News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

For sure.
I'm big on carbo loading throughout the week before a race, but I honestly can't stomach a huge, carb-heavy meal the night before.

mattstick

For Ottawa I tried this technique where you eat no carbs 2 weeks before your race, then on race week eat only carbs.

The "science" here is that your body starts to crave carbs and then starts to conserve them, then you hit it with lots of carbs.

I can't say I've ever really noticed an impact of what I ate the night before running...

My 30K is in the evening, which presents it's own challenges.

Caravan2001

Me and JPhishman's friend Sarah Horn finished the Boston Marathon today with a time of 3:03.  She came in 170th for women.  That is a pace of 7:00/mile.  I don;t know about you guys, but I'm impressed.  That's a good time, right?

Caravan2001

Quote from: Augustus on April 14, 2014, 04:26:33 PM

Been getting bogged down on the Clif BLOX (I also hate Gu), so the dried fruit is a welcome addition.
Enough tweaking, race is 3 weeks out!

What do y'all use for race nutrition?

I'm not a runner, but I am a big fan of Gu for cycling.  I only like to do the ones with caffeine in the morning (just one), caffeine bugs me out when I am racing, makes me feel weird.  I'll do a cup of coffee before and maybe one caffeinated gel.  Otherwise I do a Gu pack every 45-60 minutes and if it is 3-4 hour ride, I like the clif blocks ok (strawberry.)  I also do one plain water and one Gu drink in my bottles.  The drink and the gels give instant/quick acting burst for me, but sometimes I need something more solid so I will do blocks or even a reg cliff bar (just a piece, not a whole one).  ANyway, that's in cycling so it might not apply to running.  Sports beans are good too....Hammer heed makes me want to barf....

pcr3

Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 21, 2014, 11:39:03 PM
Me and JPhishman's friend Sarah Horn finished the Boston Marathon today with a time of 3:03.  She came in 170th for women.  That is a pace of 7:00/mile.  I don;t know about you guys, but I'm impressed.  That's a good time, right?

Well done by both of you. Can't believe an American man won today.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

Augustus

Yeah, 7 min pace is badass!
That's a great finish time.

I tend to avoid caffeine before/during any race longer than 10 miles, but I will have coffee before training runs that are shorter than 15 miles.
It's weird, but race day produces the butterflies and the last thing you want is any GI issues to mess with all of your training.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 21, 2014, 11:39:03 PM

Awesome time!

As far as caffiene goes, I'm a regular coffee drinker (addict) so I always have a cup about an hour before a race. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wasn't used to caffiene. I avoided the caffeinated gu / gel when I was doing marathons.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

Because I was in NOLA last weekend and I have to work this weekend I pushed my Sunday runs unto Wednesdays for the next couple weeks...  Just ran 11km on my lunch hour, work is feel in' easy breezy this afternoon as a result.

sls.stormyrider

Best of luck tomorrow Aug (LI marathon iirc)
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

antelope19

Quote from: slslbs on May 03, 2014, 09:28:54 AM
Best of luck tomorrow Aug (LI marathon iirc)

Hanging out with Politicians and shit on a Sunday!  Good Luck! 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Augustus

Thanks guys!
Feeling pretty good.

Augustus

DNF.
Felt all sorts of fucked up after the half.
Ran 19 and called it.
I'm straight hurt.

antelope19

Quote from: Augustus on May 04, 2014, 11:46:43 AM
DNF.
Felt all sorts of fucked up after the half.
Ran 19 and called it.
I'm straight hurt.

Oh man....hope you're ok. Hang in there.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mbw

sls.stormyrider

don't worry about it.
sometimes you just have a bad day

my 1st marathon Bill Rodgers was a DNF