News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R6/W08: 6-19-1995 Deer Creek, IN

Started by Mr Minor, February 08, 2009, 10:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Minor

In honor of the show at Deer Creek this summer...

Phish 06/19/95    Deer Creek Amphitheater - Noblesville, IN

Source:    DAUD/OTS Schoeps CMC5/mk4 > Aerco > Casio DA-R100@48k
      Master(on DA-R100 listed above) > clone used in below transfer

Conversion:    R500 > Canare Coax > Sek'd Prodif Plus > Soundforge 5.0
      (fade in/out/48>44.1 at highest setting[4of4]
      with anti-alias filter) > CD Wave > SHNv3 via Monkey's/md5sum.exe
      (shn files have seek tables appended) **No DAE at all**       

Transfer was done twice, then inverted over itself to determine transfer
errors.  No errors were present or the errors that were present were inaudible and due to
differing error correction on the DAT playbacks not transfer errors.

Detailed info:   Slight windnoise here and there.
      See shntool logs below for proof of correct tracking.

Minor Edits:   Fades in/out beg/end of sets--5 sec in all cases.

Taped by Jason Frankhouser, with the gear of Adam Gross.
The DATs (clones from the master) for this transfer were supplied by Franklin Malemud.
Transferred and uploaded by Jim Raras <jraras@yahoo.com> via Dankseeds
Please contact me with questions etc.  There are also 48k shn's of this seed for archival.

Disc 1 / Set I                                          01:18:50
01. Theme From the Bottom
02. Poor Heart
03. AC/DC Bag
04. Tela
05. Punch You in the Eye
06. Reba
07. Strange Design
08. Rift
09. Cavern
10. Run Like an Antelope

Disc 2 / Set II                                        01:11:27
01. Simple ->
02. David Bowie
03. The Mango Song
04. Loving Cup
05. Sparkle
06. You Enjoy Myself

Disc 3 / Set II con't & Encore                                    00:25:59
01. Acoustic Army
02. Possum
03. Encore Break/Crowd
04. A Day in the Life

Show Notes: Bowie featured a Mind Left Body tease from Trey.

http://db.etree.org/shninfo_detail.php?shnid=10471
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=522279

Sendspace:
Set I
http://www.sendspace.com/file/t53ffi
Set II
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yd75sa

Submitted Reviews

Ytown
August
Birdman
Declan
Khalpin
Blatboom
Mandi
Mr. Minor
Mirthbeatenworker
pnchundi

mbw

birdman

I came down with a serious stomach illness at this show. I was running in and out of port-o-lets all night long. Wretched experience. But I did enjoy the show. Nice pick
Paug FTMFW!

khalpin

Theme: They spotlight this one in the show opener slot.  A real nice jam to kick things off.

Poor Heart: Well, Fishman's certainly excited.  Nice solo spots.

AC/DC Bag: Keeping things going here.  Jam gets smokin' hot, as usual.

Tela: Nice treat here.  Page's voice sounds a little funny at first, but is fine after that.  Trey tears it up during the ending solo.

PYITE: And picking the energy right back up.  Fishman switches things up a bit in the intro section.  Trey comes in early late in the song but quickly recovers.  Then Fishman tries to end it early but quickly recovers.  Then they end it.

Reba: As a side note, I don't know about the Schoeps source that Mr. Minor upped, but I'm listening to the Nakamichi CM300s source and it sounds delicious.  Anyway, this isn't your average Reba.  Starts off with a tight composed section.  Then the jam goes along for a couple minutes and then Trey starts up with a groovy riff ~9:00 and the rest of the band quickly jumps in.  They jam it out for a couple minutes and then go back to the Reba jam.  Nice peaks and a triumphant finish, with whistling, too.  Very nice Reba.

Strange Design: A little cool down.

Rift: A bit of a rough patch there.  Let's see if this is one of those oft-mentioned "make up for it" songs.  Pretty solid from there out, but that's about it.

Cavern: To close out the set.

Antelope: Ah no!  All those f'ers that left for the bathroom during Cavern are running back to their seats now.  Great jam.  Page jumps on the clav ~5:00 for a little bit then back to the piano.  He's very visible in this mix actually.  Totally ragin' ~6:30.  Nice little peak ~7:00.  Great tension and a nice finish.  Back in 16 minutes.

A real solid first set that reeks of Summer '95 goodness.

Simple: For the set opener.  It's pretty much just the song portion, then Trey drops out and it gets spacy with sound effects and all.  Eventually everyone slowly drops out they go into:

Bowie: Nice spacy intro.  Good composed section.  Then this one doesn't even start off like the typical Bowie jam.  Straight into space without any chord progression.  It's mostly Trey and Mike bouncing things off each other.  Page joins in a little later and it meanders around, but not really going anywhere.  Then around 11:00 they pick up the traditional Bowie progression.  Not for too long, though.  It's right back out into space.  Gets very fall '94.  Now we're cookin'!  Trey starts a riff similar to Mission Impossible and they eventually go back for the finale.  A bit over the halfway point here, I was thinking this was a throwaway version, but it got pretty cool in the second half.

Mango/Loving Cup: Both standard and well played.  And curiously, both seemed a bit off vocally.  Maybe it's just me. 

Sparkle: Sparkle

YEM: Perfect spot for this.  Mike throws some sweet licks in while Trey plays the note.  After the tramps segment, Mike just keeps hitting that note with that wah-type effect.  Seems like they're just waiting for someone to do something.  Makes me wonder if there are shenanigans taking place onstage. Finally the jam kicks off ~13:00.  Nice.  Good B&D.  Actually a pretty tolerable vocal jam, which is rare.

Acoustic Army: Pretty cool to see them all up there with acoustics, but musically, it's kinda meh.

Possum: Solid, high energy closer.

Day in the Life: Only the second time played.  Not as tight as it would later get, but actually had a pretty cool ending, which doesn't happen as much in later versions.

I think I might like the first set better than the second.  Not that the second set was that bad, but the first set seemed to give so much promise, but there was a bit of a lull in the middle of the second set and there weren't any mindblowing jams.  I give the show a B+.  I think the Reba is probably the highlight.

pnchundi

holy shit, i think this might be my favorite pick for the round (so far)

theme- i was surprised to have this as an opener but they sink into it and there is a sweet jam.  mike is super nimble
poor heart- a very fast take with fishman hooting and hollering throughout.  remember 95 was the summer of snow
ac/dc- really fast on the heels of heart, and the jam is red hawt
tela- wow, nice. page and trey sound great trading licks until trey just busts through and kicks ass
punch- solid version lots of energy
reba- this is where things get stoopid.  early sections are tight and smooth, but then they get silly and reba enters the next level and the hairs on my arm are standing straightup and i am at a loss. wow oh wow. i could still hear this playing in my head when i was at work.  serious jamming, the band is turning on a dime, and then terrific peak after peak
strange design- great placement and great song
rift- did they botch the vocals or where there mic problems? humorous take but solid musically and tasty
cavern- time to wrap things up, fish sounds incredible
antelope- icing on the cake much? fish is scatting throughout, and things are spinning widely out of control.  This is the kind of antelope that gets you pulled over because you are doing 70 in a 45 and you dont even know it!!!!

simple- great start, trey hops on the mini kit and things get spacey
bowie- tricked out intro, mike keeps playing this "listen to me" riff, page and trey are spooky, and fish is riding the high-hat before they kick it.  THIS IS NOT YOUR AVERAGE BOWIE- this is Ziggy Stardust on acid.  Twists and turns, tight playing, intense jamming, me losing my shit when Trey starts playing the "heros lament" from star wars around 13min, you know the pivotal scene where Luke's just seen the bodies of his dead aunt and uncle, the twin suns are setting, and he looks up, face resolved, deciding to be a part of the rebel alliance with ol' Ben Kenobi.  Fucking face melted, sign me up for more! And then from there this goes everywhere and it still very cohesive and enjoyable; it's like they cant close it out just riding peak after peak
mango- whew! a chance to catch my breath and settle back down to earth
loving cup- nice hidden placement and pretty rocking
sparkle- red hot and super fast
yem- I dont think I can handle this right now.  My mind is on the floor still in puddles from space bowie and this yem doesnt let up.  Really tight and great jams
acoustic army- cant really hear it so the volume is cranked way up, but it sounds a little different then the acoustic army i saw in redrocks
possum- at this point we need to something really rocking with a chance to just push things along.  trey attempts to be patient and let everyone else have their turns, but he just rips and possum is a hellava ride.

day in the life- damn good closer

Again I say wow.  I havent heard this one yet, but it is amazing.  That Reba was worth the price of admission alone, but everything is rock solid and just kept getting better and better.  A!

G. Augusto

Theme - Trey has some trouble with the ascending riff (my favorite part!) Jam is decent.

Heart - Nice solos by both.

ACDC - I like the jam. Quite spacious and thoughtful. It them becomes ragetastic.

Tela - Jewel of W's F D.

Punch - Fish is a little confused as to what the fuck is going on. As the song progresses, each member has periods of "WTF song is this/"

Reba - This show is known for the Bowie, but it's all about this REba. Really is a Top 10 version. They take it down low ~9 minutes in. Really nice modulation in and out of the standard jam parameters.

Design - Still new.

Rift - Big time fuck up during first few verses. Like, BIG!

Cavern - Closer?...

Antelope - Nope! Fish is having fun with the opening segment. Evil & Awesome.

Simple - I like how the jam spaces out immediately. Finds its way into >>>

Bowie - Short intro. Jam is no nonsense and wastes no time letting you know such. This has the "Summer '95" weirdness vibe to it. They go back to the main jam theme ~13 in but still have almost ten more minutes of weird left in themselves. Very solid version.

Mango - A little squirrely here and there.

Cup - First since 11-04-1994 and 1 of only 4 from the year. Not the strongest vocally nor musically. DEF rustifried.

Sparkle - Knee

YEM - MIke pops up and down yer block to start off the jam. I like the space going into the DnB section, otherwise, this one doesn't do much for me.

Army - Standard Summer '95 fare.

Possum - Killer version with a HUGE stop after one of the peaks. They skip the "Driving down the road" section after the jam and just go straight into the Possum refrain. Very tight.

ADITL - Third time and third time used as an encore. Vocals are a little eh.

A nice snapshot of Summer '95 right here.
I'd give it a B+.
a

Mr Minor

This was my second show and I had a great time.  I also thought it to be an excellent representation of the band during this time period.

Set I:
Theme:  great unexpected opener.  The jam is phenomenal for Theme.  Not a typical Theme jam and after the mediocre vocals they let it rip.

Poor <3: Fish is having a blast and it's seems even a bit faster than normal.

AC/DC:  another good early version.  NOt too many people realized what it was at first, crowd is kind of quiet.  I like Trey's building solo.  Starts off with some cool up and down scale type riffs and then they get going.  LOTS of energy here.  I like it because it's a tight and crazy version.

Tela:  Page does sound a little off at the beginning, but they quickly pick it up.  Page has a great sound during the song.  Nice change from the last song, but keeps the energy going with the jam so they can bust into...

PYITE: solid version, even though it sounds slower in tempo than other versions.  Almost seems like they aren't in communication during the song, but they make it work.

Reba: and here it is, the meat of the show.  Great composed section and then the face-melting begins.  They get a tasty groove going and the band takes off.  Trey sounds great with the spacey dissonance feeling.  Is he teasing something in that jam???  I can't tell but the riff sounds like it should be something... :?  The rest pick it up and they take off.  They bring it around to the peak and hit it perfectly.  I have seen some sweet versions of Reba, but this one was up there with the best.

Strange Design: relaxing moment after everything so far.  

Rift: and right back to it.  Iirc, it wasn't bad mics but missed lyrics.

Cavern: to add to what was already said, it did feel like the end of the set, and they do a solid job with some great energy.  But that's just a build up to the "real" set closer.

Antelope:  Oh yeah, a little something to get you through set break!  Great jam and intensity during the build up.  Things get going and the band is ripping it up!  Such a crazy sounding jam.  Great peak and then a little "rye rye rocco" to send us into the intermission.

Set II:
Simple:  Cool opener.  Didn't go for very long, gets kind of spacey and then goes into the intro to...

Bowie:  Starts out nice and strong.  I LOVE the sound of the jam right after the 6min mark.  That riff that Trey plays that resonates is awesome and then he takes it out there.  Dark and dirty intense jam that builds from the ground up and keeps working.  INTENSITY right to that 12min point where they find the Bowie jam again, but then they go way out again for another 10 minutes!

Mango: second show I saw, second Mango. Love this song for the happy feeling.  Decent version.

Cup: heard better versions.

Sparkle: fun, picking it back up for...

YEM: solid version.  I like the jam, gets going a bit and does a solid job for what it is.

Army: ok, whatever.  Fun to see, but I can move on from it.

Possum: blows it up!  Great version to end the set.  I like the start/stop at the end.  The band is having a blast and you can tell.  Great version that makes me remember how much I like Possum.

Day:  Interesting to hear at the time.  Good encore, but I always thought the vocals were hit or miss on this song.

Agree on the snapshot of Summer '95.  Highlights were Theme opener, Reba, Bowie, and Possum.  The energy at the Creek was great and this was a blast of a show to see.  I still get a good feeling when I listen to it.  I would give it an A-, but the Reba and Bowie blow it up as well as the Possum.

birdman

The rift fuck up was due to a mics. We were standing pretty close and Trey was certainly singing. Page jumped in when he realized what was going on.
Paug FTMFW!

Mr Minor

I couldn't remember.  It looked (from the lawn) that Trey was having issues and had a mental lapse with the lyrics and it caught onto Page for a second. 
Again, wasn't sure, so it makes sense if it was the mics.

blatboom

Set I:

Theme - one of the earliest versions.  has a tentative feel to it, but the jam is nice.  Trey shreds.

Poor Heart - best spot for this song

AC/DC Bag - jam gets hot, steadily picking up steam before it fades nicely into

>Tela - love a Tela.  solid version with a nice Trey solo.

PYITE - I prefer the later Punchs but it's still a great song.  the outro section here is a trainwreck.

Reba - yet another solid Reba.  the jam is typical Reba greatness but in the 9th minute they take a quick detour into something else before the big flourish

Strange Design - played

Rift - Trey's mic must have gone out or something for the first verse and they attempt to recover but the song never really got off the ground because of it

>Cavern - I've never liked how Trey alters his singing to match his guitar at the end of his lines on this number.  this figures to close the set, but lo..

Run Like an Antelope - Antelope double closer is sweet!!  it's a ripper to be sure.  "we'll be back in sixteen minutes"

Set II:

Simple - makes for a good set opener.  short but trippy jam leads into

>Bowie - smokes right out of the box.  the jam is all kinds of trippy.  so much great stuff in many different sections.  show highlight for me.

Mango - not expecting much from this one and it meets my low expectations.  I do love that outro though

Loving Cup - not liking the placement and this is a meh version

Sparkle - set killer

YEM - that's more like it.  tightness ensues and the jam rocks

Acoustic Army - one of many to appear in 95.  I like how they sound but I imagine it got pretty played out

Possum - this is not your average Possum.  the jam is crazy and whether they mean to or not, the last verse is omitted as a result.  killer Possum!

E:

ADITL - cool capper to end the bands debut at Deer Creek

this show was sort of up and down for me.  I liked the AC/DC>Tela and Reba & Antelope from set I a lot.  The Bowie absolutely ruled as did the Possum closer.  the rest of it was just alright to me.  I'll go with a B.

mbw

to start, this is a NICE recording  8-)
again, my first show, though i will try to keep the review about the music this time through rather than my experience

theme - everyone is playing real tight, mike is seriously laying it down in the jam. good opener

poor <3 - extra fun with fish being real vocal

ac/dc - nice, tight jam.  loved the dissolving>tightness nature of it

tela - well played

pyite - a much more slow and mellow version than usual.  unique in that way

reba - it must be fun to be on stage and watch 20 some thousand faces melt simultaneously.  amazing reba here

rift - despite the vocal probs in the beginning, a good, high energy rift

cavern - liked the whoa-a-a part after the first verse, extra fun cavern to close the....

antelope! - fish is again having a good time tonight, yelping it up.  little trouble with the breakdown, but good none the less
                ::predicts the omission/replacement of "spike" in 3.0::

simple - great way to start a set (or show  :wink: ) ok version, short, but melts nicely into

bowie - fish riding his high hat amid some real spacey sounds were my first live phish notes, as we arrived late
           extra spacey, my kind of bowie

mango - rough vocally, ok version

cup - top 3 phish covers for me, had never heard it or the original at the time though

sparkle - i was having fun, thats all i know

yem - nothing too noteworthy about this yem, but i'll take it anytime. the vocal jam really tripped me out cause it was unexpected at the time

army - i like

possum - real mellow beginning, although it does build to a nice frenzy.   nice distorted licks by trey.  impressive sudden stop in the middle of the jam, nailed btw.  back into the mellowness from the beginning and right into the "whoa possum" while skipping "driving down the road"

aditl - nice

i may agree that set I is a little tighter on tape.  however set II i will never forget.  bowie, sparkle, mango and yem were all getting heavy play at the time as i was learning about this band.  aditl was another fav at the time from this other "new" band i was getting into. f'ed up my shiz when they busted it out

thanks for the show, giving it a B+/A-