News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Personally, missing 1 long run isn't a crime.

Just stay on schedule
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 07, 2018, 05:51:01 PM
Quote from: August on January 07, 2018, 12:21:18 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 07, 2018, 11:59:18 AM
So when does this get 'fun'?

I've powered through 5 days now, really felt I needed a rest today. My body is tired and my brain is confused at what I've been putting myself through!

Take the rest.
Have you been listening to music on your runs?

For some reason I actually have not been...

try going 4 days week, no more than 2 - 3 days in a row.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

August

Come at me!
https://www.strava.com/athletes/9350641

10 weeks out is not that bad if you miss a LR.
You might feel great if you bang it out on Wed and then nail your weekend LR, too ;)

5hrs is a great goal.
If you've ran a 2:16 Half, it's VERY obtainable.
My one bit of advice regarding LRs is to run comfortably.
If you're familiar w/ LSD, most programs tell you to run 60-90sec slower than goal pace.
Just go out and get your miles done. If you run close to goal pace (11:20), that's great! Especially if it feels easy.
Some runs will be slower and some faster.
But 10 weeks is a LONG time from now and you will be stronger/faster by then. Go for sub-5.

We'll talk nutrition/hydration next time ;)

Caravan2001

Quote from: August on January 08, 2018, 03:24:11 PM
Come at me!
https://www.strava.com/athletes/9350641

10 weeks out is not that bad if you miss a LR.
You might feel great if you bang it out on Wed and then nail your weekend LR, too ;)

5hrs is a great goal.
If you've ran a 2:16 Half, it's VERY obtainable.
My one bit of advice regarding LRs is to run comfortably.
If you're familiar w/ LSD, most programs tell you to run 60-90sec slower than goal pace.
Just go out and get your miles done. If you run close to goal pace (11:20), that's great! Especially if it feels easy.
Some runs will be slower and some faster.
But 10 weeks is a LONG time from now and you will be stronger/faster by then. Go for sub-5.

We'll talk nutrition/hydration next time ;)

I'm very familiar with LSD....

Also, anyone else on Strava get at me too...really helps me with motivation.  Just don't look at my 2018 stats lol.  Been a slow start.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/76968

aphineday

Warning - this is going to be a little bit of the feels here for me, so just be warned. My entire life, I have been the fat kid. I played football in high school - until I decided that burning trees in the church parking lot and listening to the Sex Pistols was cooler. Either way, I absolutely hated the stigma that comes with being the fat kid, and just kind of hid behind that self deprecating bullshit for way too many years.
Around 2009, I had an epiphany. I had always eaten pretty well - my mom always had fresh fruit and veggies at meals... and when most families were eating Hamburger Helper, we were eating stuff like white beans with chicken, or healthy stir fry with quinoa or something that most of my friends thought was "weird". It was normal for me. My mom was (and continues to be) excited about new health foods, and eating pretty clean overall. It wasn't called eating clean back then, but the same deal. So my epiphany was - you eat all this healthy stuff, and you like it - how the Hell are you still fat? Well the answers require a lot of digging, but they are super apparent when you just look at it. I was able to buy other foods as well, and who doesn't like cheeseburgers and tacos? When you eat all of those, and then tank down 2-3 servings of this healthier stuff for dinner, you can still blow up the scales.
I decided I'd start running. Not fast, but running. I had never run a mile in my life, but I was bound and determined to do so. I ran slow, and what most people call laughable, but who cares, fatty was running. I got used to cars of people passing me and hearing them laugh, but it honestly just started motivating me even more. I would think "It's pretty easy to laugh at the fat guy running while you suck down another cancer stick and eat garbage in the car... fuck those people".
Next I broke the plain of 2 miles, then 3, and finally, I ran a 5K. After doing this on an every other day basis, I started to think I might enter a couple of races. Not to compete with anyone but myself, I entered my first 5K. With all this running, not eating garbage, I dropped all of this weight I had been carrying around - I lost 103lbs.
I ran my first distance race in June of 2009, a 20K called the Dam to Dam in Des Moines. They bus you out at 5AM to Saylorville dam, and you run 20K through the outskirts of the city, finally ending at the downtown levee, completing a Dam to Dam. I ran every step. I didn't finish fast, I ran like 12 minute miles, but I ran every damn step. I jammed Phish hard, ate gel packs, and hydrated like a mother. Being a fat runner (even at my thinnest, I'm still a fat runner), I sweat like insanity. I have To replenish that stuff or I start getting light headed. Again, some more accomplished runners seem to laugh at this, but anyone who truly loves running is beyond supportive. Running is the best fraternity I have ever been a part of.
Anyway, life gets in the way. I started burying emotions again, and eating straight garbage. I got married in 2015, and packed on even more weight after doing so, shit I had a hot wife, why worry about how I look, or more specifically - how I feel. I ballooned to 343lbs. Every time I would go for an aviation medical, they would tell me how I had to lose weight. Who wants a super obese pilot anyway? As many of you know, my wife took off in September. The single most devastating thing I have ever had happen to me... but as all of you awesome Paugers and other friends pointed out to me, the best advice is to focus on your kid, and take care of yourself. I wasn't sure how, but I got my ass into some old running shoes, and started walking. I was so removed from running, I wasn't sure I'd ever do what it takes to get back into shape... but I just kept putting one foot in front of the other... slowly.
I started cutting calories, and making sure that my walking workouts were at least 30 minutes, and I was often working out 6-7 days a week (too much, but I had to have it at this point in my life).
Yesterday, in Savanah, Georgia, I weighed in at 268lbs. Still pretty fat, but I have lost 75lbs since September, and I know I'm on my way to even more. The weather was nice, so I laced up the new Brooks runners I snagged a few weeks back, and put that same one foot in front of the other. I ran outside, and for the first time outside since 2013, I ran a 5K. It was slow, but fatty is back.
Life is fucked up - it kicks you in the face, and sometimes that's exactly what you need. They are ending the Dam to Dam this year, after a long span, and my ass is going to be there - slow as shit, but dancing along to my favorite shows along the way.
*I'm flying at the moment, but when we land, I'll update with some progress pics.*
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

sls.stormyrider

^^
that's awesome
working on the physical and mental aspects.

honestly nothing clears my head like running. I get so much mental stuff accomplished without even thinking about it - whether it's stress reduction that I need, problem solving, writing a talk, whatever. That's one of the reasons why I never listen to music when I run outside, even though I have music playing almost every other waking moment when I'm not at work.
keep at it!!
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

August

Great work, man!
It's true. Running will clear your mind like nothing else, especially when you're out there for a bit.
As for running "heavy", I'm one of the top ranked Clydesdales (185-199lbs) in NY, so don't sweat the weight thing. ;) Just run!
Keep up the good work, man!!

gah

Solid work man! Keep at it! Totally how I feel about running...it's my meditative space...so much shit gets worked out running...I'm proud of you for starting up again, and def keep us posted on your progress with the dam to dam training...And as for being big...bro! You're talking to Husky Pants here...At my heaviest I was at 213...quitting drinking I dropped 20, eating healthier, dropped another 20, added in running and dropped another 20...at my lowest and when I was averaging 30 mile weeks, I hit 152...back up to about 168 now, but I'm working my way back up in mileage so that might start to drop back down. I Didn't do it to lose weight though, I was just trying to be healthier and like you, used to run like 10 years ago, but then other things took priority. Either way, the weight aspect is just one part of it. There's so much more that running brings tho...my favorite thing tho has to be that meditative, quieting of my thoughts, reflective, solitary nature of it...Anyhow, thanks for the advice and support aug and caravan, I'll find you guys on strava.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

August

gah

Quote from: August on January 15, 2018, 04:43:13 PM
The NYC Marathon lottery opened up today.
It truly is THE BEST road marathon you'll ever run.

https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/run-in-2018?_ga=2.132090383.1002625974.1516012046-469134994.1509977117

So many questions. I'm glad they leave that open for a month tho to enter the lottery. It's definitely something I'd consider, but I also just want to focus on the first one. I heard someone say what would be ideal in training for a marathon is finishing without hating running.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Anyhow, I'm starting to have a ton of questions pop up, and have been trying to read up some when I get a chance, but more so just end up watching short youtube coaching/training segments.

But, can we talk about pacing and mileage? I'm trying to stick with my beginners schedule as best as I can, but some days I just go further. Today was supposed to be a 4 miler, I did 6, the other day was supposed to be 14, I did 15. Just feel like, some days it's a struggle to get the miles, other days, I just feel like pushing it. My biggest fear is over training and having to pull back a little to let my knee stop hurting or deal with plantar fasciitis or something like that. I'm not having those issues now, but I don't want to either.

My longest run in the training schedule is 20 miles, but one guy I watched the other day said that was crazy because on race day that means there's still 23% of the race mileage you've never even done, and it'd be more appropriate to get a 23-24 mile run in (approx 3 weeks) before the race day. Another person said, you should not just hit 20 miles once during your training, but should do it at least 5 times(!) so that you're comfortable with that level. Another video said, it has nothing to do with mileage, but about how much time you spend running, and to slow your pace, get less miles, but increase the time you're on your feet moving forward each week by 15-20 mins.

So questions...should I be doing more miles on days I feel I can, or just stick to the schedule? Should I try and make some of the 15+ scheduled miles into 20's instead? Pacing, if 11:27 is what I want race day, my shorter runs should be 10-10:30, medium runs at race pace, and long runs 12:30? These last two times I pushed it (16 and 15 milers), after 13 miles, I just really dropped from like consistent steady 11:30's to 14 min miles for the last few, and just reeeeally struggled. And had nasty headaches for the rest of the day taboot....but I blame that on not hydrating well. But that's a whole other conversation. Sorry for all the ?'s....just starting to have a lot pop up lately, and wanting to do this right.

OH, and for reference, this is the schedule I'm using:

August

If you're feeling good on your runs, definitely go for it!
An extra mile or two (I wouldn't push past two) is a great confidence boost!
Honestly, I feel like three rest days from running is a little too much. Even if you did 2-3 on a rest day super easy, you'll benefit.

As for 20s.....One is plenty good for your first full. You're feeling good on that 20, push yourself for ONE more mile. The goal is getting to the start line as close to 100% as you can and CONFIDENT that you're gonna finish.
IF! Training is going great and you really feel like throwing down an extra 20, make your planned 17M an 18M and make that next 18 a 20. I didn't get into multiple 20s or high 20s until I had a few fulls under my belt.
I ran one 20 for first few and it was good "enough" to hit my goal times. I used this plan for my first 3 or 4.

Any questions, post away!
You got Sls and Sunrise that have plenty experience and we'll all have a different approach.
Just keep having fun and keep your eye on the prize!

gah

Nice! Thanks for the help, yeah, I won't inundate you all at once with all the questions. I'll post them as they come up, but that's definitely helpful. And I like that NYRR training schedule; the one that I have just lists mileage, where as that one lists the type of runs. And agreed, even though, the schedule I've been using so far has one rest day and two rest or cross training days, I've been trying to do a little with weights one day, and getting on the elliptical or out for a short 1-3 mile run on off days. Thanks again.

August

Yeah, man!
What are you doing for nutrition/hydration on your LRs?
I'm shut down until Mon with the flu so I need some running talk!!

sls.stormyrider

I'll weigh in too

Agree, 1 or 2 extra miles if you feel good is fine, no more

Run the long runs slower than race pace

How many 20's?. Most of the time I ran 2. A 20 and a 22 or something like that. 5 is too many.
My "plan" was similar to Augs except that I don't have time to run an >6m mid week so I improvised. I would run 4 days total and go to the gym 1 - 2 days. Weekday runs were usually 4 - 6 with tempos / intervals once a week. My goal time for my 1st was  4hr (9 min pace). I ran it in 4:07, finished strong at a good pace and felt like I could run another mile after I was done so I was quite happy.  If I was going to do another and not care about time I would do the same thing.

Expect to have some aches/pains while training. You'll figure out what is normal for you and what is not.

Find out what your race will be having re drinks / gels and experiment with that. If you don't like it, just find something you do like and bring it yourself.

get well soon Aug!!

aphineday

Thanks for all the mad support, it certainly makes me feel like I'm on the right track. I'm not training for anything other than a 5K in Wilmington, DE in March for the Beau Biden Foundation. I think there was talk of them opening a 10K as well. Not sure I'm going to be ready to run that far by then, but I might be. I'm running 5K 3-4 times a week now, and hitting the gym on at least two opposing days for elliptical, and strength training. My ultimate goal is to just be ready to run the 20K in June, and I think it's possible for sure.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

August

Nice!
That's plenty of time to hit 20K.
Just slowly add mileage each week and make a 10M your longest run ~3wks before race day.
Keep running!