News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Speaker Mount Recommendation

Started by antelope19, June 05, 2008, 04:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

SSIA.  Could someone help me out.  I have been looking on Amazon and a few other places, but nothing has really caught my eye.  Currently, I am looking for something that can support the "key Hole" shaped mount, but I guess at some point down the line I will be looking to upgrade speakers.  So I guess I am looking for soemthing that will allow me to "grow".  Any help would be much appreciated.  Oh, I guess I would like to know the benefits/downfalls of mounting to the wall vs. the ceiling also.  Thanks!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Marmar

The Key-Hole mount is for just tackin a nail on the wall....hang said speaker on nail, and yer done.....

The only thing is, you risk vibrations......

The benefits of surface mounting speakers is with fewer contact points with any surfaces, you'll lose less power....let me explain.....When you have a speaker sitting on the floor, a great deal of the energy that goes into moving the cones in the speakers is also transmitted to the box. Guess where that energy goes.....*pffffft* wasted into vibrating the floor.....not only that, but you'll get resonance because the floor is now vibrating, acting like a huge box. This is why many floor standing speakers have speaker spikes on the bottom.....the less contact with any surface you can manage, the cleaner your speakers will sound.

I've tried the 3 common methods.....in-wall, floor standing, and wall mounted....Personally, I like having my fronts on the floor (it's kinda hard to mount 15" 3-way speakers on the wall), and then the rest of the speakers wall mounted....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

antelope19

Marmar

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

antelope19

So, is something like this a bad idea?

These would only be for my rear speakers.  They're going to be behind and to the right and left of the main couch. 

Marmar

As long as it mounts to the bracket, go for it....that's how I had my rears.