News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Interview Thread

Started by redrum, January 02, 2009, 10:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrum

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 23, 2009, 07:35:49 PM
i can't believe i just clicked that  :|   :wtu:

it made me think of sex.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

shoreline99

Quote from: redrum on September 23, 2009, 07:53:25 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 23, 2009, 07:35:49 PM
i can't believe i just clicked that  :|   :wtu:

it made me think of sex.

that interview was horrible (hahahahahahah - seriously, come down here and we'll sing some britney spears songs)
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

guyforget

-AD_

messengerbird

Wow, surprised it took this long for this interview to get out. We were sitting with Jeff at Star Lake the night before. He was saying he had to get to Deer Creek for the interview the next day. Was expecting to see it around the time of Alpine.
Central part of town, I'm going down

Quote from: Phishy69 on January 05, 2010, 11:12:04 PM
A match made in Gamehenge  :-D

kellerb

Quote from: messengerbird on October 02, 2009, 04:14:06 PM
Wow, surprised it took this long for this interview to get out. We were sitting with Jeff at Star Lake the night before. He was saying he had to get to Deer Creek for the interview the next day. Was expecting to see it around the time of Alpine.

lol, I think I commented on a facebook pic of you guys & him...His lights destroyed at the umph show last night.

WhatstheUse?

Trey interview, second track down in the audio section:

http://www.1019rxp.com/pinfield/
Bring in the dude!

redrum

Phish - full band interview
(after Billy Breathes i think)

Modern Rock Live Interview:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ytzzzzmtyuz

nitrous influenced

---

redrum

not exactly an interview, but a lot of quotes from the band:

QuoteMOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – Phish and crew bustle about Shoreline Amphitheater's backstage area, a sprawling patio where memories linger of raging parties from bygone tours.

Hours before a recent show, the scene is markedly different. Voices and footfalls carry across the expanse of empty picnic tables. A baby stroller clatters across wooden planks. As afternoon slants into evening, a ruckus finally kicks up: The clip-clop of a pingpong game between Trey Anastasio and his teenage daughter.

"Fifteen-love," says the Phish guitarist.

To understand why the touring jamband juggernaut broke up for nearly four years — only to resurface with a stunning depth of clarity in live performance, its strongest album yet and an ambitious festival slated for this weekend — measure this family centered serenity against the colossal traveling party they left behind.

"We used to have a lot of people hanging around, and it was a crazy scene backstage — CRAZY," Anastasio says later, between sips of tea. "I remember being here, a number of times, and you couldn't get through. There were literally hundreds of people, all the time. Everywhere."

The scene was a symptom of a lifestyle the members of Phish knew they couldn't sustain. So after 20 years on the road together, they staged a farewell blowout in Coventry, Vt., in 2004, their seventh massive festival. It began with a freakish downpour and ended with the emotionally shattered band flubbing and struggling to say goodbye. More than four years after the split, Phish roared back to life in March with an electrifying three-night reunion stint in Hampton, Va., followed up with a summer tour chock full of bootleg-worthy shows.

Their new album, "Joy," released last month, was critically lauded for its musical and lyrical maturity and refreshed, live-show inspired sound. And on Friday, Phish completes its comeback victory lap with the kickoff of Festival 8, a three-night marathon of sets in Indio, Calif., on the same grounds where the Coachella music festival is held. A fall tour will follow.

While it would seem Phish back at full blast could risk relapse into old habits, the band agreed on a number of changes that have made their rebirth possible. For one, the number of dates the band plays has been scaled back; for another, the members have kept their pact to put families first, even on the road.

That means lots of kids backstage — seven in the Phish family so far, most of them on tour — and not so much the hundreds of hangers-on who had snowballed out of control through the years. As Anastasio likes to point out, there were 3,500 people on the guest list at their "farewell" show in 2004. At the reunion show this year, there were 10 — "and seven of them were under the age of 13."

"It's just a very nice vibe," says bassist Mike Gordon. "And the music has been feeling really good as a result. I had no idea whether removing the party element would make it sterile or something — but the opposite happened, where it feels like we have extra consciousness left over to jam harder. It feels like a great era — it's the beginning of the rest, like we're in it for the long haul again."

For his part, keyboardist Page McConnell says he'd always figured that Phish would take up the cause anew, and spent his off-time well to that end: Serious study of classical piano and a solo album built extra muscle behind his chops, giving the band more balance through which to hear complex interplay in the middle register.

"I thought, well, I don't want to come back a little bit staler — I'd like to come back better," McConnell says. "But I really feel it from all of us; the way we're listening to each other, and the way we're communicating, we really make each other sound good."

Working with a vocal coach has also borne fruit for Anastasio and Gordon: On "Joy," the quirky, isn't-this-silly singing style has been all but abandoned. It's probably no coincidence that "Billy Breathes," another vocally strong and widely cherished Phish studio recording from 1996, was also produced by Steve Lillywhite.

"I told them, 'Look - this record is your first in a few years, you're all in a good space ... you just need to be YOU,'" he recalls. "I really felt like this was a new band. They were very relaxed, and I think one of the reasons was, they have these memories of the 'Billy Breathes' sessions, of me just coming in and taking a great weight off their shoulders."

Whatever the reason, everything about Phish feels lighter this time around. Even the selection of the Empire Polo Fields for Festival 8 was made in part to ease the usual traffic- and weather-related headaches that have plagued Phish festivals past: The Coachella site is cool and dry in October, there's plenty of lodging nearby, and there are plenty of roads leading in.

Perhaps the most pressure for Phish will be pulling off their Halloween "costume" surprise, a tradition of covering a classic album by another artist on Halloween night (Anastasio was understandably cagey about his choice — but "Thriller" was notably still in the running, according to a process-of-elimination interactive on the band's Web site.) Whatever they decide to do, Anastasio says, it'll be more fun than the last time.

"It IS more fun. It's SO much more fun. And it's hard to believe that, because it was really fun for quite some time. But ... it's fun to let all go, and just kind of ride the wave again."

---

redrum

tom marshall

QuoteWhat was it like to reunite with Trey, to write again, and did that begin when you sent what would become the lyrics to "Backwards Down the Number Line" to him on his birthday, September 30, 2007?

It really did. That was it, really. I was estranged from him because the program he was in didn't allow for a whole lot of communication. For many reasons, his family and others were sort of shielding information about him, even from those who thought they were pretty close to him. Part of that is the old...you know...if you're starting a whole, new life, and a whole new lifestyle, you do have to give up some of the old stuff. I think, maybe, for a while there, I was considered part of the old stuff. (laughs) I didn't want to be because I didn't really have a whole lot to do with the bad stuff happening, and Trey realized that and recognized that, so I was put on some sort of approved list.

Prior to that, to break the silence, I got a hold of an e-mail address from him, just by talking to his Dad. Out of the blue, I realized it was his birthday. I reached across the gap of not knowing really what was up with him with that e-mail. Literally, it was a birthday wish. It was funny because he called back so fast. First, he wrote back, "Oh my God!" within two hours. I was like, "What does that mean?" (laughter)

Maybe three, four hours after I sent the e-mail, he played me the song. He called me, and he was laughing. He played me the song, and said, "Oh my God! This is so perfect. It just fell together so quickly." I listened to it, and it's just amazing. I have that version, and I want it to come out, and be made public. It's so good. It's so full of energy. The Phish version on Joy is amazing. I love it. But that very first one—there's something that's incredibly crispy and magical and wonderful about it.

Was it an acoustic version?

No. When Trey was living in Saratoga Springs [upstate New York], he had a nice

little mini-version of his studio, which he calls Rubber Jungle, in his apartment there, so

he was able to do full recordings.

From there, did he say that he was ready to start writing songs with you again?

Yeah, it took a while actually. That broke the ice, and then there was sort of a process. It, literally, was like...I don't think anyone ever mentioned an approved list, but I sort of had that feeling: "Who can he talk to?" It was very strict at first—"Who can't he talk to." That settled in, and he began to know how to handle his appointments. He had a very rigorous daily schedule of meetings. Finally, he got a handle on that, and invited me up. After "Backwards Down the Numbers Line," he wanted to start writing.

I came up there. He would have to make some appointments, and I would sit there in his place, but we just realized that we still had it. We had not written for three, four years, and it was just great. It was a reawakening—not even a reawakening, so much as a realization that we could still do this. It's almost easier now because there's not this sort of weird haze surrounding Trey, or between us, or whatever.

It was wonderful. I put pen to paper, again, and started typing lyrics. I went up there with the whole ream of things again. I realized that we had gotten older. Our style has changed and yet, we're still laughing like the old days. It was a lot of fun, and we wrote a lot of songs. Even though seven songs I co-wrote got on Joy, I think we wrote about 20 songs.

continue'd here -->

http://www.jambands.com/features/2009/11/03/ode-to-joy-the-tom-marshall-interview

---

mehead

good read..thanks..as I stated in some other thread, it's interesting to read about the choice of Indio becuase of the ease of traffic flow and available lodging...neither of those exist in or around Limestone..so as far as future festival sites...........
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

redrum

Quote from: mehead on November 04, 2009, 05:09:40 PM
good read..thanks..

interesting connection in Joy/Scarlet Begonias.
i never woulda put that together.

---

rowjimmy

Mr Minor

Great reads!  Thanks.  Love hearing Tom explain things and seeing them having fun and laughing about the songs and the process.

StCarl

From the olden days.  If you haven't seen this, Kalamazoo community access television show interviews Phish June 19, 1994.   
[tip: both parts have the same 1:25 intro]

http://www.youtube.com/v/5hLiaWEt92Y&hl=en&fs=1&

http://www.youtube.com/v/Lhkr8aCBqCo&hl=en&fs=1&

Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

mbw

going through some discs today, i realized that this little tidbit is rare.
an interview from 07/03/98 Midtfyns Festival with trey, mike, and mark wahlberg's dannish doppelgänger along with performances of beauty of my dreams and sample in a jar.

things go bad when trey mentions how much oasis sucks  :lol:

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/v/hcK4rXuL-GE&hl=en_US&fs=1&

http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwz_3VYXCuY&hl=en_US&fs=1&