News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellerb

JPhishman

We watched "Chops" last night. It's about the Lincoln Center high school jazz ensemble comp, "Essentially Ellington." I enjoyed it. These kids tear it up. There is an awesome part where Ron Carter comes into their class and teaches them what swinging is all about that is just awesome. The comp is hosted by Wynton, and I always enjoy hearing him talk music. Such a brilliant, eloquent guy IMO. Worth a watch.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

gah

Quote from: McGrupp on January 29, 2012, 09:40:42 PM
Any more recs?
My girlfriend and I watched "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia" last night. I had seen it before, she hadn't. Was definitely worth a 2nd watch. Very entertaining, funny, kinda sad...

I had a friend that interviewed the director and said they were nutso, and also an ex that just partied down with them Friday night actually. Said the were supposed to be performing at some bar in Winston-Salem, by 10pm when they were supposed to go on stage they were ripped and could barely stand. So your assessment of "entertaining, funny, kinda sad" fits exactly.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Quote from: JPhishman on January 30, 2012, 11:31:49 AM
We watched "Chops" last night. It's about the Lincoln Center high school jazz ensemble comp, "Essentially Ellington." I enjoyed it. These kids tear it up. There is an awesome part where Ron Carter comes into their class and teaches them what swinging is all about that is just awesome. The comp is hosted by Wynton, and I always enjoy hearing him talk music. Such a brilliant, eloquent guy IMO. Worth a watch.

This has been in my queue for awhile, bumped it up tho. Check out Make It Funky. I KNOW you'll dig it.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

McGrupp

Watched "Life in a Day" last night. Pretty beautiful. Not super heavy or deep. Good semi-mindless watching. Recommended.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WillBreathes

DMT The Spirit Molecule
-decent documentary

Senna
-AMAZING documentary, I am not a racing fan in the slightest, yet I was glued to the boob tube.

How I Met Your Mother
-never watched it, very enjoyable cookie-cutter sitcom

Bill Cunningham New York
-great documentary on a great subject

The Killing
-Kubrick, nuff said.
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

natronzero

Quote from: WillBreathes on February 01, 2012, 10:31:35 AM
DMT The Spirit Molecule
-decent documentary

Senna
-AMAZING documentary, I am not a racing fan in the slightest, yet I was glued to the boob tube.

Felt exactly the same about both of these.
The DMT one could have stood to lose the Joe Rogan bits.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

WillBreathes

I thought the lamest part of the DMT one was the "screen saver" visuals they plugged in at random moments.

I somewhat enjoy Joe Rogan, he is definitely very passionate about the subject of psychedelics.

WillBreathes

Oh, and Coffee & Cigarettes was just added as well.  Jarmusch!

gah

Quote from: JPhishman on January 30, 2012, 11:31:49 AM

Watched this last night. So good. Those kids are on their way to serious music careers. And yeah, the extra footage of the entire Carter teaching session was great. And you're completely right about hearing Wynton talk, I love hearing him discuss music, because he approaches it in such a philosophical way. They included the entire interview as bonus material, which was worth watch in itself. Thanks for the rec.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

McGrupp

Been watching the first season of Downton Abbey with my girlfriend.

Hated the first episode, was bored to tears in the second, and I was hooked by the third. Probably not for everyone but we flew through the first season. Def took me a while to get into it.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: McGrupp on February 07, 2012, 04:01:57 PM
Been watching the first season of Downton Abbey with my girlfriend.

Hated the first episode, was bored to tears in the second, and I was hooked by the third. Probably not for everyone but we flew through the first season. Def took me a while to get into it.

i actually threw that on my que this morning... looking forward to my evening on the couch tomorrow night.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

mbw

check out british sitcom "Peep Show"
frikkin hilarious.

VDB

My wife loves her some Downton Abbey. She's a big sucker for those period dramas. I tend not to watch them with her -- too much stuffy Britishness.

Though I did check out a couple episodes of The Tudors since there was lots of sexy time in that show.
Is this still Wombat?

WillBreathes

Triangle, good suspense/horror/I don't know what to call it.