News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Thanks.  It's just disappointing to train so hard for so long, then go out there and be exhausted at 24km.  My split at the 1/2 was perfect for pace and I didn't feel like I went out too quickly, but things got really tough over the second half.

I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong, whether it was just a bad day, maybe I didn't train properly, not sure.

In one way I feel like dealing with the exhaustion and pushing through it was more of an achievement than the first marathon I did.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mattstick on May 31, 2010, 12:22:19 PM
then go out there and be exhausted at 24km. 
This line blows me away, I can't imagine making it to 24 km.  Just the fact that you are able to pull these runs off is a feat in itself.  Isn't this your 1st one of the season?  I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, you're bound to get better as the season wears on.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

Been there - it sucks
You trained your ass of for 4 - 6 months and then have a shitty day.

See if there is something you can learn from it, if not forget about it.

you can still say you have run 2 marathons, which is 2 more than most people think of trying.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

Once I fought my way to 31km I started to think "11 more km and you'll have finished your second marathon".  I wasn't running fast or anywhere close to my pace but the "just do it" attitude got me through.

guyforget

way to go matt, sometimes its just not your day, but as long as you dont give up and live to fight another day, you win. 

how'd heather do?
-AD_

Play_It_Leo

Quote from: slslbs on May 31, 2010, 12:29:01 PM
Been there - it sucks
You trained your ass of for 4 - 6 months and then have a shitty day.

See if there is something you can learn from it, if not forget about it.

I've used races I've felt like that about as motivation for the next time around. Glad you were able to push through feeling shitty and still finish up.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

mattstick

Quote from: guyforget on May 31, 2010, 01:58:19 PM
how'd heather do?

Heather had a rough day too - went out too fast and finished up slow.

Quote from: Play_It_Leo on June 01, 2010, 09:09:52 AM
I've used races I've felt like that about as motivation for the next time around. Glad you were able to push through feeling shitty and still finish up.

I'm already there - after marathon #1 I couldn't even think about running another marathon, this time out I'm going to rest a couple weeks then get right back at it.

antelope19

Well, I did it.  I signed up for the Annapolis 10 Miler.  We're doing it as an office(there are only 4 of us) which should certainly be entertaining to say the least.  First training session was this morning.  5 miles!  The run isn't until the end of August, but this'll be the farthest I've ever run before(in a race anyway).
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

10 miles is perfect - a Half-Marathon starts to get tough around 10 miles.  Good luck!

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on June 10, 2010, 10:37:12 AM

10 miles is perfect - a Half-Marathon starts to get tough around 10 miles.  Good luck!

Thanks man.  I'm def. gonna need it.  :-)

Play_It_Leo

Quote from: antelope19 on June 10, 2010, 10:35:00 AM
Well, I did it.  I signed up for the Annapolis 10 Miler.  We're doing it as an office(there are only 4 of us) which should certainly be entertaining to say the least.  First training session was this morning.  5 miles!  The run isn't until the end of August, but this'll be the farthest I've ever run before(in a race anyway).

Good luck Jon! Hope your training goes well.
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

UncleEbinezer

Been reading this thread a lot today.  Downloaded the Couch-to-5K running plan that has been suggsted here which looks promising.

I started running this week just started small.  Get up a few minutes early and jog/walk about 1 mile.  I feel better already.  Came to this thread looking for advise on getting started and it has delivered. 

Thanks for all of the tips on getting started and hopefully I can make this part of a good morning regiment.

Oh and good luck there Johnny!
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

Play_It_Leo

Congrats on getting started Uncle Eb. May be helpful to sign up for a 5K that's a couple months away too. Can help keep motivation up on rough mornings if you've got something definite to shoot for.

antelope19

Quote from: Play_It_Leo on June 10, 2010, 01:35:26 PM
Congrats on getting started Uncle Eb. May be helpful to sign up for a 5K that's a couple months away too. Can help keep motivation up on rough mornings if you've got something definite to shoot for.

QFT

I know myself, and this 10 miler is exactly what I need to keep my ass motivated.

rowjimmy

Wife got me jogging tonight.

That's quite a trick.