News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Torrent Question

Started by jedifunk, December 14, 2004, 01:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

Question about piece sizing.  When creating a new torrent to seed, is it better to have more smaller pieces (2000+ @ 512K) or less larger pieces (~600 @ 1-2MB)?

I'm using Azureus and have been letting it decide for me, but would like to get things set up to run at the most efficient settings possible.

I've looked at the documentation and its a little sparse to say the least.  I want to know as much as possible about BT and torrents so as to make the best use of my time and bandwidth.  As such, I've got tons of questions regarding such things.

Any help and/or insight is greatly appreciated.  Thanks all.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

Tis a guess...  The machine downloading has to re-assemble the chunks.  I'd think bigger is better.  I think the machine downloading may hold them in a cache of some kind too so smaller is better.  I just don't know.  Azureus has what I would call partial pieces, meaning if you stop when a piece is hallf done, it'll be half done when you get back up.  So that's not an issue.  

I don't know.

-Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.