News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

thanksgiving - choice of 5K vs 5m
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Caravan2001

Heading to the Portland Marathon tomorrow to check it out.  Should be cool.  I was a fairly serious cyclist (3-4K miles/year) for the last few years but had to move out of my house for  re-model 6 months ago and all my gear has just gotten spread around.  Could never even run for a full two minutes without my back just becoming crippled for days.  Running just felt weird and I was never even remotely attracted to it.  After I lost my exercise outlet (cycling), I though I would give running a try.  Tat was back in May, and I did the Couch to 5K because I was afraid my back would just quit on me.  That is a super slow program, it takes 8 weeks to get up to 5K, but that's what worked for me.  It is great having a routine.  I have run every M/W/F since I started that back in May, usually get on the road at 6:30.  I do some weekend runs too (about to head out).  I am fully addicted now.  Longest run is still only 5 miles and my fastest pace is 8:30 but I am not trying to break any records (or my body). 
Anyway, just got totally bit by the bug, was happy to find this forum, I read the whole thread.  What I love about running over cycling is that I put my shoes on and go.  With biking I would have to get my gear together, or inflate my tires or change my tubes or adjust my brakes.  And spend a ton of money on gear.  I bought a nike+ nano and a pair of Gel Nimbus and I was good to go for the most part.  So much more relaxing than all the gear.  And the best part about it is that with running, I can (at this point) get a really good workout in 30-45 minutes (3 or 4 miles plus warmup) and on the road bike I would need to get out for 65 miles (3-4 hours) for a decent workout.  We will see if I can keep my perfect attendance record going as the weather turns here, but as of now, I have never felt better. 

sls.stormyrider

anyone do any races this AM

Feaster 5, 5K
21:58

now I can have all the turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie with a clear conscience
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Caravan2001

Quote from: slslbs on November 22, 2012, 05:00:13 PM
anyone do any races this AM

Feaster 5, 5K
21:58

now I can have all the turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie with a clear conscience

Was going to do the Turkey Trot at the zoo but ended up sleeping in.  Still got in a good 4 mile run (pace 9:15) which was great because it is a nice dry day here and the weekend is supposed to be wet.  Since my last post, I went to the Portland Marathon and it was pretty rad.  Me and JP and Hick's friend Sarah came in 3rd place for the women at 2:58 which is pretty fast if you ask me.  I was averaging 12-15 miles a week before all the rain came, but I am down to 9-11 miles a week now (3-4 miles three times a week).

sls.stormyrider

as long as your out there doing it.

QuoteHick's friend Sarah came in 3rd place for the women at 2:58 which is pretty fast if you ask me.
that's a great time (faster than the 5K pace I ran today)

Gundo

After constantly running myself in to a wall, no pun intended, I was starting to get really frustrated with my inability to run at least 30 minutes every other day without feeling like dying during my run. So since winter break started I decided to find some things to help get my body and mind feeling good. I started looking around for some low impact workout plans to get myself SLOWLY back in shape without over-doing it. I found this app on my iphone called the 10k runner and I gotta say that it's the best thing that has happened to my body since my travel hockey days. I strongly suggest this to anyone who has a hard time getting past that first initial back-in-the-workout-game workout. The program is supposed to take you from "sitting on the couch" to 5k to 10k and then if you really feel like pushing yourself there is a half-marathon runner after that. The first week is simple. For example, the first day is a 5-minute warm-up walk and then alternating a 1-minute run and walk and 2-minute walk, and then a cool-down walk. It's super easy. I'm five weeks in and I feel great. I just got back from my run tonight and it was a piece of cake. I'm positive there are similar programs on smart-phones as well. CHECK IT FOOLS!

Augustus

Been training for the Sleepy Hollow half in NY on March 23rd.
Haven't run a sanctioned 13 in a while, so I'm pumped up.
Pretty hilly and scenic, this one is gonna be dope.

My wife and I are making this our "last" extended weekend together before little J comes this Summer.
A few nights in Sleepy Hollow and then shooting over to Mohegan Sun in a fat suite.

This is only the 3rd annual Sleepy half, so hopefully I can make it a tradition.
Pumped.

sls.stormyrider

antelope19

Quote from: Augustus on February 20, 2013, 06:38:15 PM

My wife and I are making this our "last" extended weekend together before little J comes this Summer.
A few nights in Sleepy Hollow and then shooting over to Mohegan Sun in a fat suite.

This is only the 3rd annual Sleepy half, so hopefully I can make it a tradition.
Pumped.

How'd it go today??
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Augustus

Quote from: antelope19 on March 23, 2013, 06:04:27 PM

Pumped.

How'd it go today??

Just ok.
Been sidelined for a month with a crack knee, but I rolled up and finished in 2:15.
Ok for zero training in the past month on a really hilly course.
I'm gonna run it next year all proper.

antelope19

Quote from: Augustus on March 23, 2013, 06:39:00 PM

Pumped.

How'd it go today??

Just ok.
Been sidelined for a month with a crack knee, but I rolled up and finished in 2:15.

Yeah, I'd say you did pretty well considering. Glad to hear it!

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: antelope19 on March 23, 2013, 06:41:15 PM
Quote from: Augustus on March 23, 2013, 06:39:00 PM

Pumped.

How'd it go today??

Just ok.

Yeah, I'd say you did pretty well considering. Glad to hear it!

yep, good work!!

Augustus

Thanks, guys.
It's kinda nice knowing that I have the cardio strength to just run 13 miles "cold."
Gonna run the LI half in 5 weeks with better results.
Also, I've never been this sore EVER.

antelope19

Quote from: Augustus on March 24, 2013, 03:36:19 PM
Thanks, guys.
It's kinda nice knowing that I have the cardio strength to just run 13 miles "cold."
Gonna run the LI half in 5 weeks with better results.
Also, I've never been this sore EVER.

I bet.

I'm hoping to sign up for a race soon. Been working my way back up to 5 miles, 2-3 times a week again.

Augustus

Nice, dude.
Keep running!