News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Headphones

Started by flow00, June 04, 2006, 10:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

should have specified in-ear.  I have some larger panasonic headophones that are satisfactory (don't know the model, they were lik $30 at Target).  I need something for at the grocery store, mowing the lawn, etc so I don't look like a goofball.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

rowjimmy

these were recommended to me recently by someone i respect...

Not really the answer to the original query but they came highly recommended as reasonable studio monitors:

http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html

PhishJY

After reading all these posts, i'm unsure what to do. 

We're going to Hawaii next May.  I'm going to be spending around 13 hrs. on a plane.  Therefore, the wife's going to by me an 80GB ipod for xmas.  I want some headphones that will produce clear sound, while removing the in-flight noise.  I don't want to turn the music up so loud that it drowns out the noise.  I want headphones that won't let the noise in.  I've noticed that there were some issues with the ipod's output not being strong enough to power big headphones....What's that all about and why is that occurring?

I'm wanting to keep the cost somewhere between $50 and $200.

I hope that I have explained my request in an understandable manner.
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

mattstick

For performance and comfort you can't beat the Sony MDR-7509s.

PhishJY

Quote from: tet on June 04, 2006, 11:05:30 PM
...if u wanna block out outside noise, do NOT get noise-cancelling headphones.  those produce this awful white noise that really kills music...

Don't those create the "white noise" that tet was talking about?

Also, on CNET (http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_MDR_7509_headphones/4014-6468_9-30520451.html?ccmd=add&tag=shzipcode), the Recommended Use says something like "The noise canceling feature blocks the din on buses and airplanes."  What the hell is the "din on buses and airplanes"?
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

mattstick

It's not like you're on the runway with the plane - any "cup" style headphones will easily block out most of the noise on the airplane.

Bring your iPod (or discman) to the store and try a few things out - you'll know which ones to get when you hear them for the first time ;)

Marmar

When I flew to vegas in 04, I brought along a pair of $20 Maxell Digital headphones......I bought em at staples......couldn't hear anything but the music on the plane.......they are HUGE though......big silky soft cups.....OR.....if you just want a nice set of high quality 'phones....

$60

The HD280 Professional is Sennheiser's most significant closed, circumaural headphone to be introduced in years. Designed to exceed the demands of the professional environment, the HD280Pro boasts extremely robust construction combined with extensive features that meet the requirements of today's most demanding applications. The unique collapsible design combined with swiveling ear cups, offers maximum flexibility in any application.

* Closed, dynamic stereo headphones
    * Accurate, linear sound reproduction for critical monitoring applications
    * Optimum impedance ensures universal compatability
    * Space saving design features collapsible, rotating earcups
    * Up to 32 dB of ambient noise attenuation
    * Neodymium magnets for high maximum SPL
    * Single-sided, coiled cable with 3.5 mm mini jack with locking 1/4" adapter
    * Very comfortable, even if used for long periods of time
    * Rugged construction with user-replaceable parts
    * 2-year warranty
    * Click here for complete manufacturer specifications

$100

Those second ones are the shit......for critical listening you can't beat the price......I have a pair of those as my secondary headphones, and I'll tell ya, they sound amazing. Very comfortable too......I can wear em for HOURS. They fit so well you almost forget you have em on. BTW: Both of those pics above can be had at Staples.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

mattstick

Let me guess, your primary cans are a pair of Beatles-style BDs?

Marmar

Those are my primaries...SennheiserHD600 series......$400. I use these when I do the editing on stuff usually......also work well for sound devlopment. Computer balanced magents, motor assemblies, and coils.

Technical Data
Frequency response 12–39,000 Hz
Transducer principle dynamic, open
Frequency characteristic diffuse field equalized
Nominal impedance 300 W
Characteristic SPL at 1 kHz 97 dB
Load rating 200 mW
THD 0.1 %
Ear coupling circumaural
Contact pressure approx. 2.5 N
Weight (without cable) 9.17 oz
Connector 1/8" stereo mini jack plug with adapter
to 1/4" stereo jack plug
Connection cable 3 m, detachable dual-sided OFC copper cable

• Computer-optimized magnet systems minimize harmonic and intermodulation distortion
• Extremely lightweight aluminum voice coils ensure excellent transient response
• Neodymium ferrous magnet systems for optimum sensitivity and a wide dynamic range
• Exceptionally natural, spatial and accurate sound
• Detachable OFC copper cable, Kevlar-reinforced, with very low handling noise

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

mattstick

Yeah, those are nice - I find all the Senni's to be a little fragile - headphones should be able to take a lickin'.

Marmar

amazingly, the HD's are fairly rugged.....

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on October 24, 2006, 01:50:14 PM

Yeah, those are nice - I find all the Senni's to be a little fragile - headphones should be able to take a lickin'.

See my above link.
I'm gonna pick up a couple pair for sessions. they look like they'll be able to handle average wear & tear as well as my less than ideal storage.

mattstick

When I had to buy headphones for musicians to use at the studio I grabbed 5 pairs of Apex HP90 headphones for dirt cheap (~$40) - they're actually very nice for their price.

PhishJY

Well, marmar, I hope you took care of me....  My wife bought me a pair of the HD280Pro's.  Not without asking about how I knew of that particular pair.

While walking around Circuit City yesterday, I was trying to help her find a decent, cheap (oxymoron, I know) set of earbuds.  I found a pair of Sennheiser's that were like $70, I think.  She then asked me how I knew of Sennheiser, and how I knew of their headphones.  I explained to her that there was a guy on this board who does professional studio work, and that he recommended them.  Her reply: "So, let me make sure I understand you.  You made your decision based on what someone else says on a messageboard?  And you haven't even met him?  What are you thinking?  Are you sure?"

My reply: "Well, I DID look elsewhere for specs., reviews, etc.  The headphones were well received from those who reviewed them.  BUT the guy on the messageboard has mastered some uncirculated Phish shows, and they sounded really good, so he must know what he's talking about."

Her reply: "Hmmph." [walks away in amazement, shaking head]

THEREFORE, I hope you're right, so I can rub it in her face later on. :-D

Marmar

Lemme know how that works out for ya.....so I can toss in an "I told ya so!"

hehehehe