. Plus, now I get to look forward to the week4paug lot shindigs.
Paug FTMFW!

August

Quote from: birdman on May 05, 2006, 09:04:03 PM
Plus, now I get to look forward to the week4paug lot shindigs.

that is gonna be disgusting!
a