News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

from a reliable source...

Started by mattstick, October 21, 2008, 05:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

i do listen to tons of other music.  but from a live concert experience perspective, nothing can touch a phish concert (perhaps sigur ros would come close, but not that close).

there is something uniquely special and more important, something i feel complete apart of, and i would never want that spoiled by a huge crowd of non phans... while having to compete with them from space, facilities, and all that goes on at a festi.

granted, i've never been to bonnoroo, and i don't doubt that i would enjoy myself there... but i would never want my phish experience brought down to a lower level.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Caravan2001

I have always wanted to check out the roo, as I have only heard great things about from people that have been.  That being said, I don;t know how I would feel about seeing the Phish there. In my experiences, seeing Phish at fests (HORDE etc) or even just with Santana, always changes the vibe for the worst, for me personally. That being said, there is no way I could ever go to roo unless they change the weekend, because  my daughter's bday is June 13 and it takes a real dirtbag to skip his kid's birthday for a rock fest.....

blatboom

it's highly unlikely I would attend, but I must admit I'm intrigued by what the shows would look/sound like.

cactusfan

giant festivals like that just make me tired these days. too many people, too much hassle, never enough music from the bands i actually want to see.

i will attempt to see phish as often as possible once they tour, but that's one stop i'll gladly skip.

gimmetela

phish at bonnaroo = hardest to get  'roo ticket EVAAARRRR!!!!

thechad

Totally not surprised if they do play it this summer.  Don't think it will take the place of their own festie, if they have one.  Just another stop on their tour, and why not play the largest multi-act outdoor event in the county?  That's just good business.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

rowjimmy

I think that an extended tour is not likely...

So, "just another stop" might appear more precious.

thechad

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 22, 2008, 08:03:14 AM
I think that an extended tour is not likely...

So, "just another stop" might appear more precious.

True, meant it more as they just have to show up, plug in, play, collect check, move on.  Day or two off for some of the road crew, then back to whatever left they had planned.  Realistically, I think when summer dates are announced it will be similar to what summer '96 was (only 11 shows if you count the Clifford Ball's two days as two shows), not very many shows, hitting major regions of the country, then a maybe a festie to wrap it up, just with Bonnaroo thrown in the middle somewhere.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

antelope19

Quote from: thechad on October 22, 2008, 02:25:47 AM
Totally not surprised if they do play it this summer.  Don't think it will take the place of their own festie, if they have one.  Just another stop on their tour, and why not play the largest multi-act outdoor event in the county?  That's just good business.

No offense, but being the biggest fest in bumfuck Tennessee just isn't that great.   :-P :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

antelope19

Oh, and for the record, I'm not a fan of this idea.   

thechad

Quote from: antelope19 on October 22, 2008, 11:46:14 AM

No offense, but being the biggest fest in bumfuck Tennessee just isn't that great.   :-P :wink:

I agree that maybe where it takes place isn't the greatest, if the  :phish: do play it, I would be willing to bet they got an offer they couldn't refuse.  Something like a dumptruck full of money pulling up to their front door.

rowjimmy

You highlighted and then ignored the key point.

It's one of the largest in the country. Thats USA.
The fact that they can hold it in "bumfuck Tennessee" and still have such high attendance (especially repeat attendance) is all the more significant.

McGrupp

Quote from: thechad on October 22, 2008, 11:58:16 AM

I agree that maybe where it takes place isn't the greatest, if the  :phish: do play it, I would be willing to bet they got an offer they couldn't refuse.  Something like a dumptruck full of money pulling up to their front door.

Hahaha. Yeah, something like that.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

antelope19

I know, I was more poking fun at the fact he said it was the biggest in the county, not country.  Having the distinction of being the biggest festy in some county in bumfuck TN is not that big a deal.  Being the biggest in the country, on the other hand, is.  

gimmetela

and besides, it's hardly bumfuck tennessee.  you should check out carter county.  
manchester and the area around it is quite pretty.  i'll admit though, the actual festival grounds themselves prolly need some serious maintenance by now.  that shit is rurnt.  (to use an eastern tn. term...)