News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

Yeah, man!
Never lose focus of the big picture.

Running sick is easy.
Neck up = go easy
Neck down = take rest

gah

Quote from: G. Augusto on January 21, 2018, 02:25:55 PM
Yeah, man!
Never lose focus of the big picture.

Running sick is easy.
Neck up = go easy
Neck down = take rest

Says the guy that busted out a 5K and 5 miler back to back days with the flu. Solid work man!  :clap:

And thanks to you and todd for the kudos yesterday. John, you should hop on Strava too.

Also, I'm gonna go ahead and retract my statement regarding chaffing and bloody nips...I guess I just hadn't gone out long enough to experience it until yesterday.  :shakehead: I'll be grabbing some body glide and bandaiding up next long run for sure.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

August

:-D

It was inevitable!
If you run, ride, walk, hike on Strava, you'll get kudos from me.
You had a great run!

Strava is a great tool. It's great for motivation and a great way to be held accountable.
It's that silent push knowing that all of your splits or whatever or just laid right out there.
"Dude! What happened to you at Mile 6??" "I had to take a shit!"

August

Also, this is a great site if you wanna plan out some new LRs/runs.
There's an elevation tab at the bottom, too.
https://onthegomap.com/#/create

I use it all the time to plan out our group Sunday LRs as we'll usually have a long distance and then a shorter option for others.

gah

Thanks man. Yeah, I thought about what you said yesterday re:it doesn't get easier, you just get stronger. Felt like the first 10 miles I was just on cruise control, by the time I hit 13, I was almost preparing for things to start falling apart at 14 cause that's where I've had trouble my last two long runs, but I pushed right past that and 15 too and was like, whoa, I guess something is happening here. What funny though is I thought, if I can do a half, and tack on a 10K, that'd be pretty good for today. 18.3 That's what I'll do. And then, later in the afternoon, I was like wait, 13.1 and 6.2 is 19.3! But 3 hours and 15 miles in...math gets hard.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I'll tell you what was helpful for me yesterday, I've been experimenting with run/walk times, and so I set the garmin to 5:30/0:30 run/walk segments, shooting to maintain a 12min pace. I figured that way, every half mile or so, I'd get an indication of where I was at and adjust accordingly. But after 5-6 miles I realized I had all this time "in the bank" cause I was still going about 30-45 sec faster per mile, So I started skipping the mid mile 30 sec break and just making the mile walk break 1:30, and I think that really helped me push and get those extra 2-3 miles. Bottom line, I did 3 miles further than my last long run and at a 30 sec quicker pace. Def going to continue experimenting with that though.

August

Yeah, man!
Whatever works for you!
Everyone will have a different approach, but if you can run faster and longer and still feel pretty good at the end, you're on to bigger things.

aphineday

Apparently I never paid attention to what you were all talking about with Strava. I'll get on that!
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

August

Quote from: aphineday on January 22, 2018, 02:04:24 PM
Apparently I never paid attention to what you were all talking about with Strava. I'll get on that!

It's an amazing resource!
First, it's basically your lifetime running log.
If you run with a watch, you can sync up your Strava acct to your watch.
Otherwise, there's a Strava app if you run with just your phone.

Along your normal routes, your bound to see "segments" that other Strava users have also run and can see your progress on those sections which is cool.

There also monthly challenges and some are known to throw you free stuff (shoes, clothes, codes) for completing them. No need to win the challenge. Just finish.
It's a great tool. Plus, we'll hook you up with kudos ;)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/9350641

gah

I'll add in to the before and after pics of running in my life as well. That race pic is from fall 2016, and I slacked a little last year, but I'm trying to work my way back to that place...where going out for a run felt like ...riding a bike. Like, my body was just more efficient with it's energy use, and I remember that feeling that aug mentioned about your body feeling like a furnace, where my entire mindset was different in terms of what I was eating too, it was more like I only saw it as fuel for running...and how efficient could I make this thing, at converting what I was putting in, into output energy for running...Anyhow, keep at it brother!

August

That's great progress!
You know how you got to race weight, just focus on mileage and your body will do the rest of the work.
A super healthy diet isn't necessary to run well, nor would I advocate eating crappy all the time, just being mindful throughout the week. I really only eat super clean a week out from big races. Hydration is king, tho.

You guys are crushing it!
Very inspiring transformations!
Maybe you'll even inspire WTU to stick with running!

gah

So after my run Sunday, I had this pain in my left foot just behind my little toe that had progressively been getting more and more painful over the last week after each run. But Sunday it was kinda bad and I spent the afternoon icing it and keeping it elevated. It was painful to stand or put any weight on it. I don't know what it was, but I decided to lay off running for a few days so as to not chance injuring it further.

Def not plantar fasciitis, because I've experienced that before. And my shoes are good. I got two pairs, and rotate them, and have about 150 miles on each. Best I could tell it was maybe a micro metatarsal stress fracture from increasing the miles so much? It was the first time I'd been pushing over 40 miles, and over 8 days time had covered 54 miles, which is insane for me.

Anyhow, I'm heading down to Big Bend Nat Park for the next 4 days to hike the Outer Mountain Loop of the Chiso's Mountains, gonna cover 35-40 miles over 3 days, so I didn't wanna chance ruining my trip. And 4 days of laying off it, I feel good, and yesterday I was itching like crazy to go run, but kept myself from doing so. But I guess I'll know more after my trip. If I can hike and do the elevation gains and drops and miles and come back ok, then I'll pick up my training as scheduled. If not, I might need to lay off it for another week. But with 6 weeks left to go, I don't want to take too long of a break and lose momentum. Thoughts?

August

Just hike and don't sweat running.
Go for an easy run when you get back.
You'll be good to go. This is why most training plans are so long.
There's a built in buffer for injury/sickness/whatever.
You're good. You got 9 other toes, dude.

gah

Quote from: August on February 01, 2018, 04:07:07 PM
Just hike and don't sweat running.
Go for an easy run when you get back.
You'll be good to go. This is why most training plans are so long.
There's a built in buffer for injury/sickness/whatever.
You're good. You got 9 other toes, dude.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Truth.

I've gotten used to having some degree of pain, in my hips, knees, feet, etc...but it doesn't last long. This just bothered me because it was progressing. What's crazy is after a few days off, I kind of miss the pain/soreness/etc.

While we're on the topic: post run recovery. What do you do after runs, stretching wise? I suck at stretching and basically just don't do it. Like ever. But last week, I did a couple morning yoga for runners sessions just off youtube, which actually felt pretty good. I probably should add that in once or twice a week to force myself to stretch. I do have a stick roller that I'll occasionally do, but not often. And I have a little roller ball that I keep at work, and throughout the day take a shoe off at a time to roll my foot on to keep plantar issues at bay. But that's about it. Any must-do stretches or things you'd suggest?

sls.stormyrider

during marathon training I would do "the usual" after runs - hamstrings, quads, hip flexors, groin, calf, ITB, pyriformus after runs. Calf is especially important if you have had plantar fasciitis

I recently got one of those rollers and love it, although I don't use it nearly as much as I should.  When I'm not "training" for something special I don't stretch as much as I should, either.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

Quote from: slslbs on February 01, 2018, 04:59:34 PM
during marathon training I would do "the usual" after runs - hamstrings, quads, hip flexors, groin, calf, ITB, pyriformus after runs. Calf is especially important if you have had plantar fasciitis

I recently got one of those rollers and love it, although I don't use it nearly as much as I should.  When I'm not "training" for something special I don't stretch as much as I should, either.

Cool, cool. Yeah, I half ass some of those, but I just looked up a specific stretch for each, and will try and come up with a quick 10 minute post run "routine" of those. Yeah, the roller thing is cool, someone got it for me, but I just haven't gotten into the habit of using it much. The roller ball is easy though when I'm at work at my desk to just slip off a shoe and do for 5 minutes at a time throughout the day.