News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aphineday

Quote from: Play_It_Leo on May 31, 2011, 08:22:58 AM
Quote from: slslbs on May 30, 2011, 10:45:49 PM
Quote from: Play_It_Leo on May 30, 2011, 02:32:24 PM
Quote from: aphineday on May 30, 2011, 11:48:52 AM
Getting ready for a 20K this weekend.
This will be my 3rd time running it.
damtodam(dot)com if anyone is interested in checking it out! Pretty cool race.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

And here's a youtube link and some further reading & video analysis for those interested:

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

thanks - I've been thinking about this for a while.
I'm a very flat-footed pronator. If it wasn't for orthtotics, I couldn't walk, let alone run. I'm curious to know how this would work for people like me.

Steve, I'm not sure if there's a point where your feet are "too far gone" to do this. All the muscles that support your foot are still there, so I would imagine it would just take you a while to build up the proper strength.
It's interesting for sure. I am also a flat footed pronator, but maybe not to that level. I wear the Saucony Hurricane, and it's about the best shoe I've found for my running style. I've tried numerous options from Asics to New Balance, and an Under Armour in there as well. The concept of barefoot running sounds very cool to me, but I've wondered how I would do.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: aphineday on May 31, 2011, 09:18:36 AM
Quote from: Play_It_Leo on May 31, 2011, 08:22:58 AM
Quote from: slslbs on May 30, 2011, 10:45:49 PM
Quote from: Play_It_Leo on May 30, 2011, 02:32:24 PM
Quote from: aphineday on May 30, 2011, 11:48:52 AM
Getting ready for a 20K this weekend.
This will be my 3rd time running it.
damtodam(dot)com if anyone is interested in checking it out! Pretty cool race.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

And here's a youtube link and some further reading & video analysis for those interested:

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

thanks - I've been thinking about this for a while.
I'm a very flat-footed pronator. If it wasn't for orthtotics, I couldn't walk, let alone run. I'm curious to know how this would work for people like me.

Steve, I'm not sure if there's a point where your feet are "too far gone" to do this. All the muscles that support your foot are still there, so I would imagine it would just take you a while to build up the proper strength.
It's interesting for sure. I am also a flat footed pronator, but maybe not to that level. I wear the Saucony Hurricane, and it's about the best shoe I've found for my running style. I've tried numerous options from Asics to New Balance, and an Under Armour in there as well. The concept of barefoot running sounds very cool to me, but I've wondered how I would do.

I'm not worried about being "too far gone". My feet were flat ever since I remember. Even when I was a kid, when I walked out of a pool, you see my entire footprint.
I'm just curious about the bio-mechanics of it all and how it would work for people like me.
I haven't had a chance to read about it yet. Hopefully this week.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Play_It_Leo

Gotcha. Good luck, there's plenty of info out there if you look around enough.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

khalpin

Running in my first 5K tomorrow.  Hoping to make it to the finish!

aphineday

Quote from: khalpin on June 03, 2011, 08:06:03 AM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes. You'll probably become addicted ;)

My 20k starts so early. Wait, moving to Today I Hate thread.
Fuck 5AM load time.

sls.stormyrider

good luck!

5AM - wow. hope they serve coffee at the start
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

khalpin

Quote from: khalpin on June 03, 2011, 08:06:03 AM
I actually enjoyed it quite a bit and can definitely see myself doing it again.  Finished at 26:20. 

MiamiPhish

Quote from: khalpin on June 04, 2011, 11:55:07 AM
I actually enjoyed it quite a bit and can definitely see myself doing it again.  Finished at 26:20.

Awesome, dude.  Keep up the running!

mattstick

aphineday

20K done! I'm way slow, but I finished nonetheless.
2:32 Minutes / 12min miles. I'll get there...

sls.stormyrider

strong work khalpin and aphineday
:beerbang:

Play_It_Leo

Quote from: slslbs on June 04, 2011, 11:25:40 PM
strong work khalpin and aphineday
:beerbang:

Congrats guys, nice job!
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

justjezmund

IM SO THERE!!

http://www.superballix.com/runawayjim5k.html

QuoteI love the smell of motor oil in the morning. Eight years after the last race in Limestone, Maine, The 101st Running of the First Annual Runaway Jim Memorial 5k Road Race will curve around the speedway on Saturday morning at 11:15am sharp. It's technically 5.5 kilometers, 3.4 miles, but we know you're serious and want to give this race 110%. Drug testing will not take place before and after the race.

Officially registered runners will receive a numbered race bib for official timing. We encourage runners to pre-register online as only limited registration may be available at Watkins Glen. If you're not registered, have no fear -- runners who are not registered may run at the end of the pack behind the Official Runners. Trophies will be awarded to the fastest Male, Female, and cheetah, and the 2nd and 3rd place finisher over all.

The course race will be shown on the venue map you receive when you arrive at Super Ball IX. Runners will be running on pavement not grass.

The Runaway Jim Memorial 5k Road Race Registration Table (providing Numbered Bib pick up, General Race Information and Course Maps) will be open on Friday from Noon-8pm at the ReCharge Lounge in the back of the concert field and on Saturday morning beginning at 9:00am at the Pit Stop across from the yellow and red grandstands, which is also the starting and finishing point of the race.

Race entry is free to all ticket holders. Pre-Registration is ONLY available online through JUNE 30TH at NOON. Pre-registration is limited so sign up now by sending your name, email address, cell number to 5k@superballix.com.

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

aphineday

Quote from: JustJezmund on June 08, 2011, 01:18:16 AM
IM SO THERE!!

QuoteI love the smell of motor oil in the morning. Eight years after the last race in Limestone, Maine, The 101st Running of the First Annual Runaway Jim Memorial 5k Road Race will curve around the speedway on Saturday morning at 11:15am sharp. It's technically 5.5 kilometers, 3.4 miles, but we know you're serious and want to give this race 110%. Drug testing will not take place before and after the race.

Officially registered runners will receive a numbered race bib for official timing. We encourage runners to pre-register online as only limited registration may be available at Watkins Glen. If you're not registered, have no fear -- runners who are not registered may run at the end of the pack behind the Official Runners. Trophies will be awarded to the fastest Male, Female, and cheetah, and the 2nd and 3rd place finisher over all.

The course race will be shown on the venue map you receive when you arrive at Super Ball IX. Runners will be running on pavement not grass.

The Runaway Jim Memorial 5k Road Race Registration Table (providing Numbered Bib pick up, General Race Information and Course Maps) will be open on Friday from Noon-8pm at the ReCharge Lounge in the back of the concert field and on Saturday morning beginning at 9:00am at the Pit Stop across from the yellow and red grandstands, which is also the starting and finishing point of the race.

Race entry is free to all ticket holders. Pre-Registration is ONLY available online through JUNE 30TH at NOON. Pre-registration is limited so sign up now by sending your name, email address, cell number to 5k@superballix.com.

Already registered ;)

mbw

Quote from: aphineday on June 08, 2011, 01:40:35 AM
Quote from: JustJezmund on June 08, 2011, 01:18:16 AM
IM SO THERE!!

Already registered ;)