News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Runners World has a good web site with lots of training tips for all types of runners.
If you think your technique is off, try going to a good running store and try on some shoes. They'll watch you run.
I was looking at people's shoes before the race - for the 1st time in a while, I didn't see any minimalist or barefoot type shoes. It seems as if there were some injuries from that method, too.
Don't worry about pace if you're just starting. Just go out, have fun, and don't get injured. It's probably better not to be a Type A self competitive type like me, anyway
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Guyute

Quote from: slslbs on July 05, 2013, 08:34:24 PM
Runners World has a good web site with lots of training tips for all types of runners.
If you think your technique is off, try going to a good running store and try on some shoes. They'll watch you run.
I was looking at people's shoes before the race - for the 1st time in a while, I didn't see any minimalist or barefoot type shoes. It seems as if there were some injuries from that method, too.
Don't worry about pace if you're just starting. Just go out, have fun, and don't get injured. It's probably better not to be a Type A self competitive type like me, anyway

Thanks, I'll go to Runners World.  We have a great local running store here that the few marathoners I know swear by, guy is supposed to be really good.  If I get real into it I am going to go to him for shoes to make sure I have the exact right fit.

Did 3.5 today in the 90+ degree heat and high humidity.  Time was a little slower, but really focused on my leg kick and coming down more mid foot and not right on the edge of my heal.   Felt a lot better after.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

mattstick

Quote from: Guyute on July 05, 2013, 09:20:30 AM
Hey guys, congrats on the times and races, encouraging running through the thread. 
Just starting to run myself, lot easier without the extra 85 pounds, knees didn't like it when I was 275.

Any suggestions on sites about technique and training?  I want to run 5k this summer and then a local charity 7 miler with a friend in the fall.  Feel like I am way too much on my heels.   Able to go out and do about 3.5 miles without issue, pace is slow 8:35/mi last 2 runs.

Thanks for any help.
-G

Your foot should strike the ground just behind the arch of your foot.  That said, running technique is nearly impossible to change, if you're doing something wrong you'll have to work for years at changing it.

Just make sure you get fitted for shoes by a pro, I'd do it sooner rather than later as well.

Guyute

Figured out my mistake.  I was making a very long stride causing me to land on the back of my heal.  That combined with years of marching band causing me to roll on my heels.  Shortened the stride a bit and I am hitting just before my arch, but not flat on my heel.   Been successful the last 4-5 runs like that. 

Working on a good kick and duration now.   30 minutes yesterday at 7:40/mile.   Did insanity this morning and then 3.5 miles tonight at 8:04.  Slower, but it was a second workout.

thanks for the pointers to sites guys.   

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

sls.stormyrider

^^^
great

ran the annual Jerry Garcia Memorial 5K last night (in the rain)
21:18 (6:53), 3rd for age
didn't stick around for the brews and the band as usual cause of the weather, still a fun evening though
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Augustus

Guyute

Quote from: slslbs on July 26, 2013, 06:43:17 PM
^^^
great

ran the annual Jerry Garcia Memorial 5K last night (in the rain)
21:18 (6:53), 3rd for age
didn't stick around for the brews and the band as usual cause of the weather, still a fun evening though

Nice work!!

Augustus

Most of you probably saw the pics and vid I posted on FB, but yesterday I ran the Long Beach 5 Miler and placed 3rd in my division (30-34).
Stoked! Ran it in 39:50/7:58.
Got a trophy! For running!

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Augustus

DoW

you definitely should have had the fluffhead sign.
or is 'Read the Book" the new Fluffhead.  I can;t keep up.

but good job.
oh yeah, and you're old.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Augustus

Quote from: DoW on September 03, 2013, 09:01:29 AM
you definitely should have had the fluffhead sign.
or is 'Read the Book" the new Fluffhead.  I can;t keep up.

but good job.
oh yeah, and you're old.

Sometimes I feel old.
Training for the Philly Marathon in November, so I'm putting up some miles each week.

antelope19

Congrats, Bud!  That trophy belongs on the mantel! 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

DoW

Nice man.  I applaud you.  I always wanted to run a marathon but never put in the training.  Maybe someday I'll motivate myself.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Augustus

Quote from: DoW on September 03, 2013, 09:08:17 AM
Nice man.  I applaud you.  I always wanted to run a marathon but never put in the training.  Maybe someday I'll motivate myself.

Do it before you turn 35... :wink: