News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/07 - Comcast Center - Mansfield, MA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by aphineday, June 07, 2011, 11:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: G. Augusto on June 08, 2011, 12:07:40 AM
Jimbo bringing the HATE!

I blame you and that damn NTJ game.

Quote from: PhishPhan on June 08, 2011, 12:12:09 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 08, 2011, 12:04:10 AM
Quote from: PhishPhan on June 07, 2011, 11:59:04 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 07, 2011, 11:53:35 PM
Quote from: Hicks on June 07, 2011, 11:51:22 PM
Second set was blueballs big time after RnR.

But they played Antelope?! In the 2nd set?! That's gotta be worth the price of admission right there.

As sarcastic as that comment is, I'm am going to seriously answer it.

Yes.

OK. Here's one that's not so sarcastic: I truly wish I could blindly defend mediocrity like you. It is inspiring.

It may appear mediocre to you, but personally, I would have still loved to have been there. It may be due to my lack of attended shows (only nine, as of right now), or just my fascination with the music, but I still love it, despite their apparent mistakes over the past couple of years. I'm sorry you don't share my opinion, I didn't intend to spark such bad feelings from you.

See, now you make me feel bad.

I agree, shows are fun. I can't wait for Friday. I think the bvaz "less is more" approach is probably a good idea for me, but I doubt I have the discipline to pull it off. And I guess since they didn't play Dr. Gabel I'd say they improved from last year (although Fish almost ruined it with his Dr. Gabel shoutout during Suzy).

Sorry if I came off like a dick.
:beers:
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

DoW

Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 08, 2011, 12:24:08 AM
Jimbo bringing the HATE!

But they played Antelope?! In the 2nd set?! That's gotta be worth the price of admission right there.

Yes.

OK. Here's one that's not so sarcastic: I truly wish I could blindly defend mediocrity like you. It is inspiring.

It may appear mediocre to you, but personally, I would have still loved to have been there. It may be due to my lack of attended shows (only nine, as of right now), or just my fascination with the music, but I still love it, despite their apparent mistakes over the past couple of years. I'm sorry you don't share my opinion, I didn't intend to spark such bad feelings from you.

I agree, shows are fun. I can't wait for Friday. I think the bvaz "less is more" approach is probably a good idea for me, but I doubt I have the discipline to pull it off. And I guess since they didn't play Dr. Gabel I'd say they improved from last year (although Fish almost ruined it with his Dr. Gabel shoutout during Suzy).

honestly.  last fall I got burned out on phish.  it was so easy for me to see so many shows without really missing much work time.
besides 1/1, the only 2011 phish I heard before tonight was WTU playing the halleys and makisupa before the jauntee show friday which I appreciate because I got the page's house reference tonight which I wouldn't have gotten.

I have no idea how tonight will sound on disc but I truly appreciated phish tonight because I wasn't burned out on them.

my highlight was instant karma.  it brought me back to 12/31/01 and was a bit emotional for me.  but it proves what we already know, music connects us to everyday life and has such an influence on us.

musically, the end of sky was my highlight.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

PhishPhan

Jimbo bringing the HATE!

Yes.

I didn't mean to make you feel bad about your comments.

I apologize. I just always assume anything that is typed is with the utmost negativity. I've just been so used to being criticized for my opinions (in real life, not here), despite the fact that I probably do the same to others. Thus, I've unintentionally become sensitive towards contradictions. My bad, brother.

WhatstheUse?

I will add.... it seemed like a super tame crowd tonight.

I think the "Lets go Bruins " chant was louder than any of the cheers for phish.
Bring in the dude!

DoW

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on June 08, 2011, 12:31:39 AM
I will add.... it seemed like a super tame crowd tonight.

I think the "Lets go Bruins " chant was louder than any of the cheers for phish.
trey had to be pissed considering the bruins demolished the flyers.
I completely thought TTE was coming.

by the way, I labeled tonight the animals show.  4 phish animal songs.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Undermind

I had a blast tonight!  Band sounding great! Furthur details tomorrow!
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Alumni

Jimbo bringing the HATE!

Yes.

My memory is shot to hell, but I remember at one point (fall 97? summer 98? fall 98?) the band talked about some sort of 'no analysis' rule. To me, that's the essence of 3.0 phish. Show up. Enjoy. Leave. And that's it. Took me 3 years to figure out, which is par for the course with me, but that's another story,
Cause I got a degree

jasonsobel

sing me back home before I die

thatfargone

So, are we ever going to seriously discuss the music of this band ever again????  Night after night, it's just "I had fun", "phish is fun", "I had a great time."  Aren't these review threads???....shouldn't we be discussing how the band performed, how the music was?, you know...actual discussion.  It's sad how much this band...and it's fan base has degraded. 

I remember how at one time a group of phish fans could talk about how Treys run in a certain song was considerably different than the last version....how you could sense the band getting better night after night, changing their sound tour, after tour.  Now it seems the people who want to seriously discuss things have to deal with endless "you're a hater" "why don't you stay at home then"...blah, blah, blah. 

Its so depressing to me that there is such a divide amongst two very different sets of fans.  It seems very clear that if you fell in love with this band in the 90's that by doing what we always have....holding this band to a higher standard, is just pissing off the fans that fell in love with them when they weren't even a band.  Maybe it is similar for the old Dead fans who just saw a flood of immature kids showing up on lot to buy drugs and rage with no idea how things were in the past.  It seems as though, expecting tickets for well under face, getting pissed off if you have something different to say, wandering around meeting as many people as you can, taking peoples seats, weasling down as close as possible and getting so fucked up you don't really remember the music is becoming the norm and for a fan like me that toured the country with a close friend or two, or in my case the majority of last year by myself in car no longer has a place in this community.  There is no sense of real family.  Its a "crew" of people going and spending the majority of their time together, with out any respect for other people.  Its all about the fun now.  And I'm telling you that have no clue...a lot of touring in the 90's wasn't fun.  No cell phones, no internet in your pocket....no google maps....no expedia.  Fans today seem lazy and selfish.  Theres no Pharmers Almanac handing out directions and traffic tips to us, no Green Crew that cleans up all our shit.  Hell, just looking at a venue after a show these days is appalling and to me disgusting.  No one hands out trash bags, no fans stay behind to help clean.  There is no sense of purpose or pride with fans these days.  No one wants to give back, it's just take , take, take.  And, if someone even remotely suggests things were better or could be better....it just pisses people off. 

I want to continue to love this band and all the fans....it's just getting really hard. 
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

jasonsobel

Quote from: thatfargone on June 08, 2011, 02:01:40 AM
So, are we ever going to seriously discuss the music of this band ever again????  Night after night, it's just "I had fun", "phish is fun", "I had a great time."  Aren't these review threads???....shouldn't we be discussing how the band performed, how the music was?, you know...actual discussion.  It's sad how much this band...and it's fan base has degraded. 

here's my addition to the discussion.  while not really touching on the technical aspects of their playing, but still what I would consider a serious discussion of the music of Phish.

I go to see Phish because on any given night, they have the ability to transport you to another place, where all the worries and concerns of real life disappear, and you experience music that is so great that it fills your soul, and connects you to the band and the other people in attendance.  All Phish shows are "fun" and it's great to dance, blah blah blah, but in order for this connection to happen, the music really has to be on another level.  Personally, I know the music is on that other level and I feel that connection when I have a tingling sensation in my neck and head, and a feeling a bliss and joy overwhelms me.  seriously, it's physical response that I feel to Phish's music (at times).  (and, if anyone is interested, I've been completely sober at every Phish show I've seen since the CCCC 12/8/99 show).  In the past, Phish would typically reach that level during a group improvisation.

in 2009, I had "fun" at all the shows I went to, but after Fall tour,  I had a serious discussion (in my own head) about why I went to see Phish.  none of the shows in 2009 really brought me to that other level.  but in 2010, it all started to come back.

To get a little specific, in regards to this evening performance in Mansfield, IT happened for me during Divided Sky, Mango Song, Pebbles & Marbles, and Antelope.

I'm not saying that these are the best versions of these songs, or that the Divided Sky stacks up against a 1994 Divided Sky.  But that's not what it's about..  It's not about comparing today's Phish vs the Phish of 17 years ago.  They have progressed, grown, changed, and moved on, just as we all have.  Which isn't to say that I don't care about the technical playing, or that I don't notice when Trey flubs a line, or whatever.  Because that's important.  It's important to get it right, and unfortunately they don't get it right 100% of the time.  and I know that they could do better if they all got together an practiced like it was their full time job the entire time between tours.  but they get it right most of the time, such that the flubs don't get in the way of really inspired playing.  and that's what I saw tonight.  a "fun" show, with many moments of truly inspired playing.
sing me back home before I die

sumodie

Quote from: thatfargone on June 08, 2011, 02:01:40 AM

I remember how at one time a group of phish fans could talk about how Treys run in a certain song was considerably different than the last version....how you could sense the band getting better night after night, changing their sound tour, after tour.  Now it seems the people who want to seriously discuss things have to deal with endless "you're a hater" "why don't you stay at home then"...blah, blah, blah. 

Its so depressing to me that there is such a divide amongst two very different sets of fans.  It seems very clear that if you fell in love with this band in the 90's that by doing what we always have....holding this band to a higher standard, is just pissing off the fans that fell in love with them when they weren't even a band.  Maybe it is similar for the old Dead fans who just saw a flood of immature kids showing up on lot to buy drugs and rage with no idea how things were in the past.  It seems as though, expecting tickets for well under face, getting pissed off if you have something different to say, wandering around meeting as many people as you can, taking peoples seats, weasling down as close as possible and getting so fucked up you don't really remember the music is becoming the norm and for a fan like me that toured the country with a close friend or two, or in my case the majority of last year by myself in car no longer has a place in this community.  There is no sense of real family.  Its a "crew" of people going and spending the majority of their time together, with out any respect for other people.  Its all about the fun now.  And I'm telling you that have no clue...a lot of touring in the 90's wasn't fun.  No cell phones, no internet in your pocket....no google maps....no expedia.  Fans today seem lazy and selfish.  Theres no Pharmers Almanac handing out directions and traffic tips to us, no Green Crew that cleans up all our shit.  Hell, just looking at a venue after a show these days is appalling and to me disgusting.  No one hands out trash bags, no fans stay behind to help clean.  There is no sense of purpose or pride with fans these days.  No one wants to give back, it's just take , take, take.  And, if someone even remotely suggests things were better or could be better....it just pisses people off. 

I want to continue to love this band and all the fans....it's just getting really hard.

You are living in a dream world that didn't fully exist in the 90s either. Furthermore, I find the community today just as good/bad as ever -I've befriended a whole new set of phish friends in 3.0, and it's been an awesome ride. The '90s were never some phishtopia, only here n there at times. Also depends what venues you hit, same as it ever was.

sumodie

Tonight's hightlights:

RnRoll is peak
though I favor the smoking Pebbles & Marbles that also featured some great jamming at the end (more 2.0 please!)

Mango was finally tight
Mike's Al Green tune, Rhymes, was excellent and is a cover keeper, imo. Very well played taboot
Buttery smooth Bowie, Dsky ocedoc soloing, love the contrast with Stealing Time (which deserves some dark extended jamming!!!!)
Page welcomed us back to his house with some sick work in Suzie
very fluid Bowie, and solid Antelope
Back on the Train also had extra gas
and I'm always down for Bug!

seriously tight show, one huge peak and some smaller ones. Excellent high energy playing -the boys are juiced in 2011.

If you can't see the quality in this show, then maybe it's time for a break. And my guess is that Darien will top this one. I'm packed and ready to get wook-down'd on the coasters.

sumodie

Instant Karma seemed better played than previously -Trey added some intriguing solo work near the end -not sure he did that last time. I enjoyed it, but I doubt I'll ever truly dig Phish's version. Love the OG, but something doesn't translate for me when our boys drop it. Would rather hear Mike sing Al Green's Rhymes (from tonight) instead, or better yet some Page original like Halfway to the Moon

G. Augusto

mistercharlie

I like Mike's solo cover of Rhymes and expect this one to be pleasing as well. I'll reserve judgment of the rest of the showfor after having listened to it.

I'm most looking forward to P&M.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.