News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The First Debate

Started by cactusfan, September 26, 2008, 01:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

I liked the drinking game.

I liked how drunk it got me.

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 26, 2008, 10:47:51 PM
I liked the drinking game.

I liked how drunk it got me.

What were the rules to said drinking game?   :-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

rowjimmy

Ri©h

Quote from: susep73 on September 26, 2008, 10:46:19 PM
I like how McCain rode the alternative energy idea without going into specifics.  And then said he wanted to build 45 new Nuclear reactors.  wtf? 

While 45 is an obscene number, nuclear energy is a noble idea.  It's a hell of a lot cleaner than coal.

Poster Nutbag

I know I'm a little late with this but....
[/quote]
QuotePresident George W. Bush joins Arizona Senator John McCain in a small celebration of McCain's 69th birthday Monday, Aug. 29, 2005, after the President's arrival at Luke Air Force Base near Phoenix. The President later spoke about Medicare to 400 guests at the Pueblo El Mirage RV Resort and Country Club in nearby El Mirage. White House photo by Paul Morse
QuoteAug. 25, 6:30pm  Katrina hits Florida (Cat 1).

Aug. 28, 12:30pm  Bush was warned "...whether the levees will be topped or not, that's obviously a very, very grave concern." Asked no questions.

Aug. 28  Mayor Nagin tells CNN "as soon as the levee systems are breached, there will be a tremendous amount of water, anywhere from 15 to 20 feet of water in some parts of New Orleans." Orders mandatory evacuation.

Aug. 29, 6:10am  Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans.

Aug. 29, 8am  Levees Overtopped.

Aug. 29, 9:12am  National weather service gets report of levee breach.

Aug. 29, 11am  After McCain birthday, Bush talks at El Mirage RV park, AZ.

Aug. 29, 12pm  Bush misses video briefing on Katrina.
OK!!! MR. McCain rushes to help in a crises, unless its his birthday..
Then its time for cake...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 26, 2008, 11:22:32 PM
http://davethenovelist.wordpress.com/2008/09/25/presidential-debate-drinking-game/

I would have been drunk within the first 5 minutes

I thought Obama cleaned up on the economy
On foreign policy, it was close. I think McCain made his points better (although I agree more with Obama's views)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

bluecaravan521

Reflections/Reactions?  I thought it was okay. Both candidates did a good job, balancing the little zingers with actual discussion, however they strayed so far from some of the questions...I suppose the problem is that they are dealing with such dynamic issues that it would be silly to make concrete plans.

In regards to the discussion on the first page about what Obama has actually done, let me give you some numbers to think about:

820, 427, 152

820- number of bills Obama sponsored that became law in Illinois State legislature.

427- number of bills Obama has sponsored in US Senate

152- number of bills Obama has authored in US Senate

For all the years he lacks in politics, it's hard to make the argument that he hasn't done anything in the time he's been there.   I think every Obama supporter should have those numbers memorized, they come in very handy.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

gah

I think it went pretty good. I think both sides made valid arguments, and luckily stuck for the most part to the topics as presented by the moderator. I agree with bvaz, that both sides could find a way to argue that their side had "won".

Politeness aside, can McCain try any harder to pull at the heartstrings of Joe Shmo? Seriously, right off the bat with the Ted Kennedy comment? Using fear tactics from the beginning with the economic questions? Name dropping, Kennedy, Clinton, Kissinger...BTW, Senator, probably not a good idea to bring up spending $3Mil in Montana on the study of wolf DNA or whatever it was, when your VP spent that $3.3 Mil to study seal genetics.

I'll give McCain one good jab, in talking about Obama's liberal voting record...that was "It's hard to reach over from that far to the left". But gotta love Obama's response that It may olny seem that way when I've had to vote against these "wrong headed Bush policies." Wonderful.

Also, speaking of the President needing to be prudent in what he states concerning foreign policies, probably not a good idea wio sing songs about bombing Iran.  :clap:

What was McCain even talking about when he brought up South Koreans being 3 inches taller than North Koreans?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mattstick

He really muddled that "Bear DNA" joke.  He's not exactly standing on solid ground there as Palin has funded similar projects in Alaska.

It's about time someone said something about "singing songs about bombing Iran".  And when did Pakistan become a rogue nation?

Finally, McCain even had a little bit of that Bush "sneer and giggle", which looks downright sophomoric next to Obama.

gah

What it comes down to is they have two very different world views. McCain approaches everything with attitude that everyone is evil and we need to fight and beat people into submission, understandable, the guy was a POW for goodness sake and I am sure it has affected his world view. Obama's view is diplomacy must be used first, this is not naive, it is taking a cautious, well thought out approach before putting our troops in the line of fire. I loved the bracelet crap McCain tried to pull, and Obama's like, and? I've got one too. And the looks on McCains face at that moment was priceless, like damn it, he's got one too. Shit.

Also, it was almost as if McCain wasn't even listening to what Obama was saying. He repeatedly talked about opening talks with Iran, but McCain kept making it out like Obama wanted to sit across from Ahmadinejad and have a cup of tea. His goofy laugh and ridiculous smile was a little too Bush like as well. Note he not once looked Obama in the eye or even looked in his direction. You are right, sophomoric is the only way to describe his behavior. And he really seemed to be losing his cool there at the end. But I almost wish Obama had pulled some more punches, he could have really nailed him at some points, sometimes I think he stays a little too calm and collected. But hey, I'd rather that in a president than someone that's going to fly off the handle.

tet

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 27, 2008, 10:53:45 AM
What it comes down to is they have two very different world views. McCain approaches everything with attitude that everyone is evil and we need to fight and beat people into submission, understandable, the guy was a POW for goodness sake and I am sure it has affected his world view. Obama's view is diplomacy must be used first, this is not naive, it is taking a cautious, well thought out approach before putting our troops in the line of fire. I loved the bracelet crap McCain tried to pull, and Obama's like, and? I've got one too. And the looks on McCains face at that moment was priceless, like damn it, he's got one too. Shit.

Also, it was almost as if McCain wasn't even listening to what Obama was saying. He repeatedly talked about opening talks with Iran, but McCain kept making it out like Obama wanted to sit across from Ahmadinejad and have a cup of tea. His goofy laugh and ridiculous smile was a little too Bush like as well. Note he not once looked Obama in the eye or even looked in his direction. You are right, sophomoric is the only way to describe his behavior. And he really seemed to be losing his cool there at the end. But I almost wish Obama had pulled some more punches, he could have really nailed him at some points, sometimes I think he stays a little too calm and collected. But hey, I'd rather that in a president than someone that's going to fly off the handle.

THIS
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jedifunk

wait... did we win?  USA USA
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Declan

QuoteI looked into Putin's eyes, and what I saw was three things... a K, a G, and a B - John McCain
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

gah

Quote from: Declan on September 27, 2008, 01:39:12 PM
QuoteI looked into Putin's eyes, and what I saw was three things... a K, a G, and a B - John McCain

Oh yeah, I was cracking up at that one too!

Poster Nutbag

well I don't know about you guy's but I'm gonna vote for the guy they call the "Maverick" or the "Sheriff" cause you know he's cool...I wonder if he'll walk around with a six-shooter around his waste...

or should we just call him...

Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ