News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

Awesome!  Good job, Matt.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

G. Augusto

fauxpaxfauxreal

good job mattstick.  you will destroy the fucking marathon.

sls.stormyrider

nice
sounds like your ready
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

aphineday

Yeah! AWESOME time man! Holy crap, that's awesome! :beers:
Thanks for the merge, looks good!
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

mattstick

Thanks guys - love the support.

A couple of stories:

My photographer buddy Jay came down to shoot me crossing the finish, but I didn't see him as I crossed - he walked up to me within a minute of me crossing the finish line and I was a mess - almost broke down in tears just seeing his face - crazy feeling.  I nearly fell down laughing when he told me he had half a joint if I wanted to puff with him.

At the last minute I added the Scarlet>Fire from 8/1/94 (my first  :syf: show) to my race playlist - great call.  Shivers ran through my body when Jerry started singing Scarlet, then with about 1km to go it was time for Fire... "long distance runner", shivers again.

I tried something I'd never done in a race before, walking through the water stations, taking short (30-40 sec) walk breaks - this really helped me avoid hitting the wall hard, around 22 or 23km I hit the wall but it was more a confidence thing than fatigue.

My time put me 35th out of 140 in my age group, 30-39.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Good job.  The Hartford '83 Scarlet>Fire was a favorite of mine during my short spell as a runner.

GBL

Quote from: mattstick on August 22, 2009, 11:23:40 PM
Thanks guys - love the support.

A couple of stories:

My photographer buddy Jay came down to shoot me crossing the finish, but I didn't see him as I crossed - he walked up to me within a minute of me crossing the finish line and I was a mess - almost broke down in tears just seeing his face - crazy feeling.  I nearly fell down laughing when he told me he had half a joint if I wanted to puff with him.

At the last minute I added the Scarlet>Fire from 8/1/94 (my first  :syf: show) to my race playlist - great call.  Shivers ran through my body when Jerry started singing Scarlet, then with about 1km to go it was time for Fire... "long distance runner", shivers again.

I tried something I'd never done in a race before, walking through the water stations, taking short (30-40 sec) walk breaks - this really helped me avoid hitting the wall hard, around 22 or 23km I hit the wall but it was more a confidence thing than fatigue.

My time put me 35th out of 140 in my age group, 30-39.

Great job, Matt!
If this is love, I'm never going home..

PhishPhan

I'm 26, pretty out of shape. Should I just start as one of the first posts said to?

GBL

Quote from: PhishPhan on August 23, 2009, 01:11:47 AM
I'm 26, pretty out of shape. Should I just start as one of the first posts said to?

Starting is a good start
If this is love, I'm never going home..

mattstick

The only rule is, it begins.

mattstick

Actually, if you're really out of shape - like can't run for 2 minutes, history of heart conditions, etc - it might not be a bad idea to consult your physician.

PhishPhan

I'm not out of shape, like unhealthy. I just have not done any extreme workouts this summer. I guess I'll just hit up the gym and see how far I can go.

flow00

Quote from: mattstick on August 22, 2009, 10:09:39 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna merge the 2 threads and keep your topic.

In other news I set the gearshift for the high gear of my soul Madison 95 style and smoked that 30K - 2:27:30 chip time.

Awesome pic to follow.

Good job, man. You beat your goal by 12 minutes.

aphineday

Quote from: PhishPhan on August 23, 2009, 01:11:47 AM

Yeah, I would say that if you are otherwise healthy dude that your idea of hitting up the gym and just seeing where you go is not a half bad idea. That's pretty much how I started.

Mattstick, that story about puffing is pretty hilarious. I totally know the feeling. As I finished my first 20K, at the last mile marker, they had the symphony playing and were handing out champagne toasts instead of water. I stupidly grabbed one of these. I crossed the line and saw all these guys standing around drinking beer and stuff; all I could think was how horribly I needed to used the facilities. I felt so sick, that champagne tore me up pretty well.

Post that pic when you get a chance, would be awesome to see. I'm off to grab a puff myself.  :mrgreen:
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...