News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/19 - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - San Francisco, CA - Post-Show Discussion

Started by rowjimmy, August 20, 2012, 07:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Quote from: cactusfan on August 20, 2012, 02:55:06 PM
yes, this show was awesome to attend. best of the weekend. and that second set was great. crosseyed through rocky top was stellar. bit of a letdown with boogie on/meatstick, but then bug was real nice, and yem ended it strong. a kind of odd yem, very low key and groovy, no rock guitar, and a long, really nice drum/bass section.

i really thought at the end of light they were going into tweezer reprise. was trey playing the reprise riff, more or less? or that chord progression, anyway? seemed like it for a moment.

the energy in that room was nuts during the second set, and when they finally played reprise, the place blew up.

Forgot about that.  Maybe they'll open the next show with Tweeprise?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

VDB

Peep this excerpt from the Wikipedia article on the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium:

QuoteThe arena has hosted concerts by many famous artists, spanning many different genres, during which many psychedelics have been consumed.
Is this still Wombat?

Augustus

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 20, 2012, 04:02:21 PM
Peep this excerpt from the Wikipedia article on the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium:

QuoteThe arena has hosted concerts by many famous artists, spanning many different genres, during which many psychedelics have been consumed.

Epic!

mbw

So the crosseyed through crosseyed segment is pretty great.  Page tried to really get that light weird but trey insisted on some generic riff.  There were some actually thrilling moments however, and the sally segue is $$

aphineday

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 20, 2012, 06:04:15 PM
So the crosseyed through crosseyed segment is pretty great.  Page tried to really get that light weird but trey insisted on some generic riff.  There were some actually thrilling moments however, and the sally segue is $$
[/b]
For sure, well said.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

emay

Great second set.
All the reports back from my friends that were there said the energy in that place was off the charts, almost like Hampton 09.
They are def going in the right direction, their jams are getting better already.
3 jams over 15 min in the first 3 shows of tour! They had 1 jam over 15 min in the whole 1rst leg.

Itsnotanexperience

good stuff and i'm amped for atl and stl.....just wish trey knew how to jam reba properly.   it isnt proper to slow hand your way thru and end it a good 40% away from any acceptable peak.   

nab

Listened to the Crosseyed sequence 3 times today. 

The Light>Sneaking Sally portion is the best part imo.

The build up to the segue is absolute tits. 

The break from the initial peak to the semi-ambient groove in Crosseyed is also good stuff, as well as the short groove after the vocal break in Sneakin Sally. 

I like the subdued vocal break in Sneakin Sally as well. 

I remember joking that they were going to go into the Sally vocal break ala 80's Sallys with Uncle Eb and GAH at the Gorge in 09, and they surprised the hell out of me by doing it.  Since then it's grown kinda gimmicky.  Good to see an evolution that moves closer to emphasizing instrumental improvisation. 

ETA: I also think hear a minor, one phrase Shafty quote by Trey at the end of Sally at about 10:32 just before the transition back to the Crosseyed Reprise.  Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me. 

sophist

I skipped the first set.  Listening to the Cross Eyed > Light > Sally > Cross Eyed reprise right now.  Just hit Sally. 

This is pretty good Phish, and I don't mean that in the rationalist 3.0 new speak kind of way.  It's pretty good Phish.  The jam out of Light is what I want from them.  They drop into this fucking gnar theme that is awesome, and ride the wave into an awesome segue into Sally.  Perfect peak at the end of Light.  Tons of energy.  I got nothing bad to say about it.  ::gives hat tip::
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

Nobody thought the big tension/release build-up before Sally was kinda cheese?

sophist

Quote from: mattstick on August 21, 2012, 11:06:44 AM

I thought it worked in the context of coming out of that melodic jam.  Would I have liked to have heard them drop into something funky and slowly work the sally chords into the sally intro?  Sure, that would of been much cooler in my opinion.  But given that it sounds like the training wheels might finally be rattling off, I'll take a little cheese. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

antelope19

Quote from: sophist on August 21, 2012, 11:14:57 AM
Quote from: mattstick on August 21, 2012, 11:06:44 AM

I thought it worked in the context of coming out of that melodic jam.  Would I have liked to have heard them drop into something funky and slowly work the sally chords into the sally intro?  Sure, that would of been much cooler in my opinion.  But given that it sounds like the training wheels might finally be rattling off, I'll take a little cheese.

Kinda like forest gump.

Let's hope this is the springboard jam to he rest of leg II
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

VDB

Didn't find it cheesy at all. I thought it was a great organic improvisational moment. Loved the Sally as well -- although I agree with sophist that the segue could have shown a little more patience, the ensuing jam was some filthy stuff.
Is this still Wombat?