News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Turntable repair

Started by mbw, July 23, 2012, 09:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

yo.  so, the left channel of my turntable is out.
i'm thinking its a loose cord in there somewhere.
i originally thought it was the p.o.s. preamp i bought, behringer.
i went out and got a shiny new preamp this weekend, and the channel is still out.
i managed to figure out how to remove the platter, thinking i could access the cords there, but they are still unaccessible.

is this something i should even be attempting?
the owners manual does not mention how to do it, and the service manual is a bit to technical for me.
maybe someone else can decipher it?

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/521.shtml

thanks.

rowjimmy

Try removing it from the plinth and looking for the audio leads underneath. I didn't look at te doc above due to my ahit connection here but my Dual 506 is simply a pair of RCAs connected under there and they could concievably come loose.

mbw

thanks for the answer.  i'm not sure how to remove it from the plinth, the manual doesn't mention it as far as i can tell.  i'm not the best at tinkering, and turntables kinda scare me.  i guess i am just looking to be reassured that i cant screw it up too bad....can i?   :oops:

there is a good repair shop not too far from me, they just serviced my receiver.
their labor rate for turntables was $65..... i'm not sure if that meant total or by the hour or what.

fuck it, i am going to take it apart tonight.  maybe i will live blog it.   :-D

PIE-GUY

Just listen to mono recordings only. You're welcome.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

There are probably three screws on top. Loosen these and then you can tilt them, this will free the turntable from the plinth.

mbw

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 23, 2012, 05:22:23 PM
There are probably three screws on top. Loosen these and then you can tilt them, this will free the turntable from the plinth.

ah yes, those 3 screws.  i tried those a bunch of times, but they would not come out. but, thanks to you, i tilted them and ta-da!

so....i did that.  i looked at the rca terminals and none of them appeared loose.  beyond that, they are all soldered on and there is no way i'm fucking with that.
the cables are probably bad, so alas, i will take her in.

i got it all back together no worse for the wear, i think.
as a last resort i tried a different input in the back of my receiver, but still, no left channel.

thanks for the advice/prodding.  it was fun anyway.

Augustus

The same thing happened/is still happening on my old table.
I used it as an excuse to upgrade...

mbw

Quote from: Augustus on July 23, 2012, 07:50:23 PM
The same thing happened/is still happening on my old table.
I used it as an excuse to upgrade...

i've thought that very thing....

kellerb

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on July 23, 2012, 07:45:26 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 23, 2012, 05:22:23 PM

ah yes, those 3 screws.  i tried those a bunch of times, but they would not come out. but, thanks to you, i tilted them and ta-da!

so....i did that.  i looked at the rca terminals and none of them appeared loose.  beyond that, they are all soldered on and there is no way i'm fucking with that.
the cables are probably bad, so alas, i will take her in.

i got it all back together no worse for the wear, i think.
as a last resort i tried a different input in the back of my receiver, but still, no left channel.

thanks for the advice/prodding.  it was fun anyway.

Have you tried smacking it real hard on the side, and swearing at it? (not while a record is playing)

twatts

Where are you located???  There are a few places that can tune-up you Dual...  Here's one:  http://fixmydual.com/

This might help you too:  http://dual-reference.com/index.html

http://dual-reference.com/Contacts/SCmain.html

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

aphineday

So I'm just going to post in this thread because it exists, and I don't want to start more clutter.
As a lot of you know from my post in the Vinyl thread, I broke the white wire when installing my new cartridge.
I took it to the local shop (still 45 minutes away), and had him fix it.
He said he had to heat shrink the white wire back together.
Got it aligned, and got it home.
Sounds great, but after spinning one side of a record, the right channel of my speakers got started getting a hiss, which progressively got louder until it was blaring.
I made sure the grounds were tight (it's grounded to my Cambridge Azur preamp)
I switched the red and white RCA cables on the table, and had the same problem, only on the left speaker.
When I unplug BOTH the red and white ends from either the pre-amp OR the turntable, it kills the static.
When trying to fix the ground, I touched the red RCA to the ground, and my receiver shut off (auto protect I'm assuming). It did the same exact thing when I tried to make sure the leads were tight against the cartridge.
I can also hear bleed over static on other settings (when I'm watching TV for example).
Any suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks ya'll.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

mbw

Step 1:  Don't do this:

Quote from: aphineday on May 06, 2014, 06:35:26 PM
When trying to fix the ground, I touched the red RCA to the ground, and my receiver shut off (auto protect I'm assuming).

That's all I got.

mbw

hey, i'm back with the exact same problem. (just in time for my rift to arrive)  i lol'd when i opened this thread and read my first post.
so, i may try my hand at soldering, now way i am bringing this thing back to the shop.
again my left channel is out/very faint.

before i do that, is there anything else in the turntable which would effect my left channel going out?
i have tested and it is not my pre-amp or my tuner.

Buffalo Budd

Could it be the wires in your arm/cartridge setup possibly?
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on September 03, 2015, 08:25:59 PM
Could it be the wires in your arm/cartridge setup possibly?

i dont know!