News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W12: 08-02-1997 The Gorge Amphitheatre, Quincy, WA

Started by jonyem, July 31, 2006, 10:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on July 31, 2006, 05:31:48 PM
Quote from: VA slim on July 31, 2006, 05:02:16 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on July 31, 2006, 04:52:15 PM
ah yeah, again and again!

(can you guess where that quote is from?)

its a hip hop song... can hear it in my head... can't place it... thanks, now i'm gonna go nuts tryin to figure it out.

:-D  perfect, just the effect i was hoping for!
:frustrated: :evil:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on August 02, 2006, 07:08:49 PM
u need help slim?  hehe :evil:

dude, do you realize how few brain cells are left over here in this delapedated shell i call a head??

your f--in killin me. :samurai:

HELP!!?!?!?!!!!!!!! :-o

jedifunk

wu-tang...

the call in... yo, you know i never, ever call in and request shit right?  what do you want to hear... that wu-tang... ah yeah, again and again!
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on August 02, 2006, 08:44:26 PM
wu-tang...

the call in... yo, you know i never, ever call in and request shit right?  what do you want to hear... that wu-tang... ah yeah, again and again!

wheeewwww!!

thats great i was at least in the bALLPARK...

honest to god, i had it narrowed in my head to DEla or Wu-tang... i kept thinkin wu-tang, but couldnt place it exactly, then i'd drift off to the solo albums from Method and GZA, then i'd lose it all over again!!

ahhhh yeaaahhh!!
again and again!!!
:mrgreen:

jedifunk

Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

sls.stormyrider

Only listened to set 1 so far - great show!!!
theme - great way to open the show. strong version
ginsent - good
ghost - some cool sounding effects from trey about 8:30, with fish on the bell. nice funky groove, but the jam doesn't have much else beside that, imo.
dogs - fun
%sky - love this song. great song, great version. i would've loved to be there at sunset
wolfman's - highlight of the set for me. trey playing some tasty licks under his vocals. great jam with all 4 involved. some great rhythms by fish, builds to a nice peak toward the end where the feeling changes a bit.
water in the sky - a little bit of a downer after the great wolfmans
split - well done, solid jam. personally, i like the 94s (6/11 stands out)

overall - great set 1
review on set 2 to come but from what I am hearing so far I predict a strong rating for DWD
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Alumni

Set I
Theme - Doesn't stray too far from the blueprints. Thought it might be the opening of a continuous, fluid set. In that small sense, I was kind of disappointed that the sound washed away, leaving a few moments of silence and then
Ginseng - I enjoy the bluegrass tunes, and Ive been in love w/this one ever since hearing the 12.31.93 version, w/ the roundabout tease.
Ghost - All right. A Theme->Ghost might've been a little demented, even for my tastes. Jam is nice, but maybe a bit spare (for me, anyway)
Dogs Dogs.
Sky Not a tune I really look for . . . This version's pretty good, though, and it must have been stunning at that time of evening, and at that venue, though.
wolfmans . . . is growing on me these days. I still find myself getting distracted during some of them . . . really enjoyed this one, though.
waterI prefer this style, by which I mean it's okay, I guess 
splitNicely played through the composed section. Jam is very nice - I agree it's a standout version. Very different from earlier monster melts.

Set II to come   
Cause I got a degree

sls.stormyrider

roundabout - that's what the tease was. just couldn't place it. thanks
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Alumni

and it was played so perfectly, that I really did expect them to bust out some serious prog rock. And then ginseng. Another classic phish moment.

Set II
God, this recording is chatty. Best moment - 15 seconds into DwD . . . "Mike, you're taping this, right?" No, I just broght my home system for the lot and didn't feel safe leaving it there. I made that up, but you get the idea.
DwD when Trey whispered "rock and roll, man," shaking his fist in the air, during the 7.12.96 encore, this is probably what he had in mind. Rock n roll, man :evil: After a great intro and a hotter-than-average DWD, the jam keeps going, but mellows out, w/some distorted bluesy riffs. This is interesting, but not THAT interesting - it's in danger of going on a bit too long (imo). Just in time, it's
TweezerWhich is also mellow to start, but I'm not complaining. Weirdness during the first chorus. Tempo goes speedupslowdownspeedupslowdown and settles on slow. Slow spacefunk in the pre-ebenezer section, and I can't help thinking I'm listening to this 10 hours too early :) Favorite part is the soaring crescendo in the final minutes leading into
JBG It's irrelevant, but I'm on the side of those whose setlists read DwD>Tweezer>JBG - it's no more than a disease tease between Tweezer and JBG, and you always have the sense that this monster's gonna keep moving forward, rather than shift back into Disease. Just my take. I've never had any problems w/JBG. Even blew me away once, at Hampton 96, when Kuroda choreographed a swirling light segment that just fell *perfectly* on Trey's guitar outro, note for effin' note. The end to this one is slower and more drawn out. I half expected them to slam into Julius.
Sparkleslow, by sparkle standards, with some almost trippy organ work. I appreciate the modest change of pace.
Wading Not a fan. Maybe if Trey were lower in the mix, it would have a different sound that I'd enjoy more. As it is . . . I'm just not a fan of this. I might be alone here. That's okay - I don't mind.
LC Fine version
TweepriseAnother fine version. And I think I'd rather get it as a setcloser than as an encore, just to keep a bit of suspense, so you're not 99% sure of what's left to be played.
Hood Exhibit A. Are you kidding?!? Almost expect more of a reaction from the crowd when this one starts. But it comes later . . . by about 6 mins :) For me a good hood completely hinges on the intricacy and patience of the rise. The ending surge is gonna happen either way, but how its perceived is determined by the build. I think that's why I enjoy the Spokane Hood from 95. And, of course, this one. Enthralling end to a great set and a very enjoyable show. I'll go with a B+ again this week.
Cause I got a degree

jedifunk

its interesting to see how everyone grades shows week to week...  and where their biases/favorites lie....

you can tell those who prefer an older style phish, and those who enjoy the funkier/groovier stuff...  i fall in the later (duh)... and as such simply love this show...
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Alumni

Yeah . . . I think there's something to that. I'm also just a really stingy grader. I don't throw around "A"s lightly.

A+  once-in-a-lifetime, historic, epic, count-'em on one hand
A   a (nearly) flawless performance, 2(+) outstanding sets of creativity, energy, and flow.
A-  nearly epic, but maybe with one unexceptional set

B+  excellent, much better-than-average, may be slightly uneven, but with memorable versions of at least 2 songs
B    significantly better than average, with highly memorable version of at least one song
B-  garden variety phish. typically geat performance, but nothing historic or above the norm

I've heard performances that I wouldn't rate a B-, but so far none here, so I'll leave it at that :)
Cause I got a degree

sls.stormyrider

set 2 was where the action is

DWD - very cool intro, loved the jam, I would say top 10 version for me. Awesome seque into Tweezer - not quite as good as 7/22, but in the same league
Tweezer - great pre ebeneezer section, got a chuckle out of a flubbed lyric. very cool jam with nice trey-mike-page work with fish again supplying the backbone. rocks out toward the end with a nice crescendo, and ANOTHER great seque into a short DWD jam
JGB - rocknroll
Sparkle-not ready for this yet
Velvet Sea- I like this song, placement not great. would have preferred it right after JGB. I like the mellow work trey did for the solo
Loving Cup-yeaa
Tweeprixe - nice
Hood - another great version. again, wish I could've been there. Very nice, mellow jam with trey, mike and page acting as one musician. t-r section, I think around 8:30 or 9:30 (I forget, wasn't taking notes as I was driving).

Overall killer second set
A
thanks for this one joneym (and jedi for seeding)
:beers:

thelot

highlights...

Set I:
Ghost: Nice!
Divided Sky: This one brought back some memories...nice version.
Wolfmans: Rippin'
Split Open: SICK!

Set II:
Disease>: Solid version
Tweezer>: All I wanted to do was step into a freezer, one of the hottest shows I ever attended...good version.
JBG: :banana:
Hood: This one also brought back some memories...good stuff! :beers:

Good show. I give it a 4.0 out of 5 for this tour. :wink:

jonyem

I'm glad this was an enjoyable pick.
It's cool how differently we each hear the same thing.
THAT'S what being a music fan is all about.