News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

ear buds

Started by sls.stormyrider, April 20, 2012, 11:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

I have a pair of Sure EC3 ear buds I got about 4 years ago. I like them but the right one just went. I cleaned it out, but no difference.  I suspect a frayed cable or something like that. I was going through reviews of current models but wonder if anyone has any they like / don't like.
the Klipsch are getting great reviews but one thing that scares me a bit is everyone talks about how flimsy the cables look.
thanks
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

aphineday

I figure you probably aren't thinking in this direction, but what the Hell. This is grain-of-salt material, so be warned.
I have a pair of Beats by Dre that I use for running/travel etc. For a good athletic earbud, they do the trick. They are made by Monster, so they don't completely suck. I would not purchase these earbuds for every day listening, but in a pinch for exercise, they're ok.
The bass is good - damn near overwhelming at times. Highs are okay, but the mids (as you may expect) could really use the most work.
I definitely feel like I over paid, and wouldn't recommend them.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

sls.stormyrider

thanks
I mostly use them for travel, doing yard work etc outside, and working out.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Superfreakie

I have a set of pioneer earbuds. They weren't cheap, but damn it Jim, I'm not a doctor. Here is the model I have. I like them very much and where they need compensation, my little SANSA flac player has an EQ which does the trick. The site lists them at 129 but best buy had them for 100. My opinion of the Beats/Monster is that you pay at least +50$ in the price for the name.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Home/Headphones/Ear-Bud/SE-CLX60-S
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

twatts

via Googling...  YMMV, I've never read this Forum:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/earbuds

I think you should graduate to circumaurals...  YMMV... 
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional-dj-headphones-HD-280-PRO_004974   (I have these...)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/607802-REG/Grado_GS1000I_GS1000i_Dynamic_Circumaural_Open_Air.html   (lulz...)

Terry

ETA...  YMMV...
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

nab

I have been rocking the Klipsch for about 3 years now.  Although the cables look thin, I haven't had mine go out on me yet. 

I carry mine in my pocket daily. 

Best sounding buds for the money imo.

Superfreakie

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on April 21, 2012, 01:10:42 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/607802-REG/Grado_GS1000I_GS1000i_Dynamic_Circumaural_Open_Air.html   (lulz...)

rocking 1000$ Grados while raking leaves, you'd be the coolest kid on the block.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: nab on April 21, 2012, 01:42:26 AM
I have been rocking the Klipsch for about 3 years now.  Although the cables look thin, I haven't had mine go out on me yet. 

any problem with them staying in with activity?

Quote from: Superfreakie on April 21, 2012, 01:47:57 AM
Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on April 21, 2012, 01:10:42 AM

rocking 1000$ Grados while raking leaves, you'd be the coolest kid on the block.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
lol--will probably get them at some point, not for raking leaves though
:-)

VDB

I have the NuForce NE-6. Not the priciest buds out there, for sure... Though obviously they sound better than the stock white Apple things and are a hell of a lot more comfortable.

A coworker of mine has some Beats cans and I've done a little swapping back and forth between those and mine just to hear the difference. His are bassier, of course, but the sound is also more muddled. I like the sound of mine better and they sure as hell didn't cost $500 either.
Is this still Wombat?

ph92

I would get the etymotic er4p (or er4s if you are willing to have a pocket headphone amp, its "studio" model, much better fidelity) but they are the company that invented IEM (in ear monitors)/ in ear technology, so they are amazing and super reliable. I have the 4p's and I've had them for 4-5 years with no problems whatsoever. You can replace the filters on them so if the sound gets quiet or distorted in anyway you can just replace them and have (what sounds like) a brand new pair of headphones. The isolation is SO amazing you can barely hear anything when they are just in without music playing. Not to mention there are 3-4 different types of eartips to suit your needs (comfort, isolation, workout etc). Also they have a lifetime warrenty so if they ever break you can get them replaced, or repaired.

IMO the best bang for your buck in ear headphones. They are suuuper sturdy too. The sound signature is pretty detailed, not a ton of lows, but again a portable amp could compensate. The highs sparkle and the mids are very full. There isnt much deepness to the lows, but they are still really detailed. Even still though they are the best in ears I've tried at that price point. 

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-ER-4P-Portable-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B0007WZLDC
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

barnesy305

I can definitely second the recommendation to pass on the ibeats. I work in a wind tunnel, essentially, and have gone through three sets of the ibeats. They last for two months, granted on full volume, and then one of the channels dies. I'm sure you won't be putting your buds through the hell I do, but I still think they're overpriced for what you get.

kellerb

Quote from: barnesy305 on April 21, 2012, 07:47:21 PM
I can definitely second the recommendation to pass on the ibeats. I work in a wind tunnel, essentially, and have gone through three sets of the ibeats. They last for two months, granted on full volume, and then one of the channels dies. I'm sure you won't be putting your buds through the hell I do, but I still think they're overpriced for what you get.

HTC has been one of my company's clients, and I can confirm that the htc-branded Beatz have the same channel-dying issue.  And their sound is definitely as described above.  And their over-price'd-ness is also as described above

nab

Quote from: slslbs on April 21, 2012, 08:34:10 AM
Quote from: nab on April 21, 2012, 01:42:26 AM

any problem with them staying in with activity?

I've never had a pair of earbuds that stood up to heavy activity without some sort of support.

That said, these stay in as well as can be expected.  They come with 3 sets of earpieces that can help you customize.  I guess I have big ear canals for a short guy; I chose the largest.  I feel that a size larger might hold in better in high intensity physical situations. 

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

sls.stormyrider

thanks everyone
so...
read a bunch of reviews. The best reviews were for Kliptch, Bose, ER, and Senn. It's interesting - the user reviews on Amazon were about the same for all of them. A lot of "these are great, best I ever owned, better than...", a few "they broke", "couldn't get to fit right", "weren't comfortable". What I've learned about these things is that some just don't fit some people, ie I had to return my jawbone blue tooth cause it just didn't work for me. Also, Senn's customer support answered the negative reviews on Amazon (the same one or 2 answers, but still, it looks good)

anyway, I wanted to try some, but most stores won't let you because it's unhygenic. They haven't heard of alcohol wipes. Fortunately, Bose and Brookstone have, so I tried a few at those 2 stores. Didn't like the beats (too flat). Bose sounded good, my concern is that they let too much ambient sound in, which might be a problem on a plane. Also, I plan on using these in the near future while being surrounded by loud musical instruments (more to come, soon, I hope).
I went to Best Buy, confirmed that these were returnable, grabbed a pair of Kliptch. Listened to them in my car - so far so good. Then went running and jumping around the parking lot for a while, ignoring the funny looks. They stayed in, felt comfortable, and kept them (for now, anyway). I "burned them" overnight, this morning they sound great. Unfortunately it's raining so I can't test them while working outside today, but I'll work on that.

If and when I ever have time to actually sit and really listen, I'll get some Grados.
till then...