News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

January is in the books and I logged 220.6km on the road.

Had a tough, cold 22km run yesterday, rounding into shape for the race season which starts in Grimsby ONT, 2/28.

whyweigh5.0

I'm not running (bad knee) but just started biking again
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Play_It_Leo

Ran 7m this AM for the first time in probably 2 years. 51 minutes. Nice weather for it here (about 35*F) Still have a long way to go.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

sls.stormyrider

my nike+ sensor seems to have recalibrated itself. The same run it called 10.18K last week is not calling 8.44K. same exact course.

anyone else see something like this?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sls.stormyrider

same run today
gave me 6.8 km
(real distance is 6 miles)

I don't get it
:?
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sunrisevt

Quote from: Play_It_Leo on February 02, 2010, 12:52:33 PM
Ran 7m this AM for the first time in probably 2 years. 51 minutes. Nice weather for it here (about 35*F) Still have a long way to go.

Dude, you have to have been running during those 2 years, though, right? 51 minutes for 7 miles is pretty fast.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sls.stormyrider

Play_It_Leo

Quote from: sunrisevt on February 06, 2010, 03:01:14 PM

Dude, you have to have been running during those 2 years, though, right? 51 minutes for 7 miles is pretty fast.

My last big race was a half marathon in the fall of 2007. Was training well the next summer til I thought I was getting a stress fracture in my foot. Started training again last summer, but often I'm only able to run 2 times a week.

Quote from: slslbs on February 07, 2010, 12:51:42 PM
He was a 5:00 miler in HS

You're on the right track, but that was 15 years ago.
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

mattstick

I had to do the math, that's 4:38/km clip - very fast for a training run.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Play_It_Leo on February 08, 2010, 02:59:29 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on February 06, 2010, 03:01:14 PM

My last big race was a half marathon in the fall of 2007. Was training well the next summer til I thought I was getting a stress fracture in my foot. Started training again last summer, but often I'm only able to run 2 times a week.

Quote from: slslbs on February 07, 2010, 12:51:42 PM
He was a 5:00 miler in HS

You're on the right track, but that was 15 years ago.

stress fracture would suck.

5 min mile definitely doesn't suck, no matter when you did it, even if it was for just one mile. nor does a 7:18 training pace over 7 mi  (that's about my tempo pace).

very impressve

mattstick

Lately I've been torn between whether I should be training on the treadmill or outside - I've come to the conclusion that a mix of both is probably the best option.

Running on the streeet you get slowed down by traffic, in the winter I worry about slipping on icy spots, and it's difficlut to hydrate as well as indoors.
Running on the treadmill is easier (no hills/wind resistance), but consequently I can push the tempo and get a better workout.  But it's not "real world" conditions for race day...

Thoughts?

Play_It_Leo

Quote from: mattstick on February 08, 2010, 03:53:46 PM

Lately I've been torn between whether I should be training on the treadmill or outside - I've come to the conclusion that a mix of both is probably the best option.

Running on the streeet you get slowed down by traffic, in the winter I worry about slipping on icy spots, and it's difficlut to hydrate as well as indoors.
Running on the treadmill is easier (no hills/wind resistance), but consequently I can push the tempo and get a better workout.  But it's not "real world" conditions for race day...

Thoughts?

Easier for me to say here in St. Louis, but if weather allows it, outdoors anyday over treadmill. Mechanically, on a treadmill, you basically just have to keep up with the belt. The muscles that you use to push yourself forward (glut, calf, hamstring to some extent) hardly have to work. You essentially end up working hip flexors and quads.

sls.stormyrider

I hate treadmills.
Only use them when I have to, like being away and having to run early in the AM and worried about personal safety.
I'd rather do a speed workout, or any workout outside, but that's just me.

On the other hand, extreme cold (put your personal definition of what that is) and icy roads can make runnning a little less fun and a little more dangerous.
And, like you said, control of pace on a treadmill is more controlled by your brain than your body. that can be both good and bad. For getting the feel of racing, the "real world" of the road, like you said, is better imo.

I guess the bottom line is do what works for you, and do what you have to do considering weather and road conditions, etc (I once did 20m on a treadmill before a marathon. sucked, but didn't have a choice).

A mediocre run is better than no run.

guyforget

i suck at running outside.  the cold air just freaks my lungs out.  i huff and puff and never catch up with my breath, even running at the same pace that i can sustain for 30 minutes inside on the treadmill.  its kinda frustrating... 

i try to run "full stride" on the treadmill.  its way easy to get into a lazy rhythm on it, barely lifting your legs, etc. 
-AD_

MiamiPhish

Does anyone have experience taking whey protein as a supplement to running and or lifting?  I've just started taking three scoops (60g protein) with cold water 15 minutes after running or lifting and though I can't really see the effect yet, I can feel it.  Recovery boost: check.
But I'd be interested to see if anyone had anything negative to say about it.