News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 1 - Bathtub Gin - (2) 08-13-93 vs. (3) 08-17-97

Started by runawayjimbo, July 15, 2012, 11:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Round #1 - Bathtub Gin Bracket

(2) 08-13-1993 - Murat Theatre - Indianapolis, IN

vs.

(3) 08-17-1997 - The Great Went - Limestone, ME

POLL CLOSE: Tuesday, 7/24, 10pm EST
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mistercharlie

Murat. Not only was it my phirst show, but the jam is just so different from anything else. From this night on I was 'riding in the bathtub' with the boys from Vermont and I've completely loved the ride.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

whatapiper

While I love the Went Gin for being there it's really no contest for me...Murat.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Hicks

Murat by a mile for me.  The Went Gin, while good, is kind of overrated IMO. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

susep

Quote from: Hicks on July 16, 2012, 01:14:30 PM
The Went Gin, while good, is kind of overrated IMO.

agreed, its a rock peak, Gin peak if you will.  its for the shred-heads.   

JPhishman

Murat.... It's just bursting with so much energy that Gin itself can't contain it... at all.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on July 16, 2012, 01:14:30 PM
The Went Gin, while good, is kind of overrated IMO.

Funny, I've always thought that about Murat (/blasphemy). I mean, the sheer level of musicianship is unbelievable, the way they move in and out of themes in unison is simply stunning. But it always seemed to me to lack the coherence that some of the other great August '93 jams had holding them together. And when they start to segue into Ya Mar, I always feel like the jam has not yet reached its conclusion (the original ripcord, if you will). It's rightfully a historical version, but it's just not one I reach for all that often.

The Went Gin, on the other hand, gets me moving a lot more. Yes, susep's right, it's rawk peaky, but in a much groovier fashion. And I'm with Hicks that it's a bit overhyped and actually I didn't have either of these on my list. Still, when they start up the theme to the final peak ~7:30, I can't help my head from bopping. So, reluctantly, I Went Gin.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

WhatstheUse?

Just gave the Murat another listen. Win, win, win. From the very second the jam starts they are killing it. Love the weird dissonance they used to have in Gin jams... wonder if they'll ever bring that back? I'm thinking "no" is a safe bet.

The second go around at the peak (10-12 min or so) is some of the most perfectly raging phish EVER, imo. The peak at 11:52 and building tension leading to it is flawless. Phish at it's absolute best, imo.

Bring in the dude!

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

danje

I've listened to the Went Gin probably 100x more than the Murat Gin.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: danje on July 17, 2012, 12:29:02 AM
I've listened to the Went Gin probably 100x more than the Murat Gin.

The thing I like about the Went Gin is that it is just one big, slow build. So patient and soooo gradual, yet keeps your attention the whole time.  7:45 -> the peak is basically perfect Phish, imo.

It sort of surprises me how Fishman jumps to the ride very early in the jam, yet the jam still builds for a long time w/o making that change again
Bring in the dude!

VDB

This is a very tough one. The Went Gin has been one of my favorite, go-to jams for a long time. I agree fully with this:

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 17, 2012, 12:46:51 AM
The thing I like about the Went Gin is that it is just one big, slow build. So patient and soooo gradual, yet keeps your attention the whole time.  7:45 -> the peak is basically perfect Phish, imo.

There are certain jams that, even apart from their objective level of quality perhaps, I connect with a little more deeply than others. I think the Went Gin, for me, is just so achingly good on such a satisfying level.

However....

The Murat Gin is a great paradigm of what Phish used to be able to do, uniquely, and do so well. I love the vocal scatting in the first jam segment. Goes briefly back into a Gin reprise and then seamlessly into some type II playfulness that they steer right into that first blissful segment. Trey starts playing Weekapaug while the others push the jam higher. Mike's lines as the jam plateaus here are terrific. By 10:00 it's wound back down into the Gin "ending" and then they just pick it right back up immediately, even more furious than before. Mike and Page at work. Machine-gun melodic work from Trey (astounding!). Even the come-down features inventive playing and a LEO! moment. The Ya Mar segue might have seemed abrupt if not for how fully satisfying the 15 minutes before it were. You don't feel shorted at all.

I would vote Went Gin over plenty of other jams... but Murat gets my nod.
Is this still Wombat?