News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

I went with a Drobo and haven't looked back... it's a bit of a pain to keep the iTunes library there because then it's not as easily accessible when I travel, but all of my SHNs/FLACs are stored there, and it's super easy to add additional storage or replace failing drives at any time.  They have USB 3 or Thunderbolt versions, but also ones with just Ethernet if you want to run a pure, headless NAS.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VDB

I ended up ordering a USB 3 / FW 800 dual drive enclosure. It'll plug into the iMac for media-serving purposes. If I need to play stuff on another Mac I can use Home Sharing, so doing an NAS seemed unnecessary. And rather than be locked into RAID I'll just set a schedule to periodically clone one drive to the other for backup purposes.
Is this still Wombat?

barnesy305

So I have desktop Mac and I haven't used any torrent sites with it yet. Is utorrent and what.cd safe to use with it? Just don't wanna fuck up a brand new machine thanks guys. 

tet

Don't use uTorrent, they've got some weird spyware shit going on.  My normal go-to would have been Transmission, as it's slick and has always been really fast, but they also had a very strange infection thing going on the past few months, so just grab Deluge as it's pretty safe and works well enough:  http://deluge-torrent.org 

No problems with what.cd that I'm aware of, so that shouldn't be an issue...
-Phish

ph92

Quote from: barnesy305 on September 15, 2016, 11:15:25 PM
So I have desktop Mac and I haven't used any torrent sites with it yet. Is utorrent and what.cd safe to use with it? Just don't wanna fuck up a brand new machine thanks guys. 
Check their white list clients page. I personally love utorrent 3.2.1. Transmission and deluge are both great too. But definitely check which versions are okay with what.cd. I pretty much hate new version of all torrent clients. They keep adding too many features. I like like 3.2.1 for that reason. The best streamlined but fully featured (from a utility standpoint, not bloat) version. But iirc transmission is the go to for mac. I know it is for linux which mac is very similar to
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

mattstick

I use qBittorrent these days...

tet

Quote from: ph92 on September 16, 2016, 12:25:28 AM
Check their white list clients page. I personally love utorrent 3.2.1. Transmission and deluge are both great too. But definitely check which versions are okay with what.cd. I pretty much hate new version of all torrent clients. They keep adding too many features. I like like 3.2.1 for that reason. The best streamlined but fully featured (from a utility standpoint, not bloat) version. But iirc transmission is the go to for mac. I know it is for linux which mac is very similar to

Transmission has been infected with viruses twice in the past 6 months, so that is why I am hesitant to suggest it.  They have apparently corrected it once again, but there were some really shady things going on with it for a while... 
-Phish

ph92

Quote from: tet on September 16, 2016, 10:34:27 AM
Quote from: ph92 on September 16, 2016, 12:25:28 AM

Transmission has been infected with viruses twice in the past 6 months, so that is why I am hesitant to suggest it.  They have apparently corrected it once again, but there were some really shady things going on with it for a while... 
Ah I see, I know that's the kind of stuff that makes or breaks a version on the what.cd whitelist. Deluge is what I use when I have CLI seedbox/torrent machine going. Deluge has the easiest setup in CLI, very simplistic and powerful!
Make America Melt Again!

barnesy305

VDB

I just accidentally discovered that if you press the up or down arrows while pressing CMD-Tab (to switch between open apps), it'll show you just the windows open in the application icon that you've toggled to.

So that's neat.
Is this still Wombat?

ph92

QuoteYes I have a New MacBook Pro, where to go from here...

I guess not be able to use your USB devices without a dongle...

Or buy a second pair of headphones cause your lighning cable ones don't work...

Take out a loan to buy dongles...

On the plus side, there's a neat app control bar at the top of your keyboard.

I do have to admit, though, they do look nice aesthetically
Make America Melt Again!

VDB

Apple is taking a lot of flack over the new MacBook Pros, and very rightly so (in my opinion). Here's a good roundup of some reactions, if you're interested.

Suffice it to say, I'll be hanging on to my mid-2012 workhorse as long as possible.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

Interesting
I just got a MBP in June and had it customized to 16 mb of RAM and 1 tb of HD. Glad I did.

I have been using Pages, Numbers, and Keynote - I like them better than the Office versions.  I may switch back just in case...
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

aphineday

Just snagged a new MBP. First since 2011(!).
Went with the 13" this time, touch bar, etc. Just getting a moment to kind of test drive it right now. The keyboard is slick, but will take some getting used to for me here moving down in size from the behemoth 17" I had previously. I really needed something much more compact to carry around with me as I work, so I decided on this.
Just figured this thread could really use a bump, and I needed to type something to attempt to familiarize myself with the more compact layout.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

emay

Keynote had some good stuff.

New iwatch you can make calls without the phone thats pretty big.
Wasn't too impressed with the iPhone 8 or 8+. They look like the Androids with the now full curved screen. iPhone X looks pretty cool but 1,000 bucks...cant afford that one.
Taking away the home button is interesting, kinda saw that coming.
The personal facial expression emojis is creepy
wireless charging is nice addition. Need that on the magic mouse 2