News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?

Started by emay, July 20, 2012, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

I refuse to allow the acts of a demented few shake my conviction that people should not carry guns. World Peace has to begin at home.

gah

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 20, 2012, 11:06:55 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 20, 2012, 10:54:35 AM
Good for paranoia:

When does "paranoia" become "readiness"? Interested to hear your opinion on that threshold. People get attacked, shot at, robbed every day. Real talk.

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 20, 2012, 10:12:56 AM
You're joking right?

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 20, 2012, 11:08:22 AM
I refuse to allow the acts of a demented few shake my conviction that people should not carry guns. World Peace has to begin at home.

:clap:
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Fair enough, and it's a noble position to take. I happen to take another one and I feel quite comfortable about it. I consider myself far from being part of the problem.
Is this still Wombat?

phil

my conviction that people should not carry guns

You live in the wrong state for that. We have some of the most liberal open carry laws of anywhere in the world. Anywhere but a school, church, or bar is fair game so long as the weapon isn't concealed in any way. No license or anything necessary.

Whether that's a good or bad thing is something I'm not decided on.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

VDB

Quote from: phil on July 20, 2012, 11:13:51 AM
my conviction that people should not carry guns

You live in the wrong state for that. We have some of the most liberal open carry laws of anywhere in the world. Anywhere but a school, church, or bar is fair game so long as the weapon isn't concealed in any way. No license or anything necessary.

Whether that's a good or bad thing is something I'm not decided on.

There are other places where you can legally carry open, unlicensed (Louisiana comes to mind, if I'm not mistaken)*. Except, if you were to open carry in the French Quarter, e.g., they could try to hit you with something like disturbing the peace, effectively putting the kibosh on your open carrying. So I've heard it said.

* Thank you Google -- here's a map for the curious
Is this still Wombat?

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

emay

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 20, 2012, 10:34:36 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 20, 2012, 10:27:55 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 20, 2012, 10:09:44 AM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on July 20, 2012, 09:35:53 AM
Wow intense story,
QuoteGunman kills 12 in Denver shooting at Batman movie
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-shooting-denverbre86j0am-20120720,0,6584688.story

Cant even go see a midnight showing of a popular movie without being scared for your life now. Seems like these shootings happen almost once a year...scary stuff.

Yeah, fuck that shit. There are lunatics out there. Sad but true.

Hate to sound cynical, but this is one reason why, when I go to sit in a dark room packed with a couple hundred strangers, I have my gun on me. Imagine if someone in the front row was carrying, there might be fewer grieving families today.

/soapbox

(Yeah, sorry, I know... politiw00k >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>)

Dude had on a bullet-proof vest - you may not have stopped him before he stopped you.

Maybe not, but it would have been worth a try. Also, the standard idea is two shots to center mass, one to the head.

That and the canister of tear gas would probably deter my ability to make a straight head shot. It is almost like the dude was planning on someone having a gun and he took measures to ensure he would be successful in his attack. Straight up psycho shit. I cannot fathom the idea of running into a random public place and tryin to kill as many people as possible...maybe one of those kids was to grow up and be the modern Hitler and this guy took him out early. That argument goes the other way as well, maybe one could have been the next Einstein...but this stuff keeps occurring and its pretty scary shit.

Were on the brink of a zombie Apocalypse people, you should never leave your house with your keys wallet and concealed weapon, duh.

runawayjimbo

People aren't allowed to buy drugs (well, some drugs anyway) either; are they any less available for the people who want them?

I agree with you that the relatively infrequent acts of the deranged shouldn't influence people's behavior. But I also don't believe that if you limit the rights of responsible gun owners (which, as your statement implies, make up the overwhelming majority of cases) we would be inherently safer. If people feel they need to protect themselves from these rare and senseless acts by owning a gun, I personally don't see why they should not be able to do that.

(full disclosure: I do not own a gun and have no desire to, but when I began having a family, I at least understood why some people would want to. YMMV)

ETA: forgot to mention, I don't see how gun ownership is a threat to world peace. I'd imagine our friend VDB, for example, has never fired his gun at another person. Does the fact that he simply owns a gun make the world more violent? I don't think so.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

natronzero

The idea that people around me in a movie theater might be carrying a weapon doesn't make me feel even the slightest bit safer, regardless of whether they're trained and licensed, and regardless of how responsible and competent they may consider themselves.

For argument's sake, are there many/any real-life examples of heroic civilians who happened to be packing at the time preventing or mitigating a massacre like this? I'm not necessarily saying it's never happened, I'm just unaware of any examples.

Edit: For the record, I'm all for defending one's safety at home by whatever means necessary.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

emay

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 20, 2012, 11:44:45 AM

People aren't allowed to buy drugs (well, some drugs anyway) either; are they any less available for the people who want them?

I agree with you that the relatively infrequent acts of the deranged shouldn't influence people's behavior. But I also don't believe that if you limit the rights of responsible gun owners (which, as your statement implies, make up the overwhelming majority of cases) we would be inherently safer. If people feel they need to protect themselves from these rare and senseless acts by owning a gun, I personally don't see why they should not be able to do that.

(full disclosure: I do not own a gun and have no desire to, but when I began having a family, I at least understood why some people would want to. YMMV)

I see what your saying. As not being a father or having a family myself, I find there is not need to have a gun. Looking at it from the prospective of having a family, the only way I would see myself owning a gun is if I lived in a very bad neighborhood and would have it just for a threat of some kind of robbery or home invasion, which does tend to happen a lot here in Baltimore. I have had two teachers and a lot of friends be victim to something like this.
I have actually been held up at gunpoint and the dude got in my car and tried to steal my car, luckily I was in a shitty neighborhood and got my keys out and ran up to a car right next to me and was freaked out asking for help, the dude that I asked for help had a gun as well haha and walked up to homeboy in my car and flashed it at him asking if he had a problem. The guy ended up taking off running, maybe it wasnt loaded or something but def could have ended up in a shoot out.

Back to my point, the only time I would have a gun is to protect my household. I doubt I would ever carry it outside my house to protect myself. I would be too worried about hitting innocent bystanders or just starting a gun duel that would cause even more altercation. I usually tend to go the route of pacifism myself.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: natronzero on July 20, 2012, 11:49:30 AM
For argument's sake, are there many/any real-life examples of heroic civilians who happened to be packing at the time preventing or mitigating a massacre like this? I'm not necessarily saying it's never happened, I'm just unaware of any examples.

I don't know of any examples, but the thinking behind concealed carry is that events like this are much less likely to happen if the potential shooter has to wonder if his own life is in danger by someone(s) intervening. The counterargument would probably be that a person doing something like this isn't exactly concerned for his own safety so he couldn't care less whether or not anyone else was packing. It's up to you which side of the argument you choose to subscribe to.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mattstick

Watching Americans discussing gun control is fucked.

gah

Quote from: mattstick on July 20, 2012, 12:06:39 PM

Watching Americans discussing gun control is fucked.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

You're crazy. What that theater needed was MORE people with guns.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 20, 2012, 11:44:45 AM

ETA: forgot to mention, I don't see how gun ownership is a threat to world peace. I'd imagine our friend VDB, for example, has never fired his gun at another person. Does the fact that he simply owns a gun make the world more violent? I don't think so.

I didn't take RJ's point had anything to do with outlawing guns - simply that he chooses not to own a gun because world peace starts at home. Don't want to put words in his mouth, but that's how I feel, so there it is.

I first shot a .22 rifle at age 7. I believe children need to be taught to respect guns and how to use them safely. I don't believe we can outlaw guns at this point. It's far too late for that. I do believe we need to regulate them and do our best to eliminate automatic assault rifles and the like, but we cannot outlaw guns altogether at this point. It will never work.

But, I, like RJ, do not own a gun because I, like RJ, believe world peace starts at home.

As a child I was not allowed to own any toy guns... even a hot-pink water pistol would have been off limits in my house. But, again, I learned to shoot a real gun at age 7. I learned that guns are not toys. If I ever have kids, I will teach the same lessons.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul