News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Another campus shooting

Started by blatboom, February 14, 2008, 06:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blatboom

@ Northern Illinois.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/nui.shooting.campus.2.654370.html

Lots of injuries but it looks like no fatalites which is amazing.

edit: except for the shooter

details are sketchy everywhere...as they are in these situations.  still f'ed up no matter what...

bluecaravan521

That's messed up...hopefully no further fatalities...  :-(
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

rowjimmy

Last report I got was that the shooter was the only fatality... a couple of people wounded, though.

jedifunk

cnn reports 4 dead... 17 wounded
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

blatboom

it's up to five now (plus the shooter).  dude stepped from behind a screen in a lecture hall and started shooting w/a shotgun.  then he killed himself still up on stage.  I don't know what's more amazing to me.  that something like this can happen or it doesn't happen more often.  if someone wanted to do this on any campus it's not that hard to accomplish and there are a lot of sick fcks out there...

susep

Hollywood, Media, Right to bear arms, Industrial-Military Complex...violence in America is unparallel, domestic and abroad.

The images of today's shooting, and I've yet to see any media or footage, are surreal.  Tougher and more progressive gun control might help, extensive psychological investigations into weapons applicants.
Its our version of a suicide bomber, totally fucked up.

rowjimmy

Quote from: susep73 on February 14, 2008, 10:54:15 PM
Hollywood, Media, Right to bear arms, Industrial-Military Complex...violence in America is unparallel, domestic and abroad.

It's true.

antelope19

It's being reported there are now 7 dead and 15 others "injured".  :|
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

jedifunk

Quote from: blatboom on February 14, 2008, 09:55:08 PM
it's up to five now (plus the shooter).  dude stepped from behind a screen in a lecture hall and started shooting w/a shotgun.  then he killed himself still up on stage.  I don't know what's more amazing to me.  that something like this can happen or it doesn't happen more often.  if someone wanted to do this on any campus it's not that hard to accomplish and there are a lot of sick fcks out there...
doesnt happen more often?  it happens several times a year now... thats too much.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sophist

Quote from: susep73 on February 14, 2008, 10:54:15 PM

The images of today's shooting, and I've yet to see any media or footage, are surreal.  Tougher and more progressive gun control might help, extensive psychological investigations into weapons applicants.
:roll:  :roll:

A gun is only "evil" when the user proceeds to use the gun in a negative context.  Guns exist in every nation in the world, its all about how the individual chooses to use the tools, not the tools being used.   
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

fauxpaxfauxreal

How disgusting.

Does anyone know if Jephrey had any relatives enrolled?

blatboom

Quote from: jedifunk on February 15, 2008, 12:12:39 PM
Quote from: blatboom on February 14, 2008, 09:55:08 PM
doesnt happen more often?  it happens several times a year now... thats too much.

of course once is too often.  my clumsy point was that there are thousands of college campuses and they're wide open to this sort of thing.

and I totally agree with Sophist about guns.  I know lots of people who own guns that would never do something like this.  you make guns illegal and the only people left with guns will be criminals with bad intentions.  apparantly these murders happened in a "Gun-Free Zone."  lot of good that did.

jephrey

No relatives, but many friends used to go there, some coworkers don't miss any of their football games, it's only about 20 minutes from my house, my wife had a class in that same lecture hall...  It is pretty crummy.  People that do this type of thing are obviously sick.  Why take out more than just yourself? 

I had the numbed response when I first heard...  Actually one of the people killed was from Carpentersville (neighbors my town). 
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

susep

Quote from: Sophist on February 15, 2008, 12:53:09 PM
A gun is only "evil" when the user proceeds to use the gun in a negative context.  Guns exist in every nation in the world, its all about how the individual chooses to use the tools, not the tools being used.   

wmd

sophist

Quote from: susep73 on February 16, 2008, 12:21:29 AM
Quote from: Sophist on February 15, 2008, 12:53:09 PM

wmd
Thats not a valid argument.  Nuclear energy has been used for good things, it fits my description.  It is the people who use the tool, not the tool itself.  So controlling the tool doesn't solve the problem, those people can cause damage another way.  I can just easily argue that if every kid at that school had a gun, the shooting wouldn't have happened.  So the point of gun control is moot, as evil existed long before guns.   
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!