News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

guyforget

i dont run much, my left knee gets pretty sore if i push it.  it hurts sometimes when i hike a lot but in that case i just dont let it bother me because its easier to adjust my stride or steps when hiking than when running. 

but, today we were riding our bikes on our local railtrail (converted railroad to trail) and my fiancee was telling me how people who do triathlons say that the hardest part is the transition from biking to running, and that it feels really crazy in your legs.  so about 12 miles into a 15 mile ride, we put our bikes down and ran for a mile. 

holy crap is it hard!  im sure there are some techniques or tips to make it a little easier, like using a lower gear leading up to the transition or something, but next time youre looking for a challenge and have a bike around, get on it for a few miles before you take off running, its pretty wild.  after about a half mile things start to feel normal again, but that first half is like trying to lift a ton of bricks w/ your thighs. 

-AD_

ghost_2000

I'm a Brooks man myself.  Needed to upgrade the GTS 9s but the 10s don't come out until January.  So I went with Defyance 2.  Great for longer runs, b/c they have the most cushioning of any Brooks I've seen so far.

Asics aren't bad, either, but Brooks is where it's at. 

sls.stormyrider

use to run in Nikes, now Saucony's. Whatever fits / feels best, and that would be different for everyone.

Quote from: GBL on August 30, 2009, 12:10:03 PM
So, I'm going shoe shopping this week, should I get 2 pairs?  One for my more serious runs and a pair of cross trainers, for general workout?

My plan is to start going to the gym Mon, Wed, Fri and do about 10-12 minutes of running followed by some moderate upper body strengthening (i.e. sit ups, push ups, and pull ups).

And as Matt suggested earlier in this thread, the week after ill bump it up a lil bit, then a lil bit more, etc.

I would get 1 pair for now
keep a log, shoes are good for about 400 - 500 miles (for running)
when you get your next pair, you can use the "old" pair when you do the strenghthening.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

GBL

Quote from: slslbs on August 31, 2009, 10:55:10 PM
I would get 1 pair for now
keep a log, shoes are good for about 400 - 500 miles (for running)
when you get your next pair, you can use the "old" pair when you do the strenghthening.

Thanks
If this is love, I'm never going home..

aphineday

Did 3 miles yesterday, and listened to the studio album of Joy. Didn't make it through the whole thing on the run obviously, but KDF totally gave me a kick in the ass to keep going. Enjoyed this record while running.

Did a 4 miler today and listened (half heartedly) to a new advance of a record my buddy has been talking up. The band is called Brand New, and it was hell. I tried and tried, then about mile 2 I realized that I couldn't do it and had to switch. Went with Brian Wilson's Lucky Old Sun record from last year. That man is amazing. Total awesome run record.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

alcoholandcoffeebeans

brand new?
sheesh, i'd not trust that friend for music anymore ;)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

aphineday

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 02, 2009, 09:46:16 AM
brand new?

Yeah. We've grown up together, but we are so far apart musically. He listens to what I would call complete crap. Nickelback, Shinedown, Brand New... I drug him to the Chicago Phish show and I think he was pretty bored even though he tried to get into it ;)

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: aphineday on September 02, 2009, 01:29:05 PM
brand new?

Yeah. We've grown up together, but we are so far apart musically. He listens to what I would call complete crap. Nickelback, Shinedown, Brand New... I drug him to the Chicago Phish show and I think he was pretty bored even though he tried to get into it ;)

Nickleback?

Shinedown?

ouch.
Bring in the dude!

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on September 02, 2009, 01:30:24 PM
brand new?

Nickleback?

Shinedown?

ouch.

yes, ouch...

too bad you didnt' drag him to Pearl Jam the next week.. mayeb you two could have found common ground ;)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

aphineday

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 02, 2009, 01:32:40 PM
brand new?

Nickleback?

Shinedown?

ouch.

yes, ouch...

too bad you didnt' drag him to Pearl Jam the next week.. mayeb you two could have found common ground ;)

You know I never really thought about it, but I bet you are right. I know he likes Pearl Jam, and so do I (at least a lot more than any of the other bands he listens to).
And yes, very ouch on his musical selections. He actually called me when his GF refused to go see Shinedown with him, and although he made it through Phish for me, I just couldn't do it. I feel like a bad friend, but that music is just ridiculous to a new level.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: aphineday on September 02, 2009, 01:53:07 PM
Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 02, 2009, 01:32:40 PM
brand new?

Nickleback?

Shinedown?

ouch.

yes, ouch...

You know I never really thought about it, but I bet you are right. I know he likes Pearl Jam, and so do I (at least a lot more than any of the other bands he listens to).
And yes, very ouch on his musical selections. He actually called me when his GF refused to go see Shinedown with him, and although he made it through Phish for me, I just couldn't do it. I feel like a bad friend, but that music is just ridiculous to a new level.

friendships are very important, but there are somethings you just can't sit through/do even tho you love them dearly.... i can imagine shinedown (whatever the fuck they are) is one of them.

guyforget

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 02, 2009, 01:54:37 PM
shinedown (whatever the fuck they are)

my thoughts exactly.  but, after being introduced to the milkshake song earlier today, ive reached my "new music you know you wont like" threshold for the day.  shew. 

-AD_

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: guyforget on September 02, 2009, 01:56:30 PM
Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 02, 2009, 01:54:37 PM
shinedown (whatever the fuck they are)

my thoughts exactly.  but, after being introduced to the milkshake song earlier today, ive reached my "new music you know you wont like" threshold for the day.  shew.

that milkshake talk was priceless... i was in tears laughing on the bus...
you should have known not to ask ;)

damn right, it's better than yours :P