News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghost_2000

Quote from: G. Augusto on October 26, 2009, 06:33:27 PM
Quote from: mattstick on October 26, 2009, 06:32:21 PM

If 10Ks are getting easy, time to get that time under 45 minutes...

I run to listen to music.

Me too.  Which is why running early in the morning, or late at night, or when I'm tired, or when I'm pissed...just isn't that hard sometimes.  If you do it right, a 5 or 10-miler flies by in no time. 

Play_It_Leo

I'm in the minority, but I don't listen to anything while running. I've been running 17 years and just never did it. As much as I love music, I enjoy the peace of just me and my thoughts.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

ghost_2000

Nothing wrong with that.  The music helps me pace myself quite a bit.  I just did a 10K and didn't use an iPod for the first time.  I can't say it was awesome, but it wasn't horrible. 

I lurk over at the Runners World forums, iPods/MP3 players at races (whether they're allowed or not) is a HUGE issue.  Apparently, some people take offense to other people listening to music while racing.  Why?  I never understood that. 

Play_It_Leo

I got my wife to stop listening to music on training runs for her safety, be it cars or other people that she wouldn't hear approaching. Doesn't bother me in races though.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Play_It_Leo on October 29, 2009, 11:17:24 AM
I'm in the minority, but I don't listen to anything while running. I've been running 17 years and just never did it. As much as I love music, I enjoy the peace of just me and my thoughts.

I'm with you there. I only listen to music (while running, obv.) if I'm on a treadmill. Even on an indoor track, I want to hear the world around me
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

G. Augusto

Anyone else watch the race this AM?

First American male to win the NYC Marathon since '82!

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=ap-nycmarathon&prov=ap&type=lgns

QuoteNEW YORK (AP)—Meb Keflezighi became the first U.S. man to win the New York City Marathon since 1982 on Sunday, a victory that capped an outstanding day for American distance running.

Derartu Tulu of Ethiopia captured the women's race, with two-time defending champ Paula Radcliffe falling back to fourth then grabbing her left leg in pain after finishing.

Keflezighi, the 2004 Olympic silver medalist, learned after a disappointing performance in the U.S. Olympic trials in New York two years ago he had a stress fracture in his hip. He capped the long and painful comeback with a landmark victory against a deep field for his first major marathon title.

That day in 2007 he also lost close friend Ryan Shay, who collapsed and died during the race. Keflezighi said the tears he shed after winning were for Shay.
Defending women's champion Paula Radcliffe, of Great Britain, reacts after crossing the finish line in fourth place at the New York City Marathon, Sunday, Nov. 1, 2009, in New York.

Born in Eritrea, the 34-year-old runner became a U.S. citizen in 1998. He was second in New York in 2004 and third in 2005. Wearing "USA" on the front of his jersey, Keflezighi won in 2 hours, 9 minutes, 15 seconds.

"The USA gave me all the opportunities there is in education, sports and lifestyle," he said. "To be able to represent the USA is a big thing for me."

A field of nearly 44,000 started the 40th edition of the race. The 53-degree weather was about perfect for the runners, although they were slowed by 14 mph winds.

Keflezighi pulled away from Robert Cheruiyot of Kenya in the 23rd mile to beat the four-time Boston Marathon champ by 41 seconds. Alberto Salazar had been the last American men's champion, taking three straight titles from 1980-82.

Morocco's Jaouad Gharib finished third and Ryan Hall of the U.S. was fourth on a day when six Americans were in the top 10 for the first time since 1979. The race doubled at the national men's marathon championship.

Ludmila Petrova, a 41-year-old Russian, was the runner-up for the second straight year in the women's race, while Christelle Daunay of France was third.

Radcliffe said she had tendinitis behind her knee. The world record-holder from Britain failed to win a marathon for just the third time in 11 starts.

The 37-year-old Tulu won Olympic gold medals on the track in the 10,000 meters in 1992 and 2000. Her only marathon title came in London in 2001.

She had struggled with her weight and endurance after the birth of her second daughter three years ago. But when she ran well at a half-marathon in Philadelphia on Sept. 20, she decided to enter New York.

"I did not come here necessarily expecting to win," she said, "but I did expect to be a strong competitor."

ghost_2000

I watched.  Strong showing from the American men.  Maybe it's a shift back to the hey days of US-domination in the long distances.

(probably not).

I was pulling for Ryan Hall but he didn't have it today. 

6 days until my first full!

G. Augusto

Quote from: ghost_2000 on November 01, 2009, 06:27:31 PM
I watched.  Strong showing from the American men.  Maybe it's a shift back to the hey days of US-domination in the long distances.

(probably not).

Good luck, man.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: G. Augusto on November 01, 2009, 06:28:08 PM

(probably not).

Good luck, man.

good luck, have fun
Quote from: sunrisevt on October 30, 2009, 11:03:02 AM

I'm with you there. I only listen to music (while running, obv.) if I'm on a treadmill. Even on an indoor track, I want to hear the world around me

same here. as much as I listen to music in every other aspect of my life, I don't when I run. Part of it is a safety issue, part of it is I guess a zen thing. Want to get my own rhythm, I'll typically repeat a song in my head over and over like a mantra (once ran a marathon to Sample In a Jar)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

antelope19

You all have inspired me once again!  I'm going for a run after work!   :-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sunrisevt

Quote from: slslbs on November 01, 2009, 11:50:11 PM

good luck, have fun
Quote from: sunrisevt on October 30, 2009, 11:03:02 AM

same here. as much as I listen to music in every other aspect of my life, I don't when I run. Part of it is a safety issue, part of it is I guess a zen thing. Want to get my own rhythm, I'll typically repeat a song in my head over and over like a mantra (once ran a marathon to Sample In a Jar)

^^^Yeah, I do that, too. I'll get a tune or jam in my head and it will work its way in to my stride and settle in for miles.

And good luck & godspeed, ghost_2000.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

ghost_2000

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.  It's 5 miles farther than I've ever run before, so I honestly have no idea what to expect.  My right shin has been achey for the past 3 weeks, which is cause for concern.  I'm just focused on hydration and rest right now...and a HUGE spaghetti lunch on Friday!   :beers:

sunrisevt

Bring on the dirty jokes everyone, but it needs to be said--

ghost_2000, rub that shin. Ice helps, too--I apply ice directly for a minute or so, let it warm back up, keep going like that until the ice cube's gone--but rubbing a splinty shin is the most effective, I've found. Make a cuff out of both thumbs & both index fingers, tighten around the lower leg, and drain towards the foot. And push both your thumb pads right where it aches on your shin, too.

In my experience, race-day nerves generally outweigh any other factors. If you can run 20 miles confidently, you can run 26.2. Not comfortably, necessarily--there's some will involved in the last 6 miles. But you can do it, absolutely.

sls.stormyrider

you can definitely do it.
again, just stay within yourself the first 20.

don't get too discouraged over the sore shin. Ice it, stretch, etc like sunrise said.

For some reason, during the taper, and beginning of a marathon, it's pretty common to have all kinds of aches - once you get going you'll be fine.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

ghost_2000

Thanks guys.  I have no doubt I can finish, it's just a matter of whether I can meet my goal time.  My shin does concern me, though, and I hope it doesn't cause problems late in the race.  But I'll plan on trying what sunrisevt mentioned! 

:phish: