News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

New year, new man!  :wtu:  :angel:

Making an effort to get back into some sort of shape again and oh man it's killing me.  Today was my third day running and working out and I'm still pretty much in the 'this sucks' phase.  No joke, I couldn't even make it 1/4 mile on my first run. The combination of the altitude out here, the cold air, and the fact that my pot-smoking ass hasn't exercised for 10 years really did me over.

What's the best way to get started..... should I be going for time or distance? and how about stopping/starting? Today I made it maaaaybe a mile total but stopped and walked 3 times. Felt like I was gonna die about 7 times. 
Bring in the dude!

mattstick

Run 10 minutes, walk 1.  Do that 2 or 3 times, then do it twice.
Work your way up to marathons doing 10s and 1s.

August

Chyeah!
Have a goal before you start.
Either a time goal, or distance.
So if running half of a mile is tough, make that your goal and don't stop until you hit it.
Slowly increase your goal after you hit each one.

sunrisevt

Yeah, pretty much what they said. I was going to recommend just building up to running 1/2 hour daily at a pace comfortable enough to maintain.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Caravan2001

I used the Couch to 5K program which worked for me.  It's really gradual, and starts with a lot of walking.  But it worked for me.  I need a plan or program spelled out for me.  If I left it up to myself I wouldn't get it done.  You can just google couch to 5k and find the plan.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: August on January 05, 2018, 06:54:48 PM
Chyeah!

I knew there was one thing I could count on getting you psyched about!
Bring in the dude!

gah

Yeah bud! So I started with walking 4 min, running 1 min, did that for 30 mins, then started  increasing the run segment 3 walk/2 run, then 2 walk/3run, then 1 walk, 4 run, etc basically 5 min increments....til i was running the full 30 mins, then just started upping the time. You'll be running long distances in no time.

Speaking of, ran a 16 miler the other day in 26 degree weather. After doing a handful of half's over the last year and a half, decided to push it to the next level and try and do a full for my 41st birthday in March. It's an incredibly daunting mileage...the other day, after I hit 13 miles, I was like,w ell, it's like I just had to run a half marathon to get to the start of a 5k, that's all. Just three quarters of a mile to go....and then I thought, and then do 10 more....and the insanity of that just started to cause me to start laughing hysterically like a maniac....and just as suddenly, I got dead silent at the enormity of it. Any advice there Aug, on training for your first full?

Anyhow, I don't mind running in the cold, but this snow has put a damper on my training this week.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

August

Sick! First bit of advice is to have fun with your training!
The long run is king. Knock those out and try your darndest to get your weekday runs in, especially when it's the last thing you wanna do during these cold weeks.
Which race is it?

sls.stormyrider

that, and don't worry about time / pace. Be comfortable, go slow
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

August

WhatstheUse?

So when does this get 'fun'?

I've powered through 5 days now, really felt I needed a rest today. My body is tired and my brain is confused at what I've been putting myself through!
Bring in the dude!

August

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 07, 2018, 11:59:18 AM

I've powered through 5 days now, really felt I needed a rest today. My body is tired and my brain is confused at what I've been putting myself through!

Take the rest.
Have you been listening to music on your runs?

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: August on January 07, 2018, 12:21:18 PM

Take the rest.

For some reason I actually have not been...
Bring in the dude!

August

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 07, 2018, 05:51:01 PM
Quote from: August on January 07, 2018, 12:21:18 PM

Take the rest.

For some reason I actually have not been...

Might help. Load up a 10 or 15min track and don't quit until it's done.
I've made a bunch of mixes to help with solo long runs.

gah

Quote from: August on January 06, 2018, 07:18:36 PM
Sick! First bit of advice is to have fun with your training!
The long run is king. Knock those out and try your darndest to get your weekday runs in, especially when it's the last thing you wanna do during these cold weeks.
Which race is it?

The Shamrock Marathon in VA Beach, so it's a totally flat course, so that's cool. Yeah, this past weekend is the first time I've missed my Sunday long run, but we got a foot of snow, and its just made the roads a sheet of ice for the last 4 days. Do you think I should try and make it up by running it mid week this week in place of one of my shorts runs, and then still do my Sunday long run? Or just skip it at this point? I've still got 10 weeks to go, so it's probably not a big deal?

Quote from: August on January 07, 2018, 10:34:02 AM
Oh, and get on Strava ;)

Oh yeah, I'm on there now. And I joined a local run club on the app too, which has been motivating, especially on those cold days, and you see everyone else went out and did their runs.

Quote from: slslbs on January 07, 2018, 10:18:38 AM
that, and don't worry about time / pace. Be comfortable, go slow

Yeah, at first I was thinking it'd be cool to finish in 5 hours (11:27 pace), and my 16 miler the other day I was within pace of that, but I know the reality of keeping that up for another 2 hours just isn't gonna happen, so I'm just looking to finish really, and I'll be happy with that. I did my best half at a 10:23 pace, so I don't really know how that converts over to estimating a full marathon pace though.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.