News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R15/W05: 11-15-1998 Murphy Center, MTSU, Murfreesboro, TN

Started by Caravan2001, April 29, 2012, 11:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Phish
1998-11-15
Murphy Center
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN

Set One: [01:07:31]

01. My Friend, My Friend
02. Ghost
03. Driver *
04. Scent Of A Mule
05. Cavern
06. Limb By Limb
07. Roggae
08. La Grange

Set Two: [01:11:06]

01. Runaway Jim >
02. Stash
03. Mike's Song >
04. Simple >
05. Wading In The Velvet Sea >
06. Loving Cup >
07. Weekapaug Groove
08. encore break
09. Rocky Top

Notes:
* - Trey on acoustic.

Lossy: http://www.mediafire.com/?12mfcvwwcfq8w
Lossless: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=552605

whatapiper

Stoked to spin this, I'm familiar with the Ghost and the second set but have never listened to this from start to finish.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Augustus

Nice.
This first set was a mainstay in my car's tape player in early '99.
It always felt like a complete set to me.
Second set seems rushed with all those heavy hitters...I wonder if there was a strict curfew that night?

Caravan2001

I don't remember knowing if there was a curfew or not.  I do remember leaving this show and thinking it was pretty good, but not all that.  I picked it because  I have only really listened to it once since attending (second set only) and it didn't even really grab me then.  Listened to it yesterday and was like WOAH!  I was def stoked to catch my second La Grange, the first one being at my very first show so I was pumped for that.  Will review soon since I just listened yesterday (while watching the Mets)....

whatapiper

11/15/98

MFMF- I have always really enjoyed this as an opener.  One of two for the year and both were openers.  Trey struggles and they don't recover until the lyrics kick in.  Myfe

Ghost- No complaints starting the show with this combo, jam starts off nice and mellow around 5 in.   Love Trey and Mike's interplay at 6:30+ and then quickly things take off.  8:45 and a theme emerges with everyone dialed.  Where 3.0 Ghosts go to die this one makes it past the 10 minute mark with soaring riffs from Trey and a solid backbone of Cactus/Fish soup.  Nice little jam at 13 minutes in with Page enjoying a little open space.  Seems to end a little premature but no complaints really.

Driver- Cool down

Mule- I'm a fan and Page always delivers.  Beautiful jam with too many people yelling before the duel. 

Cavern- The set is losing me a bit here but this definitely gets the crowd up.

Limb- Again a big fan and I love the placement late in the set.  Typical feel good Limb territory

Roggae- The chill continues with another favorite. 

La Grange - Big surprise here and raging way to close the set with a Julius like jam.   Stoked to have caught one at Vernon downs that previous summer. 

Jim- Getting right down to business and more than picking up where they left off.  They find a nice groove early that stays true to course.  Has a slight 96 sound with Page's work on the grand. 

Stash-  Everyone dialed and the composed sounds near perfect to my ears.  Riding off the energy from the soaring Jim opener this one seems primed to deliver.  Starts to really get interesting around 7 minutes in and doesn't slow down from there.  Starts getting nice and dark around 12 minutes in before bringing it home with a cohesive finish.   Not wasting any time >

Mike's- Loving the song selection so far this set and just blasting this place to pieces.  After some heavy bomb activity Trey has a solid foundation to jam upon around 5:30.  Kind of forced into >

Simple- Hard to go wrong here with a beautiful jam that softly leads to >

Velvet Sea- Works here for me and a passionate effort from Trey.  Silence then a sick ambient like jam that leads into >

Loving Cup- Time for a little rawk but it's the nagging reminder that things are coming to a close.  Perfect lead into...

Weekapaug- Fast intro that heads straight to funk before Trey takes the lead back and forth within the weekapaug theme. Some tasty garnishing from Page before a blistering finish.

Rocky Top- A double encore would have been nice, 1.0'd

Fun show overall, fist set loses me at one point but the MFMF / Ghost combo is sickness.  I really enjoyed the latter part of that first set and will revisit.  The second set I am more familiar with and while nothing really stands out the flow and intensity make it a worthy listen.   Great Pick!   B+
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Augustus

My Friend - A little more loose than I remember it being, but I always dig a My Friend opener.

Ghost - Nice, mellow start to the jam. Trey starts up a familiar riff at 8:30, which helps pave the way for the rest of the jam. Some nice peaks that are reminiscent of the 07-06-1998 version. Jam dissolves as Trey grabs his acoustic.

Driver - There was a good chance you'd catch this or Sleep during this Tour.

Scent - I hate Scent, but it kinda works here. Page's solo is fantastic. Airy and spacious approach to Trey's solo which eventually finds its way back to the Scent theme.

Cavern - Mid-set Cavern. OK.

Limb - Kind of a meandering version. Sans Fishman outro.

Roggae - Wait. I used to like this set. Driver, Scent, Cavern, Limb, Roggae...

La Grange - Pretty raging. Not quite 07-26-1998, but a good cap to the set. Set wasn't bad, just really mellow and short.

Jim - Again, very mellow start to the jam. They bring it up toward the end, but overall, a pretty forgettable version.

Stash - Hits on a sweet staccato/woodblock section at 7:20 in. Noises out with a good return to the outro.

Mike's - 3 heavy-hitters in a row. Big loops to kick it off. Summer '98 was a good time for Mike's. Falls were pretty good, but there were so many monsters just 3 months prior (07-17, 07-21, 08-12.) >>>

Simple - They pretty much come right in with the lyrics, which gives this set of BIG tunes a rushed feeling. 4 Heavyhitz straight and not much meat.  :| Short piano solo to end that goes into >>>

Velvet - Love the 2:30 "post" jam.

Cup - 1.0 fakeout.

Week - Supra-fast. Typical Paug stuff but peaks out nicely.

Rocktop - Fitting encore, albeit short.

Dunno, I used to really like this one, but this listen didn't do much for me.
So many songs where they could bring it out, but they never do.
Highlight is the Ghost.
I give it a C+

Gumbo72203

I wish they played Ghost like this.  Or, well Trey.  The structured theme he lands on at 7 minutes is perfect 98 Ghost money.  It gives Fishman room to pad the acceleration which enables Trey to dish out more of that cool little minor-interval motif he tosses in a few times.  But its all the prelude to the perfect Ghost theme at 8:40.

Then there's that little fill lick at 9:30 which where Trey brings in the next theme, which actually comes from the 11/11/98 Ghost.  THAT Ghost peaks harder than this.  Much MUCH MUCH harder.  There's a whole mondo-gnarly tension build/rave-up thing that this Ghost goes for towards the end but just doesn't get there the way 11/11/98 fucking HAMMERS it. 

Lol its funny, this Ghost is really Trey trying to re-create the 11/11/98 version. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Superfreakie

Quote from: Augustus on April 30, 2012, 06:44:51 AM
This first set was a mainstay in my car's tape player in early '99.
It always felt like a complete set to me.

thought you weren't a scent or limb boy?
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.