News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

today's picks:

1.   6-7-69 & 7-16-70:  Lovelights w/ janis joplin.  BOth are required listening.  The 70 show is only partial, but good quality sound.  The 69 show is sketchier quality...so i just grabbed the lovelight, but this, as i said is required.
If you have never heard these before--do yourself a favor.
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=12892    &
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=14569

2.   6-11-76:   My first DEad boot ever, the one that started it all, for me.   Just burned  the archive copy, and i'm very happy.  Great quality sbd.(get the last copy listed)  & a  sweet show.  Always been my FAV.--funny how that works...but objectively, a very beautiful sounding performance.
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=14259

that's all 4 now...more later, --slim.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

lately i've been stuck in 72 and i've for the most part streamed parts of every show available looking for gems.
72 on the archive is a tough year to deal w/ also. The first problem is the fact that Europe (late spring/early summer) 72 is one of the more depleted areas due to the removal of shows from official releases. More problematic is trying to dissect the performances from the rest of the year(late summer> fall).  This period , is one of my favs, but the SBDS are just ...well WEIRd (pun not intended, but yes bobby is WAY up in the mix usually).  Mixing// the sound system , at this point was, i believe, going through a lot of tweaking.
and the recordings leave a lot to be desired some times, w/  one thing or another often dominating the mix usually...either vocals, phil , or bobby, sometimes the drums. That being said...i love the performances, so the few mint recordings from this period are must haves IMO.

My archive PICKS so far:

europe:   4.29  matrix source
5.7 discs 3 and 4 are PHAT...1 and 2 source sux.
5-11 obviously
5.18  previous reviews on archive missed updated source-- crispy SBD.
5.23    ((i prefer the unicorn speed corrected source-2nd listed))
5.25  very sweet one disc, great quality
5.26 classic.
-----------------
(6.17 pig's last show, quality sorta blows, but snag the 1st stella, w/ him on organ)
7.16 tricky source, but def. good stuff.
7.26  Dstar> comes a time = PHAT!
8.21>25...the berkeley shows...haven't had a chance to dissect these sources yet, but they are classic shows of course.
9.15/16 combine both to get a sweet 2 disc set from this great month!
9.21 all time classic.
11.18 HOT, HOt, HOt texas Playin'!!!!
---the rest of late fall as i said is one of my Fav periods, but i'm still pickin' through the muck of various F-ed up mixes IMO, tryin to find the keepers.

__SLIM.

Itsnotanexperience

not neccessarily related to the archive, but the recent seeding of the 5/8/77 show has essentially, finally, turned me into a huge fan of the dead.............been listening to a ton of '73s and '74s as well............

can any of you GDheads reccommend your favorite St. Stephen?   Jeez that's an incredible song!!!

VA $l!m

st stephen...that's tough , they're all good- :lol:-well, i guess the main diff. of couse would be between the two eras of when it was played most: the 2nd era from its revival at 6-9-76 on it became a much different (generally slower/spacier) beast...if you want pure in your face st stephen balls to th wall energy... pretty much pick any 68-70 version ... i know that doesn't help much, sorry...ROwjim prob. can chime in here...he has way more brain cells remaining...  HEY RJ!-- how 'bout 3-1-69...maybe?? , thats the one where they say "-except in CA" after the one man gathers line.
gotta get back on this one...but head to 68/69 for the best would be my guess, thats where you get the screaming vocals AND jer., plus the segues >the eleven are always sweet.

EDIT: after sifting through a bunch of stephen streams... i'm still stickin' w/ the anything from 68-70 comment above... though if i remember correctly i always liked the LIVEDEAD version...  an early/speedy  10-12-68 version i found was cool(crispy sound too), w/ another ubiquitous comment inserted after the 'one man gathers what another man spills' line:  (bobby:)  "--funniest thing i ever heard... :roll:"

mattstick

I like the 6/15/76 St. Stephen

sls.stormyrider

Agree with Slim on St Stephen. Live Dead, 2 from the Vault.
Just listened to 4/28/71 today and it blew me away also. Can't go wrong.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sls.stormyrider

Didn't realize the archive from E 72 was so decimated.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VA $l!m

just a little more on 72 today...

Quote from: VA slim on August 27, 2005, 03:15:06 PM
8.21>25...the berkeley shows...haven't had a chance to dissect these sources yet, but they are classic shows of course.

finished going through the aug berkely run...

8.21, 8.24-- both  PHat shows, required 72. sound/mix quality is great.
8.22 1st set quality is lame, but set 2( d.2 & 3) is separate source and better...and absolutely good enough to make this collosal other one worth grabbing.

other 72 notes...

pre- europe shows:
academy run in NY-- listening to 3-23 as we speak __dark star is mint. highly recommended, great mix/sound.
i think the partial from 3-21 would be the other from this run thats worth the DL.

--slim.

mattstick

jam>

As far as 72 goes, that Playin from Venetta OR is some of my favorite Dead. Garcia is so cookin' on the wa pedal. I play that one to my non-dead fans as a grand example of Garcia wailing like Coltrane.

VA $l!m

Quote from: derosaa on August 28, 2005, 04:40:02 AM
As far as 72 goes, that Playin from Venetta OR is some of my favorite Dead. Garcia is so cookin' on the wa pedal. I play that one to my non-dead fans as a grand example of Garcia wailing like Coltrane.

8.27 not available on the archive, but grab it at gdlive.com.
---are we getting  'sunshine daydream' on dvd??

VA $l!m

after being oversaturated w/  DLing of excessive amounts of dead shows recently, and becoming a somewhat jaded listener, it took a good kick in the ass to get me out of my rut:

4-12-78 US BLues encore is straight crack. --check it out!
  :-othis whole run is one of my late 70s , and all time favs....4-12,4-15,  & 4-16 especially ; highly recommended.
--and a great change of pace if your like me and stuck in certain eras like 72 DLing every dark star.

rowjimmy

I'd not hold my breath on Sunshine Daydream but don't give up either...

sls.stormyrider

Have you checked out 11/11/73? Someone mentioned it on the other thread. Amazing Dark Star>Eyes. A cool thing about 73 is that some of the jams contain snippets of what will eventually appear on Blues for Allah. This one has the "jam" section for the Music Never Stopped.

primus-d

Quote from: slslbs on August 27, 2005, 09:04:43 PM
Didn't realize the archive from E 72 was so decimated.

yup, it sucks they've gutted so much of it (although, as slim has well pointed out, still lots to choose from)

i know i posted this on another gd thread earlier, but in case some people are looking to fill some of the gaps, a number of them have recently been torrented over at http://tmnsp.net

4/08/72 Sbd
4/14/72 Sbd
4/26/72 Sbd
5/3/72 Sbd
5/4/72 Sbd
5/10/72 Sbd

too many goodies to mention, but check 4/08 - jerry on pedal steel for LLRain & an oh-my- :-o darkstar
After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

Aldous Huxley