News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2012 Election Thread

Started by runawayjimbo, January 03, 2012, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on April 11, 2012, 02:05:25 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on April 11, 2012, 10:08:59 AM
Oh, there's no chance Romney would put Santorum as VP (if he does, he's dumber than I thought he was). Not only does Santorum alienate a significant portion of the independent vote, but Romney was going to beat him in PA so he doesn't even help Romney in his home state. But I could (unfortunately) see some kind of cabinet level position or ambassadorship or some shit like that. I still think Santorum was more concerned about losing PA than anything else (with the possible exception of the health of his daughter), but it wouldn't surprise me if you saw a Santorum appointment somewhere in a Romney administration.

I agree that Santorum for VP would be a bad idea for Romney. After that, I really don't see the point of giving him some other administration job considering a) it would be post-election, so any "GOP unity" or "team of rivals" argument wouldn't necessarily apply since there isn't an electorate to sway; and b) what has Satorum, who got smacked in the 2006 election, done to distinguish himself as a competent leader or expert in any vital government field? Seems to me the guy basically brings social and religious controversy to the table and little else.

spelling...

Agreed. It was really just my skepticism that any politician would do something beneficial to a rival unless they got a cut of the action. The fact that Santorum didn't come out for Romney yesterday tells me there was no such offer.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Hicks

Clearly Newt is the only logical choice for VP.   :evil:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on April 11, 2012, 03:08:46 PM
Clearly Newt is the only logical choice for VP.   :evil:

Speaking of your boy, can somebody loan Newt $500 so he can get on the ballot in Utah? And how about the balls on this guy pretending he is the obvious choice for Santorum supporters? It takes a special kind of arrogance to keep this charade going.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/220891-report-gingrichs-500-check-for-utah-primary-filing-fee-bounces

Report: Gingrich's $500 check for Utah primary filing fee bounces

GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich might fail to appear on the Utah primary ballot after a check for the required filing fee bounced, according to media reports.

The check for $500 bounced on March 27, Utah state election director Mark Thomas told ABC News, which first reported the story.

"Our office immediately attempted to contact the campaign and the designated agent but no phone calls were returned," said Thomas, according to ABC.

"We also asked the state Republican Party to assist us, but they also could not get into communication with them, although I do not know how they attempted to contact them," he added.
The incident highlights fundraising woes for Gingrich who has struggled to raise money and win delegates, after his early victory in South Carolina's first-in-the-nation primary. Gingrich trails front-runner Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum, who exited the race Tuesday, in national polls.

Earlier this month, one of his top contributor's, real estate mogul Sheldon Adelson, suggested it was time for the GOP to rally behind Romney and that Gingrich may have hit a dead end in his presidential bid.

The former House Speaker, though, has insisted he would stay in the race until the GOP convention in Tampa.

On Tuesday, after Santorum announced he would exit from the race, Gingrich sought to recast the Republican contest as a two-man race between him and Romney.

Gingrich said Santorum's departure "makes it clearer that there's a conservative, named Newt Gingrich, and there's Mitt Romney."

Gingrich made a pitch to Santorum's delegates. "I humbly ask Sen. Santorum's supporters to visit Newt.org to review my conservative record and join us as we bring these values to Tampa. We know well that only a conservative can protect life, defend the Constitution, restore jobs and growth and return to a balanced budget," he said.

sls.stormyrider

my guess is Romney will pick Rubio
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

Quote from: slslbs on April 11, 2012, 05:40:25 PM

That'd be a bold choice considering his knee problems.     :wink:
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

phil

Quote from: Hicks on April 11, 2012, 05:47:06 PM

That'd be a bold choice considering his knee problems.     :wink:

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I was just about to go there.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Superfreakie

Possible, but Rubio has some bizarre shit in his closet.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Superfreakie on April 13, 2012, 06:36:21 PM

would you trust someone who didn't?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

kellerb

Quote from: slslbs on April 13, 2012, 09:53:34 PM

I wouldn't trust them to actually be a republican

Superfreakie

Quote from: kellerb on April 13, 2012, 11:22:30 PM
Quote from: slslbs on April 13, 2012, 09:53:34 PM

I wouldn't trust them to actually be a republican

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard both good points
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

runawayjimbo

Maybe, but he could turn FL red and he helps out at least a little with the massive problem the GOP has with Latinos. It's a political and completely transparent choice which is another reason why he's probably the odds on favorite.

Paul Ryan would be a pretty stupid pick IMO since he hands Obama the "they want to steal your Medicare because they hate old people" attack. Plus I don't think Romney can win WI even with him so I'm not sure what he brings to the table.

Chris Christie would be the most annoying VP candidate since the last election (although it might be worth it for the Royal Rumble that would break out during the Biden-Christie VP debate).

VDB

Juan Williams thinks Romney should pick Condi Rice as his running mate.

I admit I don't know a whole heck of lot about her, but... doesn't sound like such a bad play.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on May 02, 2012, 09:48:06 AM

I admit I don't know a whole heck of lot about her, but... doesn't sound like such a bad play.

How'd that work out last time when they went with a game changing, make-a-statement pick?

Juan is right that she is infinitely more qualified than the previous bimbo, but I think because she is so closely tied to the Bush legacy of nation building and endless war it would be enough to turn off anti-war independents (speaking of which, Obama's speech last night made me nauseous). I think someone like Rob Portman who is a much lower profile Bush-y would be better on the fiscal conservative front (despite his penchant for deficit spending as budget director) and in trying to capture one of the crown jewels (OH). Still, Condi's foreign policy chops would help blunt the one area that Obama would be considered by many (not me, but many) to have an advantage right now.

VDB

Quote from: runawayjimbo on May 02, 2012, 10:42:59 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on May 02, 2012, 09:48:06 AM

How'd that work out last time when they went with a game changing, make-a-statement pick?

Juan is right that she is infinitely more qualified than the previous bimbo

I think you answered the question right there. I wouldn't put Rice and Palin in anywhere near the same league.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

LOL, yeah Romney going over to China or Russia and talking about the trees being "the right height" sounds like some first class diplomacy to me.