News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

August

Yeah!
I think the 24hr Championships in Italy are on a track  :-o
During the NJ Marathon in 2015, I started chatting with some dude and he mentioned that he had recently ran the 24hr race. I asked him how many miles he wound up with and he said 148!!!
That race was 2wks before that Matathon and he was pacing the 3:40 group like no big deal!

As for another crazy record, two of my running buddies (Wai Law and Byron Lane) are both in the Guinness Top 10 for the 48 hour treadmill WR. 167 and 160.
They both crushed their PRs last year.

gah

So yesterday I did my last long run, 20 miles, and now I'm supposed to start the three week taper. BUT, here's the thing, I felt like yesterday I did it here at the beach, and it was all flat and along part of the route the actual marathon is going to be on. I thought it might be easier than the 21 I did two weeks ago which was in Maryland through the hills, but it wasn't. Maybe it was the sun and it being the first warm day (80 degrees) that I'd run in. A lot happened mentally in those last few miles, where I just started on this downward mental spiral. At mile 18, I just crashed hard and felt like I'd slowed to a shuffle, barely moving much faster than the people out walking their dogs  :cry: But then afterwards, I realized I actually ran 1:10min/mile faster in this 20 than the 21 one from 2 weeks ago?! So weird. Did I go out too fast? Was it the warm weather? Was it that I was having to wear a waist pouch thing to carry my gu and gels, instead of the running jacket that I've been wearing? I don't know, but I just wish I had ended a little stronger and with more confidence going into this last three weeks.

Afterwards, in the afternoon I took a nap, but my mind couldn't stop racing with all these worries, like did I not hydrate enough? How much nutrition do I really need during the race? Is it possible to do that too much? Should I start slower? Walk more? The chaffing was a real issue too, even though I used body glide, but again, this was the first time just going out in running shorts and not running tights that I've spent the last 3 months training...do I need to reapply half way into the race? Should I try vaseline? I dunno, I just feel like I had a lot more confidence the first time I hit 20, compared to yesterday and it's got me a little anxious. Trying to just trust that I've done the miles and stick with the training plan I've been doing for the next three weeks, but a part of me wants to push it a little harder for another week or two, just to feel stronger and more confident going into it, but everything I read says that's counterintuitive to what you should be doing, especially for your first time attempting a marathon.

Anyhow, just needed to get some of this anxiety out and hear what you all think.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sls.stormyrider

don't overthink
starting out too fast is a common problem

I think the combination of heat and running 1:10/m faster had a lot to do with it. That's a pretty significant pace difference.  Either one of those alone (running faster or hotter weather) could make you feel shitty at the end of a long run.

follow the plan. goal #1 at this point is don't get hurt in training. Taper, relax
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

Yeah, I need to up my mental game here the next couple weeks, meditate, get on a more regular sleep schedule, starting focusing on eating a little better, etc...physically, just stick to doing the miles on the plan, and trust that it'll be ok. I don't know where this anxiety came from though, cause up until now, I've been enjoying the process, for the most part. Although, I'd be lying if I didn't say there's a part of me that is looking forward to it being over. Training for a marathon is a marathon in itself.

sls.stormyrider

yes it is
if you haven't been anxious until now, that's pretty good.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

August

Chillllllll.
You're in the homestretch and we all start to obsess over race day in the weeks leading up to it, especially if it's your first marathon.
Heat sucks. Carry a bottle for your race. Take a swig at each mile mark. This will keep you hydrated and break up the race a bit. When you need to refill, take the 20sec or so and fill up.
You're gonna finish the marathon.
Toe the line knowing that you absolutely will finish.

gah

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. Yeah, I had a solid run this morning that helped me bounce back from the mental beat down that long run gave me the other day. At this point, my goal is simply to finish, and I know I can do that, at least that's what I keep telling myself  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard . I just want to enjoy the experience, and regardless of how painful that last 10K might be...this is going to be great.  :crazy:

August

With each "bad" run, just know that your body is prepping you for that next level.

Again, you're gonna finish the marathon.
Clear the mind of can't, won't and what if.

Run 20 as solid as you can.
In the past, I have taken each of the final miles and dedicated each to someone important in my life.
Mile 21 for Aunt Cheryl, Mile 22 for your cat. Then you get as selfish as you want and dedicate that last mile to yourself. Think of all of your sacrifices. How far you've come. The early wake ups. Running in the rain when you could be sleeping. All that stuff. Feel alive. You'll have the following few days to harp on the pain ;)

gah

Quote from: August on February 28, 2018, 04:03:00 AM
With each "bad" run, just know that your body is prepping you for that next level.

Again, you're gonna finish the marathon.
Clear the mind of can't, won't and what if.

Run 20 as solid as you can.
In the past, I have taken each of the final miles and dedicated each to someone important in my life.
Mile 21 for Aunt Cheryl, Mile 22 for your cat. Then you get as selfish as you want and dedicate that last mile to yourself. Think of all of your sacrifices. How far you've come. The early wake ups. Running in the rain when you could be sleeping. All that stuff. Feel alive. You'll have the following few days to harp on the pain ;)

Ok, so I went ahead and got a cat to dedicate mile 22 to. Now what??!?!!  :crazy:

JK, so yeah, definitely like the idea of dedicating a mile at the end to various people in my life that helped make this happen. Def a solid strategy. Also, got my gf meeting me at mile 15 to hook me up with my phone and headphones...I wanna run the first part just enjoying the experience, but I feel like having some music for those last miles will be helpful.

Another thing that I found, just a couple weeks ago actually, was I went out running one night after work, and wasn't feeling it but wanted to just eek out 3-4 miles, but the weather was so nice, and I knew it was going to be cold and raining the next few days, and so I just started enjoying the running, and really just tried to focus on being in the moment, and just enjoying the nice weather. And ended up doing 14 miles, and feeling good about them. I think maybe Dean Karnazes said something about that in his book? I can't remember, but just focusing on being present in the moment, and the time and miles will kind of pass on their own.

So that's what I got mentally. Physically, nothing left to do prep wise. Been upping the carbs the last couple days, and def drinking more water (and peeing like every hour because of it!). Gonna be a cold one with a temp at start time about 35 degrees, and only reaching a high of 47 that day. But I'm much happier running in the 40's then in 70 degree weather, so it's cool. Got my clothes all figured out, and what I'm going to eat that morning. Got my bib number. Got my gels that I'm gonna carry. Oh, and my sister and her bf are running the half so I'm gonna do the first two miles with them (it's the same course and start time), and since they're walking more, it'll force me to start slow. I think that's it? And, maybe most importantly,  I've thrown all expectations out the window. Just going to go out there and enjoy it. What am I missing?

sls.stormyrider

sounds good
when is it?

youre right, cool is much better than warm

gah

Quote from: slslbs on March 15, 2018, 04:09:03 PM
sounds good
when is it?

youre right, cool is much better than warm

This Sunday. Stoked! And aphineday's got a 10K Saturday. And aug, you have that 50k coming up? Did you decide to do it?

sls.stormyrider

good luck!!!
I'm sure you'll have a great time

gah

Quote from: slslbs on March 15, 2018, 04:27:33 PM
good luck!!!
I'm sure you'll have a great time

Thanks man!  :crazy:

August

Dude!
The hay is in the barn! You are ready!
Sleep well tonight and tmrw. You'll prolly be all jazz'd up Sat night to sleep through the night, but you never know!
Sounds like you're ready to rock this thing!!!
Best of luck and HAVE FUN!
You paid to do this!

gah

Quote from: August on March 15, 2018, 04:40:44 PM
Dude!
The hay is in the barn! You are ready!
Sleep well tonight and tmrw. You'll prolly be all jazz'd up Sat night to sleep through the night, but you never know!
Sounds like you're ready to rock this thing!!!
Best of luck and HAVE FUN!
You paid to do this!

In so many ways!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Thanks man. Yeah, solid call on trying to get enough sleep these next couple nights, cause I know Sat night I won't get much.