News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aphineday

Thanks guys, great advice. I've been using the Saucony Hurricane 10s that I was wearing this fall, and I think that I might be getting cold feet (no pun here) because they are getting wet. Will try the Thinsulate, and the ankle socks for sure. Any good Gortex type shoes you might recommend? I have a pretty flat foot, so that can be a pain sometimes.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

mattstick

I wear Nike's - the Pegasus is a pretty flat shoe, but there is also a support/control shoe which they make in Gortex.

All depends on your feet - hit up your local Running Room and talk to the manager.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: aphineday on December 18, 2009, 03:59:55 PM
Thanks guys, great advice. I've been using the Saucony Hurricane 10s that I was wearing this fall, and I think that I might be getting cold feet (no pun here) because they are getting wet. Will try the Thinsulate, and the ankle socks for sure. Any good Gortex type shoes you might recommend? I have a pretty flat foot, so that can be a pain sometimes.
the best thing for flat feet are orthotics. custom ones can be expensive, but worth it over the long run. they last > 10 yrs and I couldn't run without them (verrrrrry flat feet). They make some you can buy "off the shelf" that might be good, too.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

So who's up for a 2010 Nike+ Challenge?

guyforget

Im joining this club.

Never been a runner before. Ive always been moderately fit from just being active and eating properly, but since turning 30 about 16 months ago I have definitely notices that my metabolism alone isnt enough to keep me fit anymore.

Im also aware that if I want to hike / bike / ski in CO in the same way that I did back at home in NC and WV, I need to be in better shape.  Its just bigger, steeper, harder, and theres less oxygen in the air.

So, as my only xmas gift, I bought a pair of Asics Cumulous 10 runners and have been on the treadmill for 3 weeks.  I started w/ intervals of 2 mins walk, 3 mins run for 30 mins.  Now Im doing 3 mins walk, 5 mins running for 40 mins. 

Im still waiting for the point where I actually "enjoy" it, but I know that as I progress it will become more enjoyable. Also when I start to see the results applied to my goals, which is to be able to enjoy my favorite outdoor recreations w/out struggling for air.

Cant wait to run my first 5k w/ my wife.
-AD_

Play_It_Leo

Quote from: guyforget on January 05, 2010, 05:37:47 PM
Im joining this club.

Never been a runner before. Ive always been moderately fit from just being active and eating properly, but since turning 30 about 16 months ago I have definitely notices that my metabolism alone isnt enough to keep me fit anymore.

Im also aware that if I want to hike / bike / ski in CO in the same way that I did back at home in NC and WV, I need to be in better shape.  Its just bigger, steeper, harder, and theres less oxygen in the air.

So, as my only xmas gift, I bought a pair of Asics Cumulous 10 runners and have been on the treadmill for 3 weeks.  I started w/ intervals of 2 mins walk, 3 mins run for 30 mins.  Now Im doing 3 mins walk, 5 mins running for 40 mins. 

Im still waiting for the point where I actually "enjoy" it, but I know that as I progress it will become more enjoyable. Also when I start to see the results applied to my goals, which is to be able to enjoy my favorite outdoor recreations w/out struggling for air.

Cant wait to run my first 5k w/ my wife.

Awesome allen, good to hear! It definitely takes a while to get to the point where you enjoy it, but once you get to that point it's fantastic.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

guyforget

hey, thanks p_i_l.  yeah, i'll get there. i have my wife as motivation, too, shes been running for years while i sit at home and give myself the munchies. so itll be cool when i can keep up with her and we can run together. currently she'd leave me in the dust, huffing and puffing.

until then, i'll keep plugging away to get to the point where i find it enjoyable.
-AD_

sls.stormyrider

awesome!
when the weather gets better, hope you try the roads. I'm sure the scenery near where you live doesn't suck, and might make it more interesting for you.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sls.stormyrider

so - I got one of those Nike chips. I plan on the first run with it Sunday. Hopefully, I'll be able to do a calibration fun first, but there might be snow on the track.

Is anyone else on line with it?

sls.stormyrider

1st run with Nike + today.
couldn't calibrate it cause the track is covered in snow - the cal is a little off.
8.6mi according to the sensor, 8.3mi according to mapmyrun.com, 8.2 according to my car.
I like the instantaneous pace / distance info.

guyforget

after matt posted about nike+ challenge and my wife started reading about, its all she talks about.  thanks, 'stick.  so, im guessing she'll be online w/ it in the next few weeks.  i think shes gonna sign up for a half marathon in may, so...   pressures on me to catch up. 
-AD_

G. Augusto

Still use mine.
I love it.
Gotta start training real soon for the LI Marathon in May.

mattstick

Allen - I still have the Nike+ Nano attachment to send out to you - been really busy and disorganized with GF moving in but I'll get it out.

Last year on Jan 28 I started training for the Ottawa Half-Marathon which is at the end of May, very doable to get that far in your training in a few months.

also, Nike+ challenge anyone?

G. Augusto

mattstick

I've only setup Challenges which were most KMs over a time period.

What are the other options?