News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R2/W12: 08-09-1993 Concert Hall (Masonic Temple), Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Started by ytowndan, April 28, 2008, 02:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

One of my favorite shows of this tour, and a great source too.

YEM, Tweezer, Melt, Divided Sky and the Chalk Dust segment have some really great moments. 

Phish
August 9, 1993
Concert Hall (Masonic Temple)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

source:
AKG 460b/ck63 > custom pre-amp > Teac DA-P20 (@ 48 kHz)

transfer:
Tascam DA-20MKII > Tascam HD-P2 > CF card > usb 2.0 > pc > WaveLab 5.01b (de-emphasis, fades, resample to 44.1 kHz, patch) > CD Wave v1.96.1 > FLAC v1.2.0 (Level 8)

FLAC tags added with metaflac v1.2.0

recorded by Tom McMinn
transferred by Jason Sobel (jasonsobel@gmail.com)
seeded September 18, 2007

notes:
The original DAT recording was made with pre-emphasis.
The Waves Q10 Paragraphic EQ v5.0 plug-in was used to de-emphasize the recording.
The original 48 kHz .wav files from the DAT transfer have been archived, and are available upon request.
Big thanks to Dave Flaschner for letting me borrow his DAT tape!

Disc 1 - [66:16]
Set I
01 - [03:52] - Chalk Dust Torture ->
02 - [00:59] - Who Knows Jam ->
03 - [02:02] - Chalk Dust Torture
04 - [05:50] - Mound
05 - [06:10] - Fee ->
06 - [13:12] - Split Open and Melt ->
07 - [05:58] - Glide *
08 - [02:45] - Nellie Kane
09 - [14:29] - The Divided Sky
10 - [00:51] - Memories
11 - [10:08] - The Squirming Coil

Disc 2 - [73:49]
Set II
01 - [03:54] - Dinner and a Movie >
02 - [13:19] - Tweezer >
03 - [07:13] - Tela ->
04 - [06:45] - My Friend My Friend
05 - [02:21] - My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own
06 - [22:42] - You Enjoy Myself ** ->
07 - [06:28] - Contact
08 - [06:37] - Crimes of the Mind ***
09 - [01:26] - encore break
10 - [03:03] - Rocky Top

* Glide included Simpsons, All Fall Down, and Random Note Signals.
** YEM included Smoke on the Water teases in the jam segment and Psycho Killer in the vocal jam.
*** with the Dude of Life on vocals

tech notes:
there was a drop-out on the DAT during My Friend My Friend from [02:22] to [02:23]
that drop-out was patched with the previously circulated version of the Tom's source:
http://db.etree.org/shn/6767

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHNtool output:

length     expanded size   cdr  WAVE problems filename
     3:51.63       40896620    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d1t01.flac
     0:58.42       10330028    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d1t02.flac
     2:01.63       21492620    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d1t03.flac
     5:50.16       61777676    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d1t04.flac
     6:10.28       65333900    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d1t05.flac
    13:11.68      139692380    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d1t06.flac
     5:58.23       63205340    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d1t07.flac
     2:45.15       29141324    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d1t08.flac
    14:28.53      153239900    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d1t09.flac
     0:50.50        8937644    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d1t10.flac
    10:08.29      107319452    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d1t11.flac
     3:54.19       41322332    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d2t01.flac
    13:18.43      140868380    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d2t02.flac
     7:13.21       76430636    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d2t03.flac
     6:45.08       71460860    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d2t04.flac
     2:20.67       24853628    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d2t05.flac
    22:42.27      240320348    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d2t06.flac
     6:28.04       68452652    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d2t07.flac
     6:37.33       70108460    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d2t08.flac
     1:26.10       15193964    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d2t09.flac
     3:02.69       32267132    ---   --   ---xx   ph1993-08-09d2t10.flac
   140:05.01     1482645276 B                     (totals for 21 files, 0.5470 overall compression ratio)

Lossy Set 1:  http://www.sendspace.com/file/v566nr

Lossy Set 2:  http://www.sendspace.com/file/4gzqtj

Lossless to come later this afternoon. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Hicks

Nice, this is one of my favorites, it somehow gets lost in the Aug 93 shuffle but it is the heat!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

G. Augusto

Can't go wrong with an Aug '93...

Chalk-Ripping version with a "Who Knows" jam. Nice segue back into Chalkdust.

Mound/Fee-Both played well.

Split-Very sweet version with a trippy ending. Cool segue into >

Glide-Megaphone perhaps? Bunch SL (Simpsons/AFD/Random Note)

Nellie/Sky-Having fun with the composed sections of Sky. Some Nellie Kand teases in there, too.

Memories/Coil-NIce Page solo to close it out.

Dinner-False start and kinda beat up by Trey.

Tweezer-Bomb Version. Almost has a DWD-like feel to the jam. Really good stuff.

Tela-I'd hit it.

MFMF-Trippy outro...

My Mind-GAMOIO

YEM-Composed section a little messed up. My Mind tease by Mike. Killer jam with a Speed Racer vs. Smoke on the Water jam section. Little megaphone action by Trey and some Psycho Killer teases in the extended vocal jam. Buttery smoove segue from the VJ into >

Contact-AKA "The Tires Song"

Crimes-I like the Dude. And I like this album. Get Fucked.

Rockytop-TN

Great show/pick.
I give it a solid A.
a

pnchundi

ytowndan

Quote from: pnchundi on May 01, 2008, 08:43:05 AM
Wheres my heady lossless connect? I am back!

I'm having a real tough time with etree.  The torrent is ready (and seeding) in my uTorrent, I just have to get etree to work, and we'll be up.

sophist

I'll preface my review by stating that I had never heard this show before, and I don't know how I missed it all these years.  So props to ytowndan for introducing me to a new show.   :clap:
Set I
Chalk Dust Torture -> Who Knows Jam -> Chalk Dust Torture
Mound,
Fee ->
Split Open and Melt ->
Glide,
Nellie Kane,
The Divided Sky,
Memories,
The Squirming Coil
Hell of a way to start the show with the Chalk Dust sandwich, as it smokes.  Nice solo by Trey in the Chalkdust jam.  The segue in the sandwich is flawless.  Mound is a good choice to follow this opener.  They nail it too.  I always thought the introduction to this song was difficult to play live, so I appreciate it when the boys do nail it.  Fee is standard but played well and has a nifty segue into SOAM.  This SOAM smokes like a mother fucker.  Like August pointed out, it has a very psychedelic feel to it towards the end of the jam.  The segue into Glide is also flawless, and really cool.  I love those type of segues, but I'm not a big fan of Glide.  However, the segue makes up for it.  Nellie Kane is well placed, and always a fun treat to hear.  Divided Sky is nailed and does contain some Nellie Kane teases like August pointed out.  Sweet version of Sky.  I really like Trey's tone in this version.  Memories is a rare treat, and I liked it.  Coil was a nice closer for this set, and some nice work by Page.  I give the first set an A.     

Set II
Dinner and a Movie >
Tweezer >
Tela ->
My Friend My Friend,
My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own,
You Enjoy Myself ->
Contact,
Crimes of the Mind,

encore:
Rocky Top

* Glide included Simpsons, All Fall Down, and Random Note Signals.
** YEM included Smoke on the Water teases in the jam segment and Psycho Killer in the vocal jam.
*** with the Dude of Life on vocals

After a quick piss break.  I jumped right into set II.  Tight Dinner & Movie opener to start the set.  I really love the compositional parts of this song, and a tight version always brings a grin to my face.  This version delivers and segues into Tweezer.  This Tweezer is a straight rager, and it will melt your face (Highlight alert).  Trey soars in the jam, and page comps nicely.  Nifty segue into Tela (the segue is the heat imo).  Nice version and I like the placement of Tweezer -> Tela.  I like the key change and tempo change of this arrangement.  Another good segue into MFMF.  Sick version indeed.  Crazy outro that I had to listen to again.  I couldn't really wrap my brain around it the first time, so it required two listens.  MMGAMOIO is standard, but well placed.  Nice break from the psychedelic shreddage.  YEM follows.  The composed section is a bit rough, which surprised me for a 93 version.  However, they bring the heat for the instrumental jam and the vocal jam.  I really liked the psycho killer teases in the vocal jam, which lead to a killer segue into Contact (aka piss break  :wink: ).  Crimes of the mind follows and the Dude takes the stage.  Cool guest appearance and nice version, great way to end the set.  Nice encore choice.  I've always liked rocky top.  I'd give the second set an A as well. 

Overall, this show gets a solid A.  Great Pick.  Bring on week III!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!         
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

khalpin

Haven't heard this one in a while.  I don't really remember it.

Chalkdust>Who Knows>Chalkdust: The Who Knows jam certainly makes this version unique, although I've never heard the original and have no idea who did it originally.  Otherwise, it's prety standard.  A bit short.

Mound: Nice, tight version.

Fee: standard, with some lyric flubs, interesting segue into:

SOaM: Cool jam section, with staccato chords by Trey going on for a couple minutes.  Nothing like a little dissonance to get you going.  Slowly builds into a hot jam.  Not my favorite finish, but the middle six or seven minutes were pretty awesome.  Segues into:

Glide: Very fast version.  Not quite sure what happened there during the tri-tone section.  Equipment problems for Trey?

Nellie: standard

Divided Sky: Not the tightest version to start out with.  Nellie Kane teases.  Good jam section, though.

Memories: Meh

Squirming Coil: Good set closer.

I give the first set a solid B, with Split Open and Melt being the clear highlight.  The rest of the songs were good, but not great.  Set two after lunch....

khalpin

Dinner & a Movie: false start due to low volume on Trey's guitar.  Nice to hear this one.  Although, Trey got a little lost in the middle there.  Right into:

Tweezer: Fantastic.  Face melter.  Especially the return back into the Tweezer jam.  Definite adrenaline rush.

Tela: Always love to hear this one.

MFMF: Like the intro. Another one I always love to hear.

MMGOMOIO: Nice change of pace.

YEM: Mike teases Nellie Kane again 2 or 3 times.  Interesting tramps segment with lots of string bending by Trey & Mike.  Then it just gets crazy with whole Speed Racer thing.  (Was this on KShapiro's Live Phish 5th Anniv. webcast?  I could swear I just heard this YEM recently)  Then the dreaded vocal jam.

Contact: Interesting intro.  I definitely remember this, too.  Maybe I did listen to this show recently.  Good jam section, ableit too short.  Page sounds like he's quoting Professor Longhair in the beginning...maybe not. 

Crimes of the Mind: Not a fan.

Rocky Top: Love this as an encore.

This set definitely gets a solid A, with Tweezer being the highlight.  The whole show I'd give an A-/A. 

ytowndan

Ok.  I just hopped back on Jason's old seed.  Since this show has been seeded in the last 6 months. 

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=509753

jasonsobel

Quote from: ytowndan on May 02, 2008, 08:55:36 PM

Ok.  I just hopped back on Jason's old seed.  Since this show has been seeded in the last 6 months. 

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=509753

I just hopped back on this torrent to help seed as well :)
sing me back home before I die

Hicks

First off, I don't have Jason's xfer of this, but the old one sounds frickin' incredible!  I am sure the fresh xfer sounds just as good if not better.  Fish and Mike especially come through so clearly and beefy, if you are reading this and haven't d/l'd it yet either do so now or just get it over with and chug some drano. 

Chalkdust>Who Knows>Chalkdust:  Without a doubt one of my favorite versions ever of Chalkdust, the segue into Who Knows is buttery goodness and the segue out of it is no joke either.  Yeah! 

Mound: standard/great version

Fee: Cool quirky/atypical jam at the end, this song is the perfect springtime driving soundtrack btw, nice segue into:

SOAM:  Awesome version, Trey comes up with a very melodic variation of the Split theme right off the bat, then comes up with another tasty riff around the 8:00 minute mark, Fish starts slowing things down around the 10 minute mark which leads into a long fade out jam, you can tell the boys are really having fun with their newest jam vehicle here, decent segue into. . .

Glide:  Amusingly stretched out ending with secret language that distinguish this version.

Divided Sky:  Nice improv before the quiet segment, all around great version, nice sustain by Trey.

Squirming Coil:  Pretty much nailed, nice transition into the Page segment with Trey and Mike hanging around a bit longer than usual. 

Overall an A set, Chalkdust and SOAM being the standouts, sexy time! 

Dinner and a Movie:  As noted, kinda f'd.

Tweezer:  Sweet version, the beginning part of the jam has a Tweeprise feel to it.  Then things get dissonant with some staccato action, which is kind of a theme to this show most of the big jams go to that single note place pretty quickly before slickly heading back to the composition and this one is no exception, the return to the Tweezer theme is especially slick.  Nice segue into. . .

Tela:  Only version of the summer.  Fun fact: did you know that Tela was actually played more times in 94 and 95 than in 93?  Probably because they were playing Silent in the Morning almost every other show in 93 and FEFY was getting quite a bit of play too. 

MFMF:  Fairly standard until the weird ending, continuing the playfulness of this show, another version that feels special because of some choices that differentiate it from the norm. 

YEM:  great version, the Smoke on the Water/Speed Racer teases (Phish do their part to promote the upcoming film! :wink:) are fun.  The vocal jam was really long, my wife filed her divorce papers in the midst of it, but it was totally worth it!  Another interesting segue into. . .

Contact: Page plays around at the beginning, wanted to hear the clav. but still a good version.

Crimes of the Mind:  Anyone else wish Phish had played this from time to time without the Dude?  It's actually a good song but his vocals are pretty painful. 

Overall an absolutely great show with a lot of "out of the box" playing that elevates the tunes from their usual forms.  I give it an A/A+ probably more towards the solid A side of the spectrum but the recording quality, the looseness/fun factor and themes of dissonance and improv in unexpected places make me compelled to give this one bonus points.  This one still gets my vote for most underrated of the month.  Sweet pick Dan!

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

pnchundi

i dont know what happened to etree (other than the rumors of course) but i couldnt logon all weekend.  i will d/l this as soon as they are up and running!

Caravan2001

Awesome pick Dan- a rager from start to finish.  I caught a bunch of shows on this tour, but missed this one.  Super hot show.

Chalkdust->Who Knows->Chaldust--burning jams, high energy and great transitions make this a tasty sandwich.  Sets the tone for the set.

Mound-Good version.  My wife doesn't like Mound, I do.  Opposites attract.

Fee- good.  Really love the ending here...mellow and trippy.

Split Open- the end of this reminds me of the ending of Fee...really slow, drippy and drawn out, in a good way.  Xtra dope.

Glide- I don't really like Glide, but this is a great version.  Mike is fat on this.

Nellie Kane- I'll take it....

D.Sky- excellent version.  Aren't all Summer 93 versions epic?  This is not 8/20, but still the shit.  I dig the Nellie Cane teases, they're smoove....

Memories- next....

Coil- I liked this tune at one time.....by summer '93, I was kind of over it, but a nice first set closer. well played.

Dinner and Movie- BCS (botch central station)

Tweezer- tight and sweet.  Fish is great on this.  What are they teasing during this?  Sumthin....

Tela-  I never realized what a common pairing this was back then.  Tweezer-Tela....good version, nothing insane here.

MFMF- always liked the acoustic intro. Good version here.....decent jamming toward the end, nice vocal interplay at the end. Nice Mike too....

MMGAMOIO- time to pee...

YEM-  Smoke on da water.  Excellent version, cool vocal jam.  Everyone shines here.  A highlight for sure.

Contact-  I LOVE the tranny into this.  IMO, one of the most psychedelic songs in the canon.  Sick.  Mike roolz.  So does Page on this.

Crimes- one of the better version out there.  I actually like this one.

Rocky Top-  where's the Tweeprise after this?  If they play Rocky Top, Tweeprise is a given right?  Maybe not in Canada eh?

Killer pick Dan! Solid A, I could listen to this whole show consistently and still dig it.  Very well played.