News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Wireless for a desktop?

Started by antelope19, February 04, 2010, 09:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Ok, so I recently acquired a desktop computer and I'd like to figure out the best way to run it via wireless at my house.  I can't put it anywhere within reach to hardwire it directly.  I've done some research and it seems like this is a fairly cheap fix, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.  Can I use a linksys card with a different brand modem, etc?  Does that matter?  I'm sure this is an easy question/answer....But I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't know much about this stuff.   :-) 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

kellerb

Quote from: antelope19 on February 04, 2010, 09:31:17 PM
Ok, so I recently acquired a desktop computer and I'd like to figure out the best way to run it via wireless at my house.  I can't put it anywhere within reach to hardwire it directly.  I've done some research and it seems like this is a fairly cheap fix, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.  Can I use a linksys card with a different brand modem, etc?  Does that matter?  I'm sure this is an easy question/answer....But I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't know much about this stuff.   :-)

Yeah, I don't know of any specific wireless modem/wireless card conflicts.  You should be able to buy a wireless card of any brand.  If you have a local store w/ used computer parts, I'd recommend going there and looking for a big plastic tub with a bunch of wireless cards thrown in it.  pick one that fits in an open slot in your motherboard.  you may have to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.  This solution should cost you no more than $15 plus 2 hours of hassle.

<Note>  posted from a desktop computer with a linksys router and a dynex wireless card purchased/installed in exactly the above scenario

UncleEbinezer

There are no "conflicts" that I am aware of, however I did actually have some crazy conflict with a linksys card in my desktop computer.  First time I had ever seen that occur.  I took the card back thinking it was bad and it was really just a manufacturer hardware issue.  Changed to a netgear and worked wonderfully.

As for the types of cards, a USB one would by far be the easiest.  You don't have to worry about the type of slot, etc.

You can get them for $40 at BestBuy if you can't find a store like kellerb suggested. 

If you need help give me a call, I do remote support.   :-D
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D