News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

College Football 2012

Started by VDB, September 10, 2012, 12:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

There definitely needs to be a college pigskin thread, though I hate to open it thusly...

Shitty news out of my alma mater. Devon Walker broke his spine while making a tackle Saturday, could wind up paralyzed.

edit: grammar...
Is this still Wombat?

blatboom

still haven't seen that play and have no desire to, such awful news. it always seems like friendly fire causes the worst injuries

zimbra

OU is looking rough this season.  Fastfingers12 and I both scored season tickets and the whole game last saturday night we kept being amazed at how much work our O-line needs..  Hope this problem can get fixed with a few injuries being resolved and 2 weeks of practice (bye week) before we take on K-state on the 22nd. 

Holy shit gamedays are always a blast though.  Living two blocks from the stadium & parking cars in the yard= free bar tab for all!  :beers:
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

phil

Wofford is ranked #9 in the FCS right now. Three teams from the Southern Conference in the top ten (App State and GA Southern being the other two) means a guaranteed bloodbath come november/december over the conference title. Super stoked.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: phil on September 11, 2012, 12:19:56 PM
Wofford is ranked #9 in the FCS right now. Three teams from the Southern Conference in the top ten (App State and GA Southern being the other two) means a guaranteed bloodbath come november/december over the conference title. Super stoked.

Old Dominion at #4.  While it is B-league football it is still fun as hell.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

antelope19

A college football thread that was started over the weekend and not one mention of the U lousiana Munroe upset over #8 Arkansas in OT?  Shame on you all!

Bob, I'm hoping to make it down for another ODU game this year.  The wife is heading home for 10 days, so that gives me 2 chances at catching a home game.  It seems to be a tradition now!  I make more ODU games than I do both Navy and Maryland combined. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

VDB

I happened to flip over to the Arkansas game Saturday night just in time to see the ending. Needless to say, I was most pleased with that one. I'm hoping that wasn't just a complete aberration.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Not sure this belongs in the College Football thread, but here it is.

http://espn.go.com/blog/notre-dame-football/post/_/id/8913/notre-dame-to-join-acc

Notre Dame to join ACC

Notre Dame will join the ACC as a full member with the exception of football, but will play five football games annually against ACC teams, the league announced Wednesday morning.

The Irish are currently Big East members in all sports but football. But instability in that league has left the Big East radically different than when Notre Dame first joined.

"We are committed to keeping the Atlantic Coast Conference a vibrant and competitive league dedicated to ensuring the appropriate balance of academics, athletics and integrity," the ACC Council of Presidents said in a joint statement. "The addition of Notre Dame further strengthens the rich tradition and culture of the ACC as well as allowing for future academic collaboration and we enthusiastically welcome them into the league."

ACC commissioner John Swofford said, "The ACC was founded on the cornerstones of balancing academics, athletics and integrity. Our partnership with Notre Dame only strengthens this long-standing commitment. Notre Dame enhances the league's unique blend of public and private institutions that are international in scope. The collective alumni and fan bases cover the entire country with exceptionally strong roots up and down the Atlantic Coast. This is a terrific milestone in the evolution of the ACC and showcases tremendous solidarity and vision by our Council of Presidents."

It had been speculated that Notre Dame would look for another home for its Olympic sports after Pitt, West Virginia and Syracuse left the Big East last year. Pitt and Syracuse will join the ACC in 2013, where they will compete with former Big East members Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College.

The Big East, meanwhile, has added eight new members and will have 12 schools competing in the league in 2013.

"We have monitored the changing conference landscape for many months and have concluded that moving to the ACC is the best course of action for us," Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said in a statement. "We are able to maintain our historic independence in football, join in the ACC's non-BCS bowl package, and provide a new and extremely competitive home for our other sports."
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Eh, musta been a strict money play. The ACC is a good hoops league but the Big East still ain't that bad either. I do feel sorry (not really) for ND fans now that they have to be subjected to ACC football five times a year.
Is this still Wombat?

blatboom

we'll take it I guess. can't wait to watch the Hokies take the field in South Bend some day and run circles around the domers

antelope19

Ugh. Hate this, but at least both basketball and lacrosse will be more competitive.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

phil

Quote from: antelope19 on September 12, 2012, 11:55:24 AM
Ugh. Hate this, but at least both basketball and lacrosse will be more competitive.

This. I personally hate that the ACC added any of the big east schools at all. It will be interesting to see how they split the ACC up now. I'd be in favor of something that would put the real acc schools together and then the big east schools + Florida State and Maryland in the other division
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: antelope19 on September 12, 2012, 11:55:24 AM

ACC lax will definitely be the shit, but how do they do the tournament now? Wasn't it just the 4 teams before? Gonna have to pick up Hopkins and 2 others to get a sick 8 team tourney.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

zimbra

Heard this on the radio this morning when I was driving to work.  I thought a deal was in progress for Notre Dame to join the Big12 hence the Big12 football games this year.  Guess I was wrong.

Has anybody looked at Notre Dame's football schedule this year?  Pretty impressive.   
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VDB

Is this still Wombat?